Jason Lee
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes after a long break from BGG I want to see what are the hottest games that people are looking forward to.

You can sort of do this by looking at The Hotness for game titles you don't recognize, or by using Advanced Search -> published range 2011-2012 -> sort by ratings and look for games you don't recognize.

But it would be a lot easier if you could simply use Advanced Search to look for games that are "published 2011" but also tagged with "not yet released."

Barring this you could let us sort Advanced Search results by the game ID number... since more recent (more likely to not yet be released) games will have been added to the database more recently and have a higher ID.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that this has been requested many times before. Basically what is needed is a '''status''' attribute on a game. Is it:
* In Print
* Out Of Print
* Not Released

Since there is no high authority to decide these statuses, BGG has consistently refused to add such an attribute. I'll dig up some of the other threads and update this response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just said that I wonder about UPC codes. Is there a master UPC database somewhere?

In other words with UPC code could database look-up status over internet in some other database?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You could also regularly check new games in the queue to be put in the BGG database. (It's been a long time since I've visited it, so I don't know where it is in the menus or if it's an address that's not linked anywhere ... I'm sure skelebone would provide it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LudesFactor wrote:

You could also regularly check new games in the queue to be put in the BGG database. (It's been a long time since I've visited it, so I don't know where it is in the menus or if it's an address that's not linked anywhere ... I'm sure skelebone would provide it.)

New games in queue which have yet to be accepted. I added it to my Quickbar:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/items/boardgame/pending?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen some sites before that are public UPC databases, but "normal people" don't care, so few things get added to them. And businesses pay for theirs or obtain the info piecemeal with ordering, and add the X new items at a time, and since they paid in time or money, they don't give it away for free. (Would love to be proven wrong.)

Plus, UPCs are less universal than ISBNs. The UPC can basically say "Magazine" or "Clearance - Jun 2004" not always specifically "Settlers of Catan".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mazout wrote:
it would be a lot easier if you could simply use Advanced Search to look for games that are "published 2011" but also tagged with "not yet released."

Previous related threads:

[FEATURE REQUEST] A way to see that a game is unpublished (yet)
Out of print game
An out-of-availability sounder?
Game Status Tagging
Adding an "Availability" Field to a Game Listing

The consenus seems to be it's would be difficult/impossible to maintain release information.

mazout wrote:
Barring this you could let us sort Advanced Search results by the game ID number... since more recent (more likely to not yet be released) games will have been added to the database more recently and have a higher ID.

I'm pretty sure there's a way of doing this, but I can't find it now. You may be able to get it via the XML API.

As a possible alternative, you might want to check out the GeekFeed, particulary the recently added games:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekfeed.php?action=viewrecent&...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lee
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK based on those other threads it seems like adding "released/notreleased" data is too much work.

Hmmm, I'm looking more for games that have NOT been released but HAVE been added to the database and DO have some discussion going on.

The Hotness often features upcoming games but, of course, they only pop up after already earning a lot of buzz and discussion threads e.g. Eclipse. Looking at recently added games doesn't really work either because that list is full of rediscovered games from the past e.g. Three Men In A Tub. The buzz list is a great geeklist but it is often filled with "released but sold out" games, or the same hyped games as The Hotness.

It would be best if I could use Advanced Search with 2 other pieces of data:

*sort by Game ID
*sort by number of discussion threads

Sort by Game ID (together with the existing feature to limit the year range) would be great for finding recently added upcoming games.

Looking at the number of discussion threads would be a clue if that game is still just a mystery or if some info, rules, pictures etc have been released that people are talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just been playing around with tags. I'd bet that the transaction to add a tag is timestamped. So I think a search on:

(1)Game that has been published in last two years
and
(2) has own or owned tags

Display:
(1) Game name
(2) Date first "own" or "owned" tag was added.
(3) count of users who have "own" or "owned" tags on each game. (so each user counts once...)

The point is that no one should be tagging a game as "owned" before it is published, right?

Other points are:
* No tag police so I can tag the games I own as 765gkjy
* No body has to mark game as owned when they get it
* game could have multiple versions or languages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Martin has a lot of news on upcoming games on his blog:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
herace wrote:
The point is that no one should be tagging a game as "owned" before it is published, right?

I've seen people mark prototypes and pre-releases owned, but your idea is pretty good. Assuming no spoilsports, an enhanced (unimplemented) tag search might be a general-purpose alternative (e.g., "unreleased -released").

Regarding UPCs, that field appears to have been depreciated. The data is still available in the custom version field, "Bar Code", but it's hidden if you choose a stock version, and it's not crawled by Google. There's a "Product Code" field for defined versions, but that's not the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.