24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Canada » Ontario

Subject: Learn A Game of Thrones Card Game (AGoT) - Oct 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Andrews
Canada
flag msg tools
I would like to invite anyone that maybe interested in learning A Game of Thrones Card Game (AGoT) to come to the Wizard’s Tower at 3350 Fallowfield Road in Barhaven (right across from the Fallowfield bus terminal) on Oct 2nd  at 6:00 PM for an introduction to the game. For those that have played the game before their will be several players with experience present looking for games too.

Everything new players need to play will be lent to players including balanced decks. The introduction session will consist of a quick 15 minute video – teaching the basics of the game – followed by several tables of “melee” – the primary multiplayer version of the game being played.

Each table will be monitored by at least one experienced player who will help guide the new players at the table. If there is time the 1-vs-1 version of the game, known as a “joust”, will also be played with an experience player providing assistance. 

Though there should be enough decks and seating for everyone, you can guaranty your seat at one of the melee tables by sending a e-mail to AGoTOttawa@gmail.com indicating that you would like to participate in the A Game of Thrones learning event.

About A Game of Thrones Card Game

A Game of Thrones (or AGoT, for short) is a Living Card Game (LCG) produced by Fantasy Flight Games (FFG), based on the A Song of Ice and Fire series of novels written by George R. R. Martin designed for 2 to 4 players.

In the game, players assume the leadership of one of the great houses of Westeros vying for control of King's Landing and the Iron Throne. The goal of this game is to be the first player to collect a total of 15 power. Players can do this in many ways: launch military attacks against their opponents, undermine their opponents’ plans with intrigues of their own, and make brazen power plays to win the support of the realm. Players have at their disposal mighty armies, scheming courtiers, game-changing events, and many of the unique characters and locations that make up Martin’s fantasy setting. Sudden reversals of fortune are as common in the game as they are in the series.

What is a Living Card Game (LCG)?

An LCG basically describes the distribution model Fantasy Flight Games uses for certain card games. The selling point of an LCG is that there is no blind buy model (think booster packs in MTG). Fantasy Flight releases monthly packs of predetermined cards. This removes “chase rares” (e.g. super expensive cards that are needed to be competitive) that plague other CCGs like Magic. With this model, a player knows exactly what they will get with each pack, and as such can purchase only packs with cards they are interested in using. In general the cost to start playing and stay current is a fraction of the cost of a collectable card game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Learn A Game of Thrones Card Game (AGoT) - Oct 1
Intriguing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Andrews
Canada
flag msg tools
PLEASE NOTE: date changed to Oct 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerAtom wrote:
Intriguing.

Let me know if you are going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
likewise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will do. I have a Lannister deck I'd like to try out.

Sunday's do not bode well for me though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thankfully the date change makes this more feasible for me, so I'll probably be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerAtom wrote:
Will do. I have a Lannister deck I'd like to try out.

Sunday's do not bode well for me though.

That's too bad. Sunday doesn't work as well for me either but we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Andrews
Canada
flag msg tools
If more experienced players want to come and have a competitive level game let me know and i will bring my tournament decks. Otherwise i will just bring my fun ones.

Also if their is interesting in starting / having a more regular AGoT night I think the store would be happy to host us.

Hope to meet some of you on Sunday Oct 2.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Andrews
Canada
flag msg tools
Well it looks like we will be getting a good turn out. Several people have confirmed that they will be coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am far from experienced
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Andrews
Canada
flag msg tools
This Sunday everyone and it should be fun.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor The Aussie
Canada
flag msg tools
I think I will make it out for this too. Should be fun....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Paradis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mooch68 wrote:

Lemontang and I *may* accompany Trev if our semi-confirmed plans fall through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Leduc
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mooch68 wrote:

Well if Trevor is going...well then, maybe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Paradis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so our original plans fell through, and we are 99% good to go!

Odd question, but an impostant one. Being new to A Song of Fire and Ice mythos (I've seen seasone one and am currently reading AGoT) I'm wondering if the game will ruin things for me. I mean is it spoilerish, or spoiler-free?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes. I've only read the first book as well and I have no idea what to expect after having played this game a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Andrews
Canada
flag msg tools
Their are a few quotes on the cards but with out any context they should not ruin anything for you.

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor The Aussie
Canada
flag msg tools
chuckyparadise wrote:

(I've seen seasone one and am currently reading AGoT)

Hey, you're reading it.... fantastic, thought you were going to skip the books for the tv show...

Where you up to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Paradis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mooch68 wrote:
chuckyparadise wrote:

(I've seen seasone one and am currently reading AGoT)

Hey, you're reading it.... fantastic, thought you were going to skip the books for the tv show...

Where you up to?

I've decided to read the books after the season is aired. That way, I can still be pleasantly surprised when I watch it. There are some notable differences from show to book. I'm about 1/4 of the way through AGoT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Paradis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much thanks to Jon for putting this together and being so patient with the teaching! Also, huge thanks to the folks at WT for hosting this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, thanks Jon. Had a lot of fun and look forward to playing again soon I hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Andrews
Canada
flag msg tools
Happy to hear you had a good time. I will most likely be doing a few more demo's over the next couple of months so i will post them here for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sad I couldn't make it. I had company. I told you Sunday's didn't bode well for me.

maybe next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.