Popular Tags: [View All]
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently played for the first time and had some questions:

1) When the Guild ships to a stronghold, do you halve the total cost, or per token? I assume it is the total cost since the other way would be the same as normal.

2) At what point does the Atreides player use his ability to see an element of your battle plan? After you select everything, but before revealing? Once asked and shown, are you allowed to change that part of the plan?

3) If the Emperor wins a battle with 3 Sardaukar in the territory by dialing 5, would he lose all 3 tokens?

3a) Against the Fremen, using the same example as above, I assume it is legal to dial 5 even though you cannot actually pay that much in losses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disgustipater wrote:

1) When the Guild ships to a stronghold, do you halve the total cost, or per token? I assume it is the total cost since the other way would be the same as normal.

2) At what point does the Atreides player use his ability to see an element of your battle plan? After you select everything, but before revealing? Once asked and shown, are you allowed to change that part of the plan?

3) If the Emperor wins a battle with 3 Sardaukar in the territory by dialing 5, would he lose all 3 tokens?

3a) Against the Fremen, using the same example as above, I assume it is legal to dial 5 even though you cannot actually pay that much in losses?

I'm feeling Socratic.

1) Why would a rule exist if it has no effect?

2) See #1.

3) What else would he lose?

3a) Can you ever dial more troops than you have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drinkdrawers wrote:

You mean like the Emperor's alliance ability in the face of the bribery rules?

Drinkdrawers wrote:
3a) Can you ever dial more troops than you have?

No. In my example, you are not dialing more troops than you have.

Edit - Misread that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McBride
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disgustipater wrote:

#1 - Guild can ship two tokens for every spice paid when landing into a Stronghold.

#2 - When the Atreides announce what element of the battle plan that they wish to see, the opponent may determine at that time what that particular element is going to be. Once shown to the Atreides only that element is locked in.

#3 - If the emperor only has 3 starred tokens in the territory and he dialed 5, then yes all 3 tokens would be lost...in that case you might as well as dial 6...nothing wrong with a little overkill! arrrh

#3a - No it is not legal. Remember that vs. the Fremen the emperor starred tokens do not count as double! In the scenario you described above with 3 emperor starred tokens vs. Fremen tokens: the max the emperor could dial is 3.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobMcWiz wrote:
#3a - No it is not legal. Remember that vs. the Fremen the emperor starred tokens do not count as double!

Hmm, I must have misread the rules. I thought the starred tokens were treated as 1 against the Fremen only when counting losses, not in battle as well.

Thanks for the other answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disgustipater wrote:
Drinkdrawers wrote:

Touche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
CardboardEast.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Drinkdrawers wrote:
Disgustipater wrote:
Drinkdrawers wrote:

Touche.

I thought the rules worked as follows...

(1) Any player can give any other player money; however, the money is put in front of the shield and can only be retrieved during the collection phase.

(2) The emperor can give other players money during the treachery card auction phase, but only to help them pay for the treachery card. This doesn't change the bidding cost of the treachery card, but doesn't make it cheaper for the buyer as the Emperor is picking up part of the tab sort to speak.

(3) The emperor's alliance ability means the emperor can give his ally money at any time during the game and that money goes directly behind his ally's shield. The ally doesn't have to wait for the collection phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Spode
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilpanda wrote:
Drinkdrawers wrote:
Disgustipater wrote:
Drinkdrawers wrote:

Touche.

I thought the rules worked as follows...

(1) Any player can give any other player money; however, the money is put in front of the shield and can only be retrieved during the collection phase.

(2) The emperor can give other players money during the treachery card auction phase, but only to help them pay for the treachery card. This doesn't change the bidding cost of the treachery card, but doesn't make it cheaper for the buyer as the Emperor is picking up part of the tab sort to speak.

(3) The emperor's alliance ability means the emperor can give his ally money at any time during the game and that money goes directly behind his ally's shield. The ally doesn't have to wait for the collection phase.

I believe a lot of what you posted above is part of the WBC rules clarifications not from the AH rule book. I always play any one can give spice to anyone at anytime (to their own peril).

The ridiculous amount of spice the Emperor has is advantage enough and very valuable to any potential ally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Subhuman wrote:

I believe a lot of what you posted above is part of the WBC rules clarifications not from the AH rule book.

That is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.