Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Shilling
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An example of an attack on p18 shows the Lancer special ability triggered by an Omen. The special ability is Deal 1 Wound. In this example, the wound is treated as an extra 'hit' on the attack die and as such can be countered by a sheild on the defence die.

However,

Other cards (such as the Mortar and the Lambent Wrench Wretch) include special abilities that include the wording Deal 1 Wound (some of them even affect figures not involved in the origianl combat).

Where this is the case, do the affected figures who are going to be dealt the wound get to roll defence die to try and counter the wound or is the wound automatic and unavoidable?

How many defence die do they get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I treat it as a blockable attack and roll defense dice based on the cover rules.

For instance, in the case of boomers, let's say Marcus and Dom are in the same area along with a wretch, Marcus in full cover, Dom and the wretch not in cover. A boomer takes a shot at Marcus, rolls 3 hits and an omen. Roll 3 die for Marcus, roll a die for Dom, roll a die for the wretch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shilling
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, I was thinking the same but.....

Then I came across a rule paragraph on p19 that says something like....

'Deal 1 Wound', each COG must discard 1 card...

I cant remember the exact wording

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
superdupergeek wrote:
Lambent Wrench

That seems like a really ineffectual way to tighten nuts and bolts.

As far as the original question goes, I've assumed that Omens from explosive weapons are treated as unblockable wounds, but I'm not sure why. Do remember that most explosives ignore cover, so most figures would only have one defense die for splash damage, if it gets any.

I guess the reason I had assumed it was an automatic, unblockable wound is that otherwise it would only rarely have any effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From Pg 19

Some abilities use the phrase “deal 1 wound to each figure in the area.” In this circumstance, each COG in the area is dealt 1 wound (must discard 1 Order card), and each Locust in the area is dealt a single wound.

"deal 1 wound" is exactly what is on weapon cards like the lancer as well when you roll an omen. However, it doesn't say "to each figure in the area" obviously.

I think there is some ambiguity in the "deal 1 wound" phrase that I hope they clarify or fix. If the weapon card says "deal 1 wound" and that is all, we add 1 wound to the roll as per the example on pg 18. If the weapon is like the above quote from pg 19, then we simply do exactly what the card/rules say and each figure gets an automatic wound with no defense/counter.

I think the lancer/snub should say something like "add 1 wound to attack roll" or something along those lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lancer special ability is "High Fire Rate". When firing with the Lancer, you also count Omens as "regular-can-be-blocked-by-red-dice-shield" hits. It's just an extra hit symbol for this weapon, giving it a better hit ratio (high fire rate) than other weapons.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, is the support for this game anything like Defenders of the Realm; do guys come on here and set us strait?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
So, is the support for this game anything like Defenders of the Realm; do guys come on here and set us strait?

No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
The Lancer special ability is "High Fire Rate". When firing with the Lancer, you also count Omens as "regular-can-be-blocked-by-red-dice-shield" hits. It's just an extra hit symbol for this weapon, giving it a better hit ratio (high fire rate) than other weapons.
TK

I completely understand and I have been playing this way with the lancer/snub. I just think the wording on the cards could have been better. Because as far as pg 19 goes, there is not a lot of difference between "deal 1 wound" and “deal 1 wound to each figure in the area”.

Fortunately, the example on pg 18 cleared up my confusion before my first game, and I believe we are playing correctly. Lancer/Snub/Gorgon omens can be blocked by shields, but boomshot can not. Its clear even in this thread others aren't not playing that way, because I believe they left it ambiguous in the rules. Essentially what we've been doing unless the card has the "each other" or "each COG" type clause in it, then its a direct attack that can be defended with shields like the example on pg 18. Fortunately, the Tickers which normal intepration would imply they can be shielded, they specifically say they can not be defended. All the more reason, why I think FFG intended things like Lancer/Snub/etc to be defended with shields, but the indirect fire like boomers/boomshots ticker are not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I got this wrong fellas, on Pg 17:

GoW Manual wrote:

Triggered abilities are special bonuses that may only be
used when an omen die result is rolled ( ). For example,
when attacking with a Boomshot, all other figures in the
target’s area are dealt 1 wound for each omen rolled.
Triggered abilities may be used once for each omen rolled
unless stated otherwise (see “Example of an Attack” on
page 18).
If a triggered ability deals wounds to the target, this
is added to any wounds rolled on the dice (and can be
canceled by shields rolled on defense dice).

Is anybody working on a FAQ? This game could really use a FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Cannon
Wales
Pontypridd
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do people think about the beserker A.I. card that says when she moves into an area she deals 1 wound to every figure present?

Do people think you get a save against it? If so can a dodge card be used as it's not an attack roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Where does it EVER say that you save Vs. splash damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, I don't see why they did'nt just say "apply", "give" or "receives" a wound. So many possilbe ways they could have easily worded it so it's understandable and not almost a duplicate of "deal".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.