Subject: Please sell me on continuing this game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael B
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so here's my deal, I like deckbuilding games and the mechanics of this particular game are enough for me to warrant it a pretty decent score. There is however the issue that my group and the person who actually owns the game only ever wants to play the Mercs mode and nothing else and is quickly domineering our play sessions on Saturdays with this game. Fair enough.

My problem is I'm quickly becoming burnt out on the game because it seems that in Mercs mode the game is horribly skewed to give HUGE advantages to characters with ammo and weapon bonuses. You see we have to randomly deal charachters now because people only want to play ammo and weapon bonus characters and I frequently get stuck with less effective characters like Rebecca, damage reduction Chris, or that hideous Joss guy from alliances.

Is there any way to win with these characters at all in this mode or should I just stop playing games until our group burns out on this particular game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tell your group how you feel. If they don't agree the game is unwinnable with those characters in that mode, challenge them to use them and prove you wrong.

If you are right, I don't think it would take long before they quickly jump ship and join you in playing a different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mercenaries SUCKS. Play story mode, it's so much more worthwhile!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Lee
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i disagree. mercenaries mode is better for a couple reasons.
First, there is a time limit so the game doesnt drag on and on.
Second, there is no cheap instant win by finding the gatling gun or rocket launcher or laser targetting by luck.
Third, theres no stupid boss monsters that kill your character instantly
Lastly, the characters all start out with weapons that compliment their play style.

But I have to say that this game even with all these positives the game is okay and not very fun. Alliance expansion makes the game even more boring and is the worst expansion I have ever played. The only redeeming thing is more varied monsters and the urosboros card that adds 20 health to a monster and it can be played on anyones turn to screw them over.

I give up on this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
lik11 wrote:
i disagree. mercenaries mode is better for a couple reasons.
First, there is a time limit so the game doesnt drag on and on.
Second, there is no cheap instant win by finding the gatling gun or rocket launcher or laser targetting by luck.
Third, theres no stupid boss monsters that kill your character instantly
Lastly, the characters all start out with weapons that compliment their play style.

But I have to say that this game even with all these positives the game is okay and not very fun. Alliance expansion makes the game even more boring and is the worst expansion I have ever played. The only redeeming thing is more varied monsters and the urosboros card that adds 20 health to a monster and it can be played on anyones turn to screw them over.

I give up on this game.

The game does not drag on with the Outbreak expansion: it forces you to explore or turn into a zombie.

The game rules encourage you to use the custom decks for any mode, not just Mercenaries, so that complaint is invalid.

You are correct about Alliance, though. That expansion, other than providing some new Mansion cards and some characters, is pretty much junk. Partners mode FTL.

Game is still fun, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.