Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A glance at Mildred's card will show her to be a bit of an anomaly, with some very high stats coupled with shockingly low stats in unexpected areas.

The most problematic of these low stats is her Stealth. The Stealth of the average human DoA character is Green, which gives them a reasonable chance of not being hit when someone shoots at them. Mildred has RED Stealth, an awful rating generally reserved for lumbering colossi like Reaver Mark VII, who also has Yellow Armor and eight life.

Mildred, by contrast, has Red Armor and only five life. This gives her the survival prospects of an ice cube in the infernal regions once everyone starts getting ranged weapons.

Now Mildred does possess a Mental Ability which prevents anyone from launching a ranged attack at her from two spaces or less. While unquestionably good to have, this will provide her with relatively little protection out on the wide, open spaces of the platters.

What are Mildred's other good points? Well, she has Yellow Melee, Green Aim, Yellow Throw and Yellow Strength. She also does a terrific two Green damage in Melee combat. Her remaining powers allow her to strike first in melee and to receive a free natural melee attack against every enemy character who leaves her space in a conventional way.

At first glance it might appear that Mildred should be used as a beatstick, but her six Movement makes it hard for her to catch anyone, and as mentioned previously, she'll die very quickly when weapons start coming out. Then, too, with five life, Blue React, and Red Armor she can be taken down in combat much easier than most beasticks.

That's why I think Mildred is best used as a blocker. Dismiss her in and send her to the Colonial Labyrinth right away. Get her out of sight around the first bend and suddenly her Mental Ability is very valuable indeed, preventing enemy characters from firing at her in the confines of the Labyrinth.

Her natural Melee and Penetration enable her to damage virtually anyone who tries to assail her. With her first strike ability she might even be able to slay or imprison an enemy character before he has a chance to hit back.

By blocking the Colonial Labyrinth Mildred places herself in an excellent position to utilize the Colonial Tower of Maneuver, her Age bonus giving her effectively White Strength. She can do this either when you have an emergency sufficient to justify her temporarily abandoning her blocking position or when someone is coming to challenge her whom you would rather banish than risk trying to deal with, such as Reaver or Renegade.

Now I should point out that like Agent 911, Mildred is an imperfect blocker, one who can be overcome by the application of sufficient force. She has a great offense, but with Blue React and Red Armor her defense is sorely lacking. If your opponent commits enough resources to taking her down he will undoubtedly do so, but you want to make sure she inflicts as much damage as possible before she goes.

A big part of that is getting her the right cards. Mildred won't likely be taking any Labyrinth challenges herself, so she's going to be relying on the rest of your team to get her something she can use. Although she has good Aim, I would never recommend giving her a rifle; those are far too useful out on the wider board, and besides, what if she fails to kill with it and the victorious enemy takes it off her corpse?

No, the answer here is clearly a short-range, big damage, area effect Throw weapon, one which she will be practically an expert with, given her Yellow Throw. The last time I had her on my team I traded Mildred the fearsome Thorine Grenades, which had already been revealed thanks to a previous attack. This led to Mildred being completely safe for the rest of the game, as my opponent didn't dare risk the losses which he could have potentially suffered had he rushed her. If the Grenades hadn't been revealed, he undoubtedly would have gone for her and most likely would have paid for it dearly. If she and the Grenades both made it through the initial round, she could have even retreated two spaces and been ready to blast her attackers again.

Armor would go very well on Mildred, and will be an especially nasty surprise for an opponent who is relying on a force of numbers attack involving mutliple two Red damage strikes. A good melee weapon, like the four Green Partisan, would likewise be a welcome addition.

Keep Mildred's ability to strike at anyone leaving her space in mind, but also keep in mind the fact that if you don't move back in the Labyrinth in order to make use of that power, one of those fleeing past her could easily hit the Colonial Tower of Maneuver.

Like beatsticks, imperfect blockers rarely live out the game. As with life, though, it's a matter of what you did while you were here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really enjoying your analyses, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're both welcome! Thanks for the encouragement, guys, knowing that people are enjoying these is what keeps me writing them. That, and the Geek gold Hello Gregor generously gives to me.

Oh, and don't hesitate to e-mail me if there's a character you'd especially like to see next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a particularly good write-up on an advanced character! Well done, sir.

R. R. Roy, the Man in the Bright White Suit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.