Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule says:

Quote:
If one of the energy marker colors runs out (a player wants to or has to take a marker of a color that is no longer there) the player gets a free action turn which he has to take immediately following the collect energy turn.

I haven't played Duck Dealer yet and want to be sure I've got it right before I do. This rule raises some questions for me:

1: a player wants to or has to take a marker implies that a player is required to take the markers produced by his ship's configuration. Is this correct, or can a player take fewer energy markers than his ship produces?

In other words, I may not want to take a free action turn because I haven't saved up the energy I need. Can I avoid taking an action turn by taking less energy than my ship produces? Or can players actually be forced to take "free" action turns?

2: If I take a free action turn (whether or not I wanted it), do I still have to put one of my cubes on the turn track?

If so, how is that a "free" action turn? It seems to me that I'm paying for it just like any other turn! In fact, if you have to put a cube you didn't want to spend on the turn track for a "free" action you didn't want in the first place, it seems like you're being doubly punished...was this the intent of the rule, or am I reading it incorrectly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were not required to take discs, the rule you quote would be completely benign. I'm pretty sure you're obligated to take discs if you collect energy.

It's a free turn because it's the only opportunity you have to take discs and a turn in the same action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DSHStratRat2 wrote:
1: a player wants to or has to take a marker implies that a player is required to take the markers produced by his ship's configuration. Is this correct, or can a player take fewer energy markers than his ship produces?
You have to take all energy markers that your ship produces.

DSHStratRat2 wrote:
2: If I take a free action turn (whether or not I wanted it), do I still have to put one of my cubes on the turn track?
Yes.

It's called a free action turn, since you get to collect energy "for free" before taking the action turn. Maybe a better name would have been "free collect energy turn" ;-).

Jeroen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the prompt replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.