Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried their hand at penning their own scoreboard text for the Energy path?

(There is an error verified by the publisher - the scoretrack lists an entire "Ecology" plotline which doesn't exist in the base game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
LemonyFresh wrote:
Has anyone tried their hand at penning their own scoreboard text for the Energy path?

(There is an error verified by the publisher - the scoretrack lists an entire "Ecology" plotline which doesn't exist in the base game)

I haven't done this yet, as I'm way too busy with all my other game projects, but I was thinking that someone somewhere would have done something by now.

I've only played it once, and it is clear that the Energy mission is about an Energy crisis facing the planet. Hopefully someone will come up some flavour wording for this Energy mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, four years later and no official errata, no-one yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little late to the party, but as I understand the error "verified by the publisher" is only in the title of the green track (Energy vs ecology), not in the story. The story to me makes perfect sense -- an ecological crisis occurs because of energy problems. The only fault, perhaps, is that this link between energy and ecology could have been made more explicit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:
The story to me makes perfect sense -- an ecological crisis occurs because of energy problems.

No, it doesn't make sense. There is no in-game indication that the problems with dilithium crystals might cause any harm to the ecology of the planet. The consequences described on the score board are completely unrelated to the story told by the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
The consequences described on the score board are completely unrelated to the story told by the cards.

That is exactly what I meant when I said "The only fault, perhaps, is that this link between energy and ecology could have been made more explicit."

I have no trouble linking energy and ecology in my mind, especially given the strong link between the two on our Earth. I thought that was the whole point of that story, i.e. a homage to the star trek philosophy of commenting on contemporary issues -- energy problems, if not solved well, can lead to ecological disasters!

The question is whether the publisher intended this implicit link between energy and ecology, or actually conflated two different stories. To me, it is almost obvious that it should be the former, but that of course could be wrong. The OP states that this error has been "verified by the publisher" -- could somebody point me to a statement by them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:
That is exactly what I meant when I said "The only fault, perhaps, is that this link between energy and ecology could have been made more explicit."

The problem is that there is absolutely no link in the game, even implicit.

Quote:
The OP states that this error has been "verified by the publisher" -- could somebody point me to a statement by them?

I'm not digging that for you, but Bryan Kinsella acknowledged the problem in another thread and said a correction was coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had the following exchange with Bryan which may be relevant to this topic.

aguynamedbry wrote:
Label on the score track is incorrect

rbelikov wrote:
Wow, thanks for the speedy response! However, I am not sure I understand what you mean... Basically my question is whether just the "ecology label" in the green score track column is wrong, or if the whole green story on the score track is wrong.
aguynamedbry wrote:
Howdy, glad you are enjoying the game. It was a while ago since I looked at it, but I believe there was a typo, when in doubt assume there are just the 3, and convert the odd item to the other.

rbelikov wrote:
Hi Bryan,

Which of the following is closer to the truth regarding the green plotline, which is called "Ecology" on the scoring track, and "Energy" on the Captain's log cards:

(a) Only one green story has been developed, having to do with energy and ecology. There is a slight typo: the title of the green scoring track should have been called "Energy" instead of "Ecology", but the storyline text is correct. Although there is less tight of a connection between the story on the green scoring track and the green captain's log cards than for other colors, it is meant to be the same story about how energy problems, if not treated well, lead to ecological consequences. We know the link is not very explicit, but was definitely implied.

(b) There were two independent stories that were developed, one having to do with Energy and one having to do with ecology. Eventually we chose to go with the Energy story, but due to a typographical error, we printed the wrong story on the green scoring track.

(c) Something else?

thank you!

PS My group is loving the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems the easy way out, since no correction has been or will be made. I'm tempted to transcribe the whole text from the cards and the score board so that you can see they are completely unrelated, but I suspect you have already made your mind. Believe what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.