Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a job offer in Cincinnati (which I'm thrilled about and will accept) but I'm not too familiar with the city (but was stationed near Louisville twice before, though, so I know the region).

Sometime next month my wife, son, and I will be in the area looking for housing.

What areas of the city should we look at and what areas should we stay away from?

Diis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
What's the job/industry?

I live in Indiana but my job is in Cincy. Don't know much more about it other than how to get to the office and that the traffic is much worse there than here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Areas to Avoid: Over the Rhine, Clifton Heights, anything near the UC campus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not currently in Cincy, but I was born and raised there.

Cincinnati is basically divided east/west by Interstates 71 and 75. Folks just don't seem to get from one side to the other on a regular basis. Then of course there's Northern Kentucky, which is part of greater Cincinnati, but its own little world in a way. I grew up on the East side, so most of what I say will focus on that area.

The stay away from areas are Over-the-Rhine, Clifton, Corryville, Price Hill, and to a lesser extent, Norwood.

Indian Hill is the "rich" part of town, where most of the local celebrities live. Well-off middle class neighborhoods include Western Hills, Loveland, Maderia, Blue Ash, and areas of Anderson Township (where I grew up). Mt. Lookout/Hyde Park tends to be the more Liberal/Artsy community. Further North up I-71 you've got Mason and Kings Mills (near Kings Island Amusement park).

Most of the good shopping is on the Northern part of I-275, from I-71 to a little past I-75. Northern Kentucky is where most of the entertainment/bars/restaurants/clubs are.

Where will you be working and what sort of neighborhood feel/price range are you going for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live just an hour north of Cincy near Dayton. I went to UC. I thought a lot of Cincy was trashy, but then I don't like cities. I think there are a lot of nice suburbs North of town.

Cranky, you live an hour away and we've never gamed?! What the hell!

As for gaming, there is a Cincy board gamers group, but I don't know how active they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the area.

Go here to see report cards on Ohio's school districts. Ohio schools have seen a reduction in state funding recently resulting in layoffs and reduced services. I have not heard similar issues with Kentucky schools.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
Welcome to the area. Go here to see report cards on Ohio's school districts. Ohio schools have seen a reduction in state funding recently resulting in layoffs and reduced services. I have not heard similar issues with Kentucky schools.

Don't get me started (and RSPed). My kids' school district had some of the biggest cuts. Wanna know why? Because we're one of the more financially well off neighborhoods so we can 'cope with it better'. Wait, hold on. So, since more of it is my money (cuz I paid more taxes) you are going to take more of it away? Fuck you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd contact
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
- He is a nice chap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
I'd contact
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
- He is a nice chap.

Yeah, I hear he has a real big basement full of games where you might be able to stay. Gets a bit damp every now and then though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help--the job is with US Water in Cincinnati (not sure where their location is in the city--I interviewed with them at their corporate HQ up in Minneapolis not in Cincy).

As far as the price range and target area--probably the "well off but not rediculously so" middle class range.

Diis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
Cranky, you live an hour away and we've never gamed?! What the hell!
2-3 hours away actually. I'm remote most of the time but get out there once or twice a month.

If I'm ever there overnight I'll let you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.