Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Arms does not typically release the rules for its games in advance. I haven't seen Rich Kane (the designer) on-line in a while, so he might be busy with other things at the moment - maybe even flooding or hurricane recovery (don't know for sure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use the "secure order form" on the site, you will not be charged until the game is practically ready to ship (for people in the U. S., that's about two weeks at most, usually a little less). I've been a customer of Clash of Arms for 18 years now, and never had a problem with their charge-to-ship time. One time I jumped on a preorder when they had inadvertently put an "order" button on the game page, so that's one exception (it was for Prague).

Sometimes Ed will leave the preorder price in place for a time after the initial preordershave shipped, so you might get feedback from gameers before that window closes. Also, remember that the rules are frequently the last item printed for a game so that they can get last minute updates (known printing errata, rules changes, etc.). One exception to this might be series rules, but of course this game is not part of a series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm .... well, there were rumblings this summer like it might make it out by the end of the year, but nothing new lately. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And there have passed several months since... I admit I have come off the fence to take a real close look when I read that the movie The Duellists (an all-time favorite of mine) has served as inspiartion for this game, but haven't pre-ordered yet.

No rules to peruse, no AAR's, no treatment for solitaire play discussed... Isn't there a single playtester out there who will write us a little story about his protagonist's life and times? Obvious question I think, as this is a RPG!

I am used to waiting, waiting, waiting for a game in pre-order to be released (and it seems I'm lucky to discover this game so late in it's development stage) but it has been quite a while since any anouncement about release was made.

Anyway, I have subscribed to this forum. Plenty time left to hop onboard I think .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar Gallego
Spain
Sarriguren
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a truly RPG game, it's more like a historical game where you play as a grognard, with some RPG traits, and write your personal story (history doesn't change).

Some years ago I had the luck of playing some games, some solitaire and some with 2-3 friends. Is the game now different from the one I played then? Maybe, I have the impression that i'ts nearly the same, looking at the cards and art posted, but it was a good game then and hope it still be a good game now.

Its solitaire suitability I would say it's 9/10. The game is better with friends, and you can advance better with friends than alone, but you could use 2 grognards (although there would be no competition).

I wrote on another post about some reports. Here they are again:

One of my plays was a funny story, with a lot of narrative: at start of the revolution wars my grognard had some incidents with his commander, in the Army of the Meuse, being kept in reserve in the battle and unable to gain glory and a promotion. He was destined to another Army (don't remember which one)...

Later he voted for guillotining the king, and was in Toulon where Bonaparte promoted him to Sous-Lieutenant. Destined to the army of the Reserve, in La Vendee, he parliamented with the enemy and found guilty of treason (I think one of those envious commissaries): guillotined. A nice touch of chained events. laugh

I remember another one where me and a friend shared the same Army through half game (we tried all times to be transferred to the same Armee/Corps).

In battles we were always at first line, doing heroic acts to win glory and avance faster in the ranks (arrived to Capitaine). When in garrison I studied fencing and lost money by gambling, and had an affair with a burgess (there was a pistol duel, and I was lucky enough to not be killed), duels are dangerous.

It went well until in one of them, in Italy (Castiglione, or Arcola?), he was captured and I was wounded. I couldn't go to rescue him, but he was liberated when the Campaign finished. Don't remember more because we had to leave it before the Crowning of Napoleon. In that game we didn't use the Fair sex rules, so our friendship was good and there were no women to end it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Edgar. I had read your reports and it gives an idea of the game. But I had hoped for a more elaborate AAR. I think the designer has written some postings about what the game will do, and how it is divided into phases and rounds, but how does the game flow?

On the cards there is line, field and general, and then some abbreviations... How do you actually use the card? Do you choose between line, field or general. Do you have a choice to be brave or hold back with a chance on disgrace (again a number that doesn't tell me anything)?

Hope that there will be more infor on the flow of the game soon. And some news about release!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
I would also appreciate additional AARs. I'm interested in this game and would appreciate any insights into how well it plays solo, because I play all my games this way. If a game does not play very well solitaire, I'm sorry to say that I can't justify buying it, no matter how good it is otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.