Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
A situation came up in the middle of a game where it wasn't clear if a player was allowed to attack a City (or any Target for that matter). Playing by the rules (English version 2.0), it seems it was allowed but I'm not sure if it was really correct.

The situation was that three Artillery Battalions were played (each with +4 Attack), no Army Units were deployed at all. The player wanted to attack Minsk (a 10 Defence value Target City) and he had a few Strategic Position cards deployed to cover any possible Event card.

According to the rules (page 10 Combat [tactics phase]) the following applies.
Quote:
Once, and only once, during your tactics phase, you may announce combat. You may announce combat at the start, at the end or in the middle of your tactics phase, but you may not play any cards during combat. Also, you may not announce combat if you have no deployed cards.

The issue is that the rules state "you may not announce combat if you have no deployed cards". In this situation the player did have some deployed cards, i.e. Target cards! So, according to the rules he was allowed to initiate combat.

I suspect this is an error, I think the rule should state "you may not announce combat if you have no deployed units". It doesn't seem correct that you may initiate combat if you only have Target or Deploy cards but no actual Units deployed.

In the situation above, the player would have won the battle and gained the City card, but then he didn't even have any Units to discard after the battle.

On another note, when you draw the Russian Rifle Corps Event card, do Field Reinforcement Battalions count towards the number of deployed Army Units? There doesn't seem to be any reason to suspect they shouldn't but I was just wondering if this was the intent. They are after all in reserve and don't contribute to the battle so it seems odd they should add to the City Defence value.

Many thanks for any help on these two questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:

I suspect this is an error, I think the rule should state "you may not announce combat if you have no deployed units". It doesn't seem correct that you may initiate combat if you only have Target or Deploy cards but no actual Units deployed.

This is the correct interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.