Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clearing Multiple Doom Tokens While Battling Ancient One rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Help me to help you! Help me to help you!
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While battling the Ancient One, can one investigator clear off multiple doom tokens in their turn? Is it like the Ancient One has a bunch of duplicate tasks, and as you complete one task, you set aside the dice used to do so and attempt another go with the remaining dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly how it is. Although you usually have to get extremely lucky to get more than one token off in one turn, but it is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam London
United States
San Luis Obispo
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state: "Each Ancient One has a Combat Task printed on its card. Each time the active investigator completes this task, remove a Doom token from the Doom track. Investigators may complete the task any number of times during the Attack the Ancient One step (but only once for
each time they roll the dice)." I read this to mean that you do not set any dice aside when you complete the task. How have others been playing this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AnotherHorrorFan wrote:
The rules state: "Each Ancient One has a Combat Task printed on its card. Each time the active investigator completes this task, remove a Doom token from the Doom track. Investigators may complete the task any number of times during the Attack the Ancient One step (but only once for
each time they roll the dice)." I read this to mean that you do not set any dice aside when you complete the task. How have others been playing this?

I doubt that was the intention- makes it way too easy. This, also from the same section of the rules: "During the Attack the Ancient One step, players roll dice as they did during the Resolve an Adventure Card step." I think the GOO tasks are supposed to function exactly like other tasks- you set the dice aside, which means you could remove, at most, 2 doom tokens if it's a 3-die task, per turn.

The GOO's are supposed to be hard to defeat....devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
AnotherHorrorFan wrote:

Not that way. I have been treating Attacking the Ancient One like attempting an Adventure Card with a bunch of the Ancient One's Combat Tasks, so each time a Combat Task is completed, the dice that were used for that task are set aside.
But the rules for the Attack the AO should be clearer, no doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam London
United States
San Luis Obispo
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure that is probably how it was intended. We already need an official FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ries
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to think my way through this...

If the GOO is resolved like Adventure Cards, then once you resolve an ADVENTURE, you claim the Adventure card, all your green dice and end your turn, and advance the clock.

From what we see on a GOO card, there is only 1 Task. So, wouldn't resolving that Task be the Resolution of an Adventure card with the removal of the Doom Token be your reward for resolving the ADVENTURE? Now, in the pre-GOO phases, you would advance the clock once the Adventure resolved, but the Advance Clock phase has a new trigger: failure to remove a Doom Token.

Also, if you use red and yellow dice, are they gone once you resolve your Adventure or at the end of the turn right before you Advance the Clock?

We need a FAQ or a designer to chime in here, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
magehammer wrote:
I am going to think my way through this...

If the GOO is resolved like Adventure Cards, then once you resolve an ADVENTURE, you claim the Adventure card, all your green dice and end your turn, and advance the clock.

From what we see on a GOO card, there is only 1 Task. So, wouldn't resolving that Task be the Resolution of an Adventure card with the removal of the Doom Token be your reward for resolving the ADVENTURE? Now, in the pre-GOO phases, you would advance the clock once the Adventure resolved, but the Advance Clock phase has a new trigger: failure to remove a Doom Token.

Also, if you use red and yellow dice, are they gone once you resolve your Adventure or at the end of the turn right before you Advance the Clock?

We need a FAQ or a designer to chime in here, please.

You are misconstruing the 'like an Adventure card' analogy and taking it a bit too far. That explanation was only to provide a visual for the mechanic of attempting task after task during one player's turn while Battling the Ancient One.

Like an Adventure, you roll the dice (the green and either/both of the red and yellow you can bring into play on your turn), and if you can match the Ancient One's combat task, you set those matching dice aside (removing one doom token), and you may now roll again with the remaining dice to try to resolve the task again. You can only match the task once per roll.

Failing to match the combat task on a roll is the same as an Adventure, you must set aside one die before you can attempt the Ancient One task again. You can keep rolling on your turn until it is no longer possible to match the AO's task requirements, then you have failed to remove a Doom token (even though you may have successfully removed a Doom token by completing the task earlier in your turn, you are now trying to complete the task again, and failing this means you now are failing to remove a Doom token). That is the end of that player's Attack the Ancient One step, the player then proceeds to the Advance the Clock step.

The next player then starts their Attack the Ancient One step with the green dice, plus the red and/or yellow by spending items...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.