Don't Panic!
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having had a really close game with the Humans in my first play of Rune Age, finishing with 19 Damage, I thought I’d give the Uthuk a go. I started the game with the 5 1-Gold and the 3 1-Troops. First turn, my hand was 3 1-Gold and 2 Level-1 Units so I purchased a Level-2 Unit, a Level-2 Unit and took a Stronghold. Draw back up to 5. Event Card – nothing bad. Second turn, similar hand, similar buy – I’d decided that the tactic would be to take the Level-1 and Level-2 Units simply because they seemed to combo well together – Play a Level-1 first, then a Level-2, wound the Level-1, draw a card. With this amount of Unit cards in my draw deck, the odds were distinctly in my favour to draw more Units each hand.

Very soon, (within about 4 or 5 turns) I had both Forced Marches, both Battle Cry cards, and the full hand of Level 1 and Level 2 Units. With 1 or 2 Gold in my hand, it was very easy to buy back any Level-1 Units wounded and then destroyed in the previous round. I then decided to just have a go at the Objective Card to see how it went, and the following happened:

Hand – 1 Level-1, 1 Level-2, 1 Forced March, 2 Gold.
Play Forced March, destroy 1 Gold. Draw 1 Level-1, 1 Forced March.
Play Forced March, destroy 1 Gold, Draw 1 Level-2, 1 Level-1.
Hand – 3 Level-1, 2 Level-2.
Declared an attack against the Objective.
Play 1 Level-1, play 1 Level-2, wound Level-1, draw a card. Drew a Battle Cry.
Play 1 Level-1, play 1 Level-2, wound Level-1, draw a Card. Drew a Level-2.
Play 1 Level-1, play 1 Level-2, wound Level-1, draw a Card. Drew a Battle Cry.
So now I play both Battle Cry Cards. I have in front of me the following:
3 Level-2, 3 Level-1 (all wounded), 2 Battle Cry.

The Level-2’s all attack with strength 2, so that is 6 damage. The Level-1’s, as they are wounded all attack with an additional 2 strength, added to their basic 1 strength, so now are dealing 3 damage each. That adds up to 15. With 2 Battle Cry Cards, on 6 units in play, I now have an attack of 27. Ouch. OK though, I need to roll the die. 1 skull, so I remove 1 of the Level-2’s so now I have 13 damage, with an additional 5 per Battle Cry, being 23 damage in total. I win easily.

I thought I’d got lucky, so I played it again, and a very similar thing happened. This time, I had to wound a Level-2 already in play when I played a Level-2 from my hand at one point to draw again, but lo and behold I end up with an attack with a bunch of Level-1 and Level-2 Units, and both Battle Cry Cards.

Now my issue is that this simply felt too easy, so I hope I’m doing something wrong. I know that the idea with Rune Age is that you keep a small hand of cards, but this seems ridiculously easy. As I’m not buying anything costing more than 2, and I can easily create an army quickly to attack with a fairly high score, getting influence out isn’t an issue, so picking up the 2 Forced March and 2 Battle Cry Cards is simple. I never need to buy Gold, and I keep the Gold Cards I start with in my hand to be destroyed in the final battle when playing Forced March. I know I was probably fortunate to have the Forced March draw another Forced March, but with the influence system in the game it wouldn’t be hard to pay to hold on to these cards in my hand in preparation for the final attack as I don’t need influence for anything else once I’ve purchased the 4 neutral cards I want – I’m certainly not going to be buying gold.

So tell me where I did something wrong, and made an illegal play, or just tell me I’m really, really lucky, and I’ll go buy a lottery ticket. Or maybe I need to be told that it is far too easy to win with the Uthuk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I believe that the dragonlord scenario is a bit boring solo. I haven't tried it multiplayer where you can attack each other and probably shake things up a bit that way, but for solo play I really like the Cataclysm scenario which is both difficult and tense.

Don't know if that helps, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
That's correct. A similar thing can happen with the Humans with a deck full of their Footmen and a couple Knights to pick up the Forced March and Battle Cries.

In a higher player game, the other players can buy the Forced Marches and Battle Cries before you, and can attack you to force you to play your hand when you're saving it for the reward or boss.

The one where the goal is to get 20 gold was particularly annoying with the recommended cards, because the same round that I drew 2 3 golds, another player drew 2 Mindreaders and stole both of them from me.

One thing you didn't mention is how you handled the events, or if you drew them at all. I only played that scenario once, so I don't remember how bad the events are, or if they're all optional bosses that help when fighting the main boss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Panic!
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't tend to get too drawn in with the earlier event cards on this one, due to the penalty for rewards, and in the case above had the game beat before any bad stuff could happen. Just to clarify though, I was resolving the event step each turn.

Yes - I agree the latter scenario is far more tense and interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.