Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fangotango
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing my first pbem game ever with Vassal, and my first game against someone other than the 'dumb as a post' Avalon Hill AI or myself in over two decades, so I'm finding myself full of questions about the rules as we play. This is my third posted question in two days.

This time it's about fleet intercepts. If two fleets from the same port change bases during the movement phase, but each goes to a different base, can the two fleets be intercepted together if they share the same path for some of the trip, or in their own port hex for that matter, or must they be intercepted separately? If so, does that mean that if the intercepting ships are based together, that they can only choose one of the moving fleets to intercept, because fleets in the same port cannot go on separate missions?

I'm thoroughly enjoying the game. Waiting for hours or more to find out what mistakes you made is nerve wracking!

edit: I should probably ask these questions before I make my moves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand the rules, if you commence two seperate base changes from the same port, your two fleets can only be intercepted in their base hex, if they are to be intercepted together; if not intercepted in their base hex, (and assuming their course only has their base hex in common) they must be intercepted separately, which would require fleets from more than one base. (Each opponent's base could then attempt only one intercept).

PS As a Vassal player, well used to waiting for hours, days, even weeks for an opponent's response ... "nerve wracking" is an understatement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fangotango
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed an answer in the DQB for 29.51, which states that if two missions cross paths in only one hex, they cannot be intercepted together, but if their paths share more than one hex in common, then they can be intercepted together in one of those common hexes. Didn't see that the first two times through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
fangotango wrote:
I just noticed an answer in the DQB for 29.51, which states that if two missions cross paths in only one hex, they cannot be intercepted together, but if their paths share more than one hex in common, then they can be intercepted together in one of those common hexes. Didn't see that the first two times through.

Yes, in the case you described the two actions are separate and the fleets could not be intercepted together unless they shared another hex in common.

Edit: As shown below, I am once again -- wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fangotango
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon further reading of the rules, I discovered that if two fleets leave the same port for different destinations, they can be intercepted together in the base hex, and in fact, if the interceptor wishes to do so in the base hex, he/she must intercept all moving fleets together. This is the first DQB and Answer to 29.51.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
fangotango wrote:
Upon further reading of the rules, I discovered that if two fleets leave the same port for different destinations, they can be intercepted together in the base hex, and in fact, if the interceptor wishes to do so in the base hex, he/she must intercept all moving fleets together. This is the first DQB and Answer to 29.51.

Well kudos for reading all the rules. I can't tell you how often I read one rule and forget to read the rest.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fangotango
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If two fleets from different bases move to the same base, can they be intercepted together in the final hex, if they have no other common hexes on their path?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SewerStarFish wrote:
I can't tell you how often I read one rule and forget to read the rest.

The 3R rulebook is like the Bible; it needs a concordance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fangotango wrote:
If two fleets from different bases move to the same base, can they be intercepted together in the final hex, if they have no other common hexes on their path?

Per the first DQB in Rule 29.51:
...two missions directed at the same hex must be treated as one if intercepted in that hex.

It seems that multiple missions can be intercepted if they share the same port of departure or port of arrival. The "multiple shared hexes" requirement only seems to apply if multiple missions cross at some point in their route and they don't share the same base or destination hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tallracer333 wrote:
SewerStarFish wrote:
I can't tell you how often I read one rule and forget to read the rest.

The 3R rulebook is like the Bible; it needs a concordance.

An HTML version would be nice; but I'm a bit rusty...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fangotango
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tallracer333 wrote:
fangotango wrote:

Per the first DQB in Rule 29.51:
...two missions directed at the same hex must be treated as one if intercepted in that hex.

It seems that multiple missions can be intercepted if they share the same port of departure or port of arrival. The "multiple shared hexes" requirement only seems to apply if multiple missions cross at some point in their route and they don't share the same base or destination hex.

I had a vague memory that I had seen that, but couldn't find it. Turns out I referenced that exact DQB in a previous post yesterday, regarding the first part of that answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.