Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Cox
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere but is anyone able to confirm please how many players this game has been designed for and why?

I ask because MMP list the game as being for 1-4 players on their website whilst BGG say it is for 2-4 players and I am interested to know how well this game might play solo.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, it is designed with the intent of being a two-player game, but could easily be split to support 4 players based on factions: Japanese, KMT, Communists, Commonwealth.

Edit: Assuming this is correct, it would seem more likely "team play" rather than 4 factions with independent victory conditions.

And given the size of the map, It's conceivable the Japanese could be split to accommodate a 5th if you really wanted to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cox
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, thanks.

If team play is considered the most likely way to play this game then I am surprised that it got through as far as their website for MMP to state: "...the game can be played as a 1-4 players' game..." unless they feel that the various factions can be handled by someone playing alone?

From what you say it certainly sounds like a challenge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave L.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Ben's answer doesn't match what I have gleaned from reading through the Consimworld thread. I gather that the full campaign game is designed for three independent players with the Communists, KMT, and Japanese all fighting each other and with their own victory goals. The 4th faction, the Western Allies could be played by a 4th player or by the Communist player, who has a lighter planning load - however, an independent 4th player would have to wait 18 turns before starting the game. I have some balance skepticism about the Communists and WA being grouped together under one leader, although they are not in the same area.

There are also many scenarios for between 2 and 4 players. I didn't get the sense that there were any special provisions for solo play but there may be a solo scenario I don't remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are specific rules for playing with more than 2 players, each taking a faction. I don't recall any kind of official solitaire variant, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.