Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Heindselman
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm leading a board game group at my church tonight and was going to teach Alhambra. The group is attended by adults whose game experience is mostly classic American games and card games. I am thinking about varying the game to remove some of the complexity and shorten it to make sure we can play in 45 minutes with rules explanation. What variations would you recommend for a "learning game"? I was thinking about ending the game after the first two scoring rounds. I couldn't think of anything else.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give more money at the beginning of the game.

Give 3 tiles to each player randomly before the game start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, Alhambra is a pretty simple game. I'd recommend playing it as-is. If you make up a variant, you're likely to lose some balance.

Having said that, if you're determined to alter something, just remove the reserve board. That's probably the most complicated part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought he wanted to save time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
For saving time you could always play normally but stop the game at the 2nd counting of points...

And then, if they like it, explain that normally you keep playing until the tile pile is exhausted for a 3rd counting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Heindselman
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I did not get a chance to teach this, but I were to in the future, I would teach it as is based on your replies and just let us play until we ran out of time. If that meant we didn't get to 2nd scoring, I would have just scored 2nd scoring when we stopped. Same with 3rd scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Mueller
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just taught it to a group of 8-10 year-olds. They were able to do pretty well on their first go of it. We could not fit it into 45 minutes for sure, perhaps later.

I was very generous with letting them move tiles in their city,( I only had the German rules with me, and couldn't remember EXACTLY how the reserve board worked). I would think this may make the game a bit easier, but surely not correct. It still worked out fine, and I can teach them the correct rules next time.

Does anyone have a link to the english rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KMueller wrote:
Does anyone have a link to the english rules?

I saw an English video at the Queen games web site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.