Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 24 total knowledge tiles, 6 of them are "black". I don't think that these 6 tiles are somehow "special". Looking at the rest of the black tiles, I think Mr Feld just wanted them to feel like an average selection of tiles from different categories. The problem with the knowledge tiles is that each one is unique so we are stuck with the same 6 black ones in every game. I believe this is just a physical side effect and not intentional. It is easy to "fix" this issue however by randomizing all 24 knowledge tiles (by mixing them in a bag for example) at the beginning of the game and putting 6 random ones (without looking) into the bag with the black tiles. For this to work you would ideally need opaque bags like here:

Btw, the reason I say this is for "for experienced players" is not because this variant makes the game more difficult, but simply because for new players it simply will not matter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this is player number dependent. I've only played with 2 players, where only 20 of the 40 play tiles appear, and there's been no sense of "seeing the same ones over and over".

With more players, I can see it. I need to analyze the tile make up, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Glad8r wrote:
I don't think that these 6 tiles are somehow "special".

I think you are mistaken about that. ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
Glad8r wrote:

Can you please elaborate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad8r wrote:
fnord23 wrote:
Glad8r wrote:

I think you are mistaken about that.

The 6 black knowledge tiles are: The 2 that score bonus points for animals. The 2 that score bonus points for sold goods. The one that gives a "free" worker for taking tiles off the board, and the one that gives 4 workers for the take worker action.

For game balance, I would not want any of the tiles that give extra sterling on the black section, since you are requiring sterling to get sterling. I also wouldn't want any of the 4 pts per building tiles there, as it would unbalance the value of the 8 building types.

Your variant idea may work, and for some people be an interesting change. But your assertion that those 6 are no different than the other tiles is false.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:

For game balance, I would not want any of the tiles that give extra sterling on the black section, since you are requiring sterling to get sterling.

There are couple of black mines. They require you to spend silverlings to give you more silverlings. I don't see a difference and I don't see a problem with that.

asmiles wrote:

I also wouldn't want any of the 4 pts per building tiles there, as it would unbalance the value of the 8 building types.

I mostly play BvB 2 player. With 2p some knowledge tiles don't even come up. I don't think this makes anything unbalanced in a game with some inherent randomness.

The way that those 6 tiles are different is that perhaps some of them are a bit stronger than others. If this, or any other difference is not negligible for you, then certainly this variant will not work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Glad8r wrote:
fnord23 wrote:
Glad8r wrote:

As others have pointed out, and more experience with the game would show, they *are* special.

Those knowledge tiles are mostly the best ones in the game, in general.

They are a good chunk of why experienced players fight to be first, have an open slot, and have 2 silverlings going into a new round, so that they have first crack at them. They get bought just to deny them to other players; even if they aren't wonderful for you, they are at least decent for you and better you have them than the person that they *are* wonderful for.

If you are mostly playing 2-player (especially without revealing the "extra" unused tiles each round), you are missing a sizable part of the depth and beauty of the game; as well as probably forming some bad habits that will serve you ill in a full game, where all of the tiles *will* be available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.