Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously,

it doesn't feel like Risk AT ALL. There doesn't seem to be a lot of strategy involved. You choose your race and that's about the biggest decision to make. Everything you conquer afterwards is basically scripted (except you don't really know what you're doing). And then you have the decision when to go in decline, but that's about it. Also, unlike in Risk, I didn't really care if my people got slaugthered or not, so I'm totally emotionally indifferent in this game, as well. I like that it's less dicing than Risk, but that just goes to prove my point, it just does not feel like Risk, at all.

Only because Risk is about conquering stuff does not make Small World Risk-like.

I don't even mean to bash on Small World too much, it has it's merits as a light family game, and I don't like Risk too much either, but still, they just don't feel the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Junkfoot wrote:
There doesn't seem to be a lot of strategy involved.

Here we go again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this one has been talked to death, but I'm more aiming at the un-risk-ness of Small World here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who said it was like Risk?

I really don't like liver and kidneys and they aren't like Risk either.

Does that answer your question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all over the review section here! Almost all of the same if you want a risk-like fix, play Small World.

I say, don't.

You're comparison is not too helpful either...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's completely unlike Risk indeed. In Risk, there doesn't seem to be a lot of strategy involved. You don't even choose your starting position but get assigned random territories. Everything you conquer afterwards is basically scripted (except when you can easily grab Australia, otherwise you don't really know what you're doing). Also, in Risk, I didn't really care if my people got slaughtered or not, so I'm totally emotionally indifferent in that game, as well. I like about Risk that its combat uses dice, but that just goes to prove my point, Small World just feels a whole lot less dated than Risk.

If you want a good, Risk-like game that's not Risk but better, look for one of these:
Viktory II, Ikusa, Nexus Ops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, at least in the Risk I grew up with, people don't know what your target really is, so you can at least deceive people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Junkfoot wrote:
It's all over the review section here! Almost all of the same if you want a risk-like fix, play Small World.

If that's really true, I agree with your disagreement.

There really isn't a lot of risk like strategy in Small World. Small World is all about what race/power combos you pick and when you put them into decline and pick your next race/power.

And, that's why in the end I didn't like it. Because I wanted a cute quicker risk-like with some powers thrown in, and that's not what this game is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i guess the reason why people relate this to risk is basically be cause they are both conquest games. and most people know about risk, and know about it's problem and are looking for new boardgames to play. so while i agree totally this is not risk like in mechanics, i do use alot of "risk-like" description when talking to my non gamer friends about this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Junkfoot wrote:
Everything you conquer afterwards is basically scripted (except you don't really know what you're doing).

Huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fowler
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:

If you want a good, Risk-like game that's not Risk but better, look for one of these:
Viktory II, Ikusa, Nexus Ops

Or, if you want a good dice based monster fantasy slugathon that will last longer than risk, go for:
Titan

As to the original question, I often describe it as similar to risk, with a quicker play time, no dice, and no player elimination..... is it really like risk? No, but what else are you going to compare it to as a starting point for those not in the know....Vinci?

Risk is just a good comparison because it is known by everyone, and I would say Small World is more like Risk than it is like Monopoly, Clue, Life, Chess, Checkers.....

Another game I would use Risk as a reference for is Pandemic...there are some small similarities and some huge differences,so once again the reference breaks down rather quickly, but it is still useful depending on whether you are talking to a casual gamer or a BGG fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are we comparing Small World with Risk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm...

- Conquer stuff, Check
- Have armies you add to the board, Check
- Territories occupied, Check
- Decisions about what territoroes to attack/own, Check
- Sudden sweeps of fortune in board position, Check
- Need to beat on the leader, Check
- Rolling a die to see if you conquer, Che.. well partial Check

No, you're right, they are nothing alike.

More seriously, the fact that they have very different feels and people may like one and not the other aside, the comparison is trivially obvious on the face of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dklx3 wrote:
Hmmmm...

- Conquer stuff, Check

If you concentrate your whole game around those bullets you will lose almost every time. The most important thing in this game is getting good race/power combos, and knowing when to go into decline and pick new ones.

The actual conquest part almost plays itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guilty. I have described this game as "like Risk" and added something like "...because it is about using armies to conquer territories. But there's almost no dice rolling, so it doesn't have the excitement of the attacks in Risk. And it has a feature where if you are about to be eliminated, you can start a new army and come back on the board."

I have used the phrase "like Risk" because I do think it is more like Risk than, say, 99% of the games in this database. Sure, Nexus Ops and some others seem more like Risk than Small World does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:

I'd like to hear
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
's take on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:
BoB3K wrote:

I'd like to hear
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
's take on this.

Why, does he have a treatise on here saying the opposite? I said almost.

If I had to pick a number, I would say that 70% of the game is making good power/race choices and picking when to go into decline and whether you are going to go for a 2 race game or a 3 race game (or 4? I haven't played it a ton). And so that leaves 30% for battle decisions. But, those decisions are often pretty obvious.

I will say though that I've never played this game with a large number of players, so maybe the battle decisions become more important at 5 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T W
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly, they are both shirts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dklx3 wrote:

- Conquer stuff, Check

If that is your definition for risk-like, wouldn't Cyclades fit the bill better? I mean, everything is checked in that 1, including the roll die for combat.laugh

And to the OP : I once thought small world was risk like also,and that was the 1st thing i said when the sales person in my FLGS intro-ed the game to me ("isn't this just like risk??? I'm not interested in a game like that" )

That was about 1 month ago. Looking back now, I can't imagine what was in my mind back then when i said those untrue words shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Ryder
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's a difference between "Risk-like" and and "similar to Risk". I consider the game Risk-like in that conquering territories is a main goal of SW. However, I don't consider the game similar to Risk since they play so differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"Risk-like" is a good and apt comparison for people who aren't really into modern board games...it connects Small World to a game they're familiar with and gets across the idea of an "every man for himself" conquest game.

In implementation the gameplay is very different of course, but finding some sort of analogy to a person's prior experience is often helpful in connecting someone to something new.

It's not some brilliantly close comparison, but when painting in broad strokes for someone not familiar with lots of board games, it does the job just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
"Risk-like" is a good and apt comparison for people who aren't really into modern board games...it connects Small World to a game they're familiar with and gets across the idea of an "every man for himself" conquest game.

Exactly. It's like Risk in the "Of the games the person you're trying to describe this to grew up with, it is most akin to Risk, in that it shares far more features with Risk than it shares with Monopoly, Battleship, Clue, Scrabble, Uno, Pictionary, and Trivial Pursuit". It's executed via moving military units to conquer territories and eliminate other units on a map of non-uniform regions and connections.

Whether it's closer to Cyclades than Risk is kinda immaterial.

..I was once asked, when playing Last Night On Earth, whether it was like Risk, or if it was more like Clue. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of people compare it to Risk, and I think it's a perfectly valid comparison.

There's a map, with regions, there are tokens spreading across the map, it's all about higher total defeats lower total. How is it NOT like Risk?

Don't get me wrong, it's not remotely close to a Risk replacement. There are major mechanical differences gameplay wise... and just because you like one game certainly doesn't mean you'll like the other.

But if you're trying to give an idea of what type of game it is to somebody who has zero concept of what small world is, I think "Risk without dice" is a perfectly fine rough idea.

It's just about getting a very vague concept across to someone... in other words, you're explaining that it's not like Monopoly, or Catan, Or Carcassonne, etc... It's not a tile game, it's not a trading game, it's a territory control type game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
dklx3 wrote:
Hmmmm...

- Conquer stuff, Check

If you concentrate your whole game around those bullets you will lose almost every time. The most important thing in this game is getting good race/power combos, and knowing when to go into decline and pick new ones.

Thanks for the play advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think it is very much like Risk in terms of the board play strategy involved. In both games you can take your forces and do something obvious like go after the territories apparently best for you right now or hit somebody where they are weak and then call it scripted. However, in both games there is a lot of room for subtle play to get a long term edge. In both games, the key to success on the board play part is consideration of what your actions will encourage or enable your opponents to do and the long term position those actions will put you in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.