Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer isn't a theme I'm interested in, but this game's mechanics look very interesting. I don't intend to disparage the theme, or anything, but just hypothetically, what other themes do you think could the game's mechanical scheme be applied to?

Off the top of my head, I thought of something along the lines of Nexus Ops. Players would be different space corporations attempting to exploit a new planet. There would be local resistance, and the companies could be themed to reflect different goals.

Another one I thought of were players might be different colonies of ants, all attempting to control a forest floor somewhere.

What other ideas can you guys come up with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that'd work, not easily and not without reworking a lot of the powers that the different players have. Stuff like the magic god getting teleports, the temptation god moving nobles on the map, or the plague god spreading pestilence - the whole corruption mechanic, how else would you theme that?

Theme and mechanics are very tightly interwoven in this game, and that's exactly what makes it so awesome. I don't think it'd work nearly as well if you try to change it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about trading in the Old World. You ship blood, diseases, sex slaves, and warp stones. You could even have rats tag along on your ships and caravans to eat your crew!

Also. Shipping isnt a theme done regularly so it should be an instant winner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesuits, Franciscans, Dominicans, and Benedictines, each trying to Enlighten the various countries of the Old World. Each sect spreads the Good Word in their own way - some by influencing the powerful, some by herding the masses, others focus on study... while others yet simply knock heads with the unconverted.

EDIT: It practically writes itself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should say that I've never played the game, so I'm not entirely sure how a lot the mechanics work exactly. But it doesn't sound THAT difficult to rework what's physically going on to a sci-fi theme (for example).

Besides actually teleporting, just give one player a space fleet or air support to work with. Abstracted movement doesn't seem too necessarily thematic. As for controlling of nobles, make it chieftains or some other unit, and say that faction bribed them, or used mind control; think the Mule from Isaac Asimov's foundation series, maybe :D.

Not sure about corruption, though, I'll have to look at how exactly that mechanic works.

Not saying it's easy to refit the game to something else, I just wanted to see what kind of things people could come up with. It would definitely take a lot more creativity than this exercise would for your average Euro (which this is not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey Moose
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love and Happiness in the Old World.

Each player plays the part of a different Hello Kitty flavour, trying to spread love and sweetness throughout the Old World. Each round, your Stuffists (teeny stuffed teddy bears or cats) spread one point of Happiness in a province, untill it reaches Fabulation, at which point the player with the most Happiness tokens in the province receive Victory Points.

Also, players compete each round for Most Adorable flavour of the month (each turn is one month), thereby gaining the province's domination value, while the resistance value is renamed Grumpiness factor.

And so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'll buy three, Mikey Moose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we are talking about powerful and ruinous powers, I'd go with cyberpunk-ish megacorporations. Both upgrades and manipulation suits them well. I'd prefer Earth megalopolises to space though because there's no one to oppress/enslave/deceive in vacuum, duh.

Edit: KhorneTech might be supplier of military-grade cyber-implants, and it's goal is to collect as "experimental data". Nutrient.org Limited (NuOrgL) could work with chemicals, genetics and bioengineering, Tze Inc. could be software guys, and Slaanesh don't even need to change anything as it's pretty suitable for grim future as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormcow wrote:
Jesuits, Franciscans, Dominicans, and Benedictines, each trying to Enlighten the various countries of the Old World. Each sect spreads the Good Word in their own way - some by influencing the powerful, some by herding the masses, others focus on study... while others yet simply knock heads with the unconverted.

Oh... I thought that is the current theme... weird...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Temple
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never been into Warhammer at all, but this game is awesome. You definitely don't need to care at all about the setting to thoroughly enjoy this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReverseMeeple wrote:
Love and Happiness in the Old World.

Each player plays the part of a different Hello Kitty flavour, trying to spread love and sweetness throughout the Old World. Each round, your Stuffists (teeny stuffed teddy bears or cats) spread one point of Happiness in a province, untill it reaches Fabulation, at which point the player with the most Happiness tokens in the province receive Victory Points.

Also, players compete each round for Most Adorable flavour of the month (each turn is one month), thereby gaining the province's domination value, while the resistance value is renamed Grumpiness factor.

And so on.

Just to elaborate, I can just imagine the "Chaos cards" or in this case, "Cuteness Cards" that go with each stuffed power! LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Politics! You can deploy campaigners to bring out the vote (aiming for first or second place when the election results come in, or just gain momentum at the right time), or just have a highly visible presence in the region, using lawyers to banish opponents. Card slots are media air-time - there's only so much opportunity to get your message out!

Khorne is a master of negative campaigning and litigation; Nurgle is strong at building up grassroots support; Tzeentch is a powerful manipulator of the media; Slaanesh works with celebrities; and the Horned Rat is a gimmicky candidate who runs on chasing the next headline but can't drum up long term support.

* Corruption - votes.
* Ruination - election results come in.
* Domination - headlines.
* Card slots - media messages.
* Nobles - celebrities.
* Heroes - scandals.
* Skaven - media sensitivity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormcow wrote:

EDIT: It practically writes itself!

And the Old World itself... Heathens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchants in a fantasy-lite Middle Ages, duh! BGG would eat it up. Your "cultists" are the medieval equivalent of advertising agents, your warriors are regional managers involved in local hostile takeovers (like buying out local shops in a region), and your mega-unit is the Vice President of Operations (once he/she gets involved, it's serious business!). The "Old World" deck represents shifts and changes in the market.

Hmmm, what about the tokens? Okay, the Peasants (which can be "won") represent loyal customers of your product. The Noble tokens represent wealthy customers in that region. The Hero token represents corrupt trade officeials from the king who will get in your way and mess up your plans.

Your goal is to either gain favor with the kings of the land (dial tick victory) or win by having the most profit/money (VP victory). Completely non-violent, non-demonic, and perhaps with a few hobbits and a One Ring, it'd jump into the Top 50 in no time at all! Imma go retheme this now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also pondering on a re-theme:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/4253/cardgame-in-the-m...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
I’m not a fan of Warhammer. I’m actually an anti-fan, I rather dislike the game both mechanically and financially. But I enjoy CoW.

That said, I too have mused on re-theming it.

(1) DESTROY HUMANITY: Zombies, Aliens, Robots and Giant Monsters ravage the earth. The “old world” is humanity trying to defend itself. Heroes are Superheroes (4 color version). “Nobles” might be humans that were previously abducted by the aliens. “Warp Stones” might be deposits of nuclear waste that are coveted by the giant monsters. Each point represents 100 million people dead.
(2) CHAOS IN THE OLD EMPIRE: This is actually a re-gut idea I have to get some use out of my TI3 game (which doesn’t get played anymore since nobody wants to spend 10 hours on 1 game). You’re striving to destroy the ancient Lazax Empire. In so doing, you bring ruin throughout the galaxy. Planets are despoiled by pillaging armies and ravaged by annihilating bombardments. Populations in the billions flee the savage tides of civil war. The Lazax strain against their rebellious subjects and their own arrogant impotence to shrug off their aggressors and save their ages-old empire. “Old World” = Lazax Empire. “Heroes” = Lazax fleets. “Nobles” and “Warpstones” would be key Lazax Leaders and coveted artifacts, respectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
Random_Phobosis wrote:
Since we are talking about powerful and ruinous powers, I'd go with cyberpunk-ish megacorporations. Both upgrades and manipulation suits them well. I'd prefer Earth megalopolises to space though because there's no one to oppress/enslave/deceive in vacuum, duh.

Edit: KhorneTech might be supplier of military-grade cyber-implants, and it's goal is to collect as "experimental data". Nutrient.org Limited (NuOrgL) could work with chemicals, genetics and bioengineering, Tze Inc. could be software guys, and Slaanesh don't even need to change anything as it's pretty suitable for grim future as is.

I've got to say this is the best idea yet. Sounds like a game I'd buy actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a thought to re-theme Chaos because I wasn't a fan of death, deamons, and overt evil (not to mention sex hints when bringing this to the table of my gaming group) but I got over it.

Before I did I thought to re-theme the game into an original setting I had knocking around my head for a while; the land of dreams. Each power would be one aspect of dreaming and the board would be the illusionary place where our minds go when we dream. Warp stones would be dreamers who have ESP, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would look like nothing. This is quite possibly the most balanced well themed game ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.