Subject: Was involved in an intentional car accident rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the story...I'm still shaking about this...

At one point I'm in a place where two lanes must merge to one at highway speeds. Usually this goes smoothly and the cars take turns. As I line up behind the car next to me, I notice that the car behind them is starting to merge, without lining up behind me. "Oh, they don't see me," I think, so I honk my horn. Their response it to SWERVE TOWARDS ME, forcing me off the road. I hit my brakes and get behind them, and honk loudly. I also flip them off - yes, that's immature, but I was freaked out.

When I honk, what do they do? Hit their brakes. Hard. I hit mine, now I REALLY can't believe this, so I honk again very long and flip them off again. We are now in a highway tunnel...and they hit their brakes AGAIN, coming to a COMPLETE STOP IN THE TUNNEL (this was also the left lane of the highway). I stop, the car behind me stops, but...the car behind them wasn't quick enough and there is a rear ending. The car in front of me suddenly takes off. I get out, make sure both people in the accident are OK; they are, and their cars look to have only fender damage.

But holy crap, this person first cuts me off (OK, fine, some people can't stand to wait), THEN swerves towards me, then TWICE hits their brakes probably trying to make me rear end them, and the second time creates an accident.

I did get their license plate but not the state. I told the 911 operator what it was...I would recognize the car in an instant. Yikes. Not sure what to do here, but it's 45 minutes later and my heart is still racing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy Crap!

I do remember a news exposé on intentional accidents for insurance fraud... I always thought it was scary...

Hope all is well.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Glad you're okay. I'd really like to know how this story ends, when it does end.

Get 'em, Bill!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why weren't you carrying a gun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened in PORTLAND???

Sounds more like California. or New York.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Where U.S. Highways are headed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had someone hit my car in anger before. I had to merge over several lanes from a parking lot exit to a left turn. On the last lane, a Jeep Wagoneer blinked lights (which I assumed meant I see you, go ahead). So I change lanes, and next thing I knew he had sped up, was swerving and honking. I flipped him off and next thing I know he went around to the right and came back into my lane early and clipped my fender.

I've also had someone slam on brakes at 60 in front of me to get me to hit him. He had gotten angry that I was slow to merge (he didn't seem to notice that two cars were in front of me). I had to go around on the shoulder since he was straddling two lanes. Almost wan't able to flip him off on my way by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
I am a hearty proponent of highway vigilantism, but you have to be prepared to "enter the arena," so to speak. Once horns have been honked & fingers have been flipped, you must then be on your guard for retribution from your vehicular opponents, and this could certainly include spiking of brakes. Once you've crossed that line, then IT'S ON!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes!

I just got rear-ended yesterday morning, but not intentionally. I was stopped at a red light, and so was the person behind me - but they started going when the bus in the left tern lane next to us went, and slammed into me surprisingly hard for such a short acceleration distance.

Fortunately in my case, a police officer was in the next lane over, and witnessed the whole thing.

Hopefully they will be able to track your guy down - with the plate and make it should be fairly easy. Alas that the person who did the rear ending is still at fault - folks tend to forget that the are responsible for being able to stop even if the car in front of them halts as if it slammed into a brick wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:
Hopefully they will be able to track your guy down - with the plate and make it should be fairly easy.
I hope so too. It could have been much worse.

Quote:
Alas that the person who did the rear ending is still at fault - folks tend to forget that the are responsible for being able to stop even if the car in front of them halts as if it slammed into a brick wall.
Yes, I've heard this. I was glad to have a car with great stopping power - if I'd been driving something heavier or with less traction then I probably would have rear ended the idiot. Which would have given me the opportunity to deliver some fist-based revenge as fightcitymayor recommends, but still would have been a minus overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew
United Kingdom
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

Quote:
Alas that the person who did the rear ending is still at fault - folks tend to forget that the are responsible for being able to stop even if the car in front of them halts as if it slammed into a brick wall.
Yes, I've heard this. I was glad to have a car with great stopping power - if I'd been driving something heavier or with less traction then I probably would have rear ended the idiot. Which would have given me the opportunity to deliver some fist-based revenge as fightcitymayor recommends, but still would have been a minus overall.

This might only apply to the UK but worth mentionting, a car that rear-ends another car is at fault, but not if it was an intentional accident in which case its the car that initiated it, as well as commiting the offences of dangerous driving and even attempted murder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The lesson, of course, is to just let it go at the initial merge. Turn the other fender. Incidentally, that's what Jesus would do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was rear-ended a year or so ago, and it wasn't the guy behind me's fault.

I was at a jughandle that went straight and left only. I was in the straight lane. The person across from me jack-rabbited out of the light to make an illegal left, forcing me to stomp on my brakes. The guy behind me couldn't react fast enough. The person who caused the accident sped away before I could get the plate number. Had to get the rear bumper completely replaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
what Jesus would do.

I'm assuming he'd go...

//Start Aramaic

"AHHHHHHHH! I'm in the belly of moving metal fire demon! Father, why has thou forsaken me?! AHHHHHH!"

//End Aramaic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
The lesson, of course, is to just let it go at the initial merge. Turn the other fender. Incidentally, that's what Jesus would do.
True, but it is so hard to just let it slide when somebody is an asshole. The first honk really was just because I thought they didn't see me; but when they swerved into me...well, I got very angry. Which is rarely good, and never good when you are driving. But I think that it is human and hard to fight. Nothing like some righteous anger to make it hard to just let somebody drive off without a big angry honk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a bicycle driver, I sympathise. At least you're in a steel box with airbags.

For 40USD, you can have a HD cam smaller than a key fob on your dashboard that does this. Check out the clarity of the license plates right at the end.

Hope you feel better tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:

Sounds more like California. or New York. or Rhode Island or Mass.

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:

What if you're already stopped and the idiot in front reverses into you? Happened to me once and the guy insisted it was my fault. His car wasn't damaged and mine had bumper damage. He wanted to leave the scene saying that no damage to his car equaled no foul. The cop I called said differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
futhee wrote:

Sounds more like California. or New York. or Rhode Island or Mass.

FTFY

Indeed. The drivers from urban areas in New England (especially the highways surrounding Boston) could teach even the most aggressive drivers in New York or California a lesson or two in inspired road rage inducing merging tactics.

I hope they catch the guy. Now that I have kids frequently with me in the car I've really calmed down while driving. But I take the bus to work now mostly because I can let someone else worry about traffic while I read a book, but also because I get irrationally angry at how stupid people are in cars, which in turn makes me stupid in a car, which makes me even angrier at the realization that other people have made me stupider, which in turn makes me angrier at "them"...

What was I saying? Oh, yeah, I hope they catch the guy and that your local police take such road rage seriously. I'm glad no one was seriously hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdiddy13 wrote:
...I get irrationally angry at how stupid people are in cars, which in turn makes me stupid in a car, which makes me even angrier at the realization that other people have made me stupider, which in turn makes me angrier at "them"...

Whoa it's like your in my head man...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was once trying to merge onto a freeway feeder/access road and there was already a guy in the lane. I had plenty of room to merge and started slowing down to let the guy over. I gave him what I thought was a friendly quick honk to let him know I was there and was yielding the right-of-way to him. He got pissed! Started weaving all over the road in front of me into both lanes, honking, and yelling into his rear-view mirror at me.

I guess people aren't used to other drivers trying to be nice to them. If that doesn't say something about the state of our roads I don't know what does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of years ago I was driving on a busy two-lane highway, in the right lane, and the guy before me was really slow. So I looked to see if I could pass, and swerved. Unfortunately, there was a fast-driving car in my blind spot who had to hit brakes. Nothing happened, but yeah, I had been hindering the guy. Nothing I could do about it, I just took over the car I wanted to pass quickly and swerved back to the right lane.

Evidently, the guy who had been behind me was angry. He swerved his car in front of mine and hit the brakes. I did so too, in time. He sped up, and hit the brakes again. No problem, I always keep a safe distance. Then he went left, hit the brakes until he was besides me, and drove his car in my direction, trying to push me off the road. And I just thought: my car is 10 years old and yours is obviously brand new -- you are never going to drive into me. So I just looked straight ahead and kept driving as straight as possible. Seeing that I was not responding to his aggression, he then hit the gas pedal and drove away at least 50% over the maximum speed, while honking.

I really do not understand people like this. Do they think the roads are a warzone or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
if everyone just got off their fat butts (sorry, but i'm being judgmental here) and rode a bicycle to work more often, the roads would have fewer cars, people would learn to appreciate the city they live in more, and we'd be a lot healthier.

unless, of course, the people still driving had road rage and ran the cyclists down. then we'd be less healthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
if everyone just got off their fat butts (sorry, but i'm being judgmental here) and rode a bicycle to work more often, the roads would have fewer cars, people would learn to appreciate the city they live in more, and we'd be a lot healthier.

unless, of course, the people still driving had road rage and ran the cyclists down. then we'd be less healthy.

Yeah... ya see the problem is a lot of people do not live within a reasonable distance to their job. I do not see myself biking 30miles in a suit and tie.

Now if I lived in a major city... well I wouldn't I like trees and quiet. So I will fight it out on the freeway with all the morons who can't drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:

Yeah... ya see the problem is a lot of people do not live within a reasonable distance to their job. I do not see myself biking 30miles in a suit and tie.

Now if I lived in a major city... well I wouldn't I like trees and quiet. So I will fight it out on the freeway with all the morons who can't drive.

meh...30 miles isn't unbikeable. But yes, if you have to work in a suit and tie, that's a problem. My best friend bikes about 20 miles a day to work, but is lucky enough to have full shower facilities there so he can clean up before changing into his suit.

Or, I say bike it anyway and let everyone else deal with the smell!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.