Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Van Pelt
United States
Greenwood
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a new palyer arrrh to this game and have a great love of steampunk airship games. I also love to build PnP games.

I have built the Base game and then had enough cubes to only start on the second set and some of the expansion. I built a second set of air pirates and the corsair and then ran out of cubes. On bringing my new cubes to the game table I was toying around with an assortment of Zeppelins by switching cubes aorund or leaving them out altogether to create a variety of Zeps.

Looking over at the two sets of airpirate ships I wondered if these could combat each other. Surely in the skies over Arkady there are pirates attacking other pirates and so the scenario began:
I took up 6 air pirate ship/cubes and tossed them to generate a flight of pirates. I did the same with the second set of six pirates. Moved over to the Aether Captains sky map and diced the pirates into position using a 1D12 and assigning all pirates of one squadron to the left of the zep squares and the other squadron to the right of the zep squares. In doing this from top to bottom I assigned the squares 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12. The airpirates were now facing each other in a random squadron formation on the Aether Captain board with no Zeppelin between them –only empty squares.

To begin the firing action a turn consisted of an initiative roll 1D12 high side shoots first. The high die side shot and recorded damage for all of its 1D12 combat and damage rolls inflicting damage only to airpirates immediately across from them. Then the low die roller did its' rounds of shooting and damage.

Second phase consisted of each side rolling for maneuver. I used a 1D12 chart set up like this.
1-8 move one space toward the interior squares of the zeppelin mapboard
9-10 stay in position
11-12 retreat off the map to fight another day if you are outnumbered. If not outnumbered stay in position.

When I describe the center of the Zeppelin map I mean the middle of the six squares. To further define-you have a column of six squares where the zep usually sits during a game-the forward three and the rear three. The interior of the map would be the line between cube 3 and 4.

Repeat the initiative, fire, maneuver sequences until one side of the airpirates is annihilated.

In my playtest it was interesting to see the initial formation and look at the quality and variety of the two squadrons facing each other. The fight went three or four rounds with most airpirates removed by combat rolls and only two retreating due to being outnumbered. The retreat move made the manuever interesting as new targets lined up and poored toward the center of the fight.

Fun and entertaining. I have spent my whole evening catching up on all the information out on this game. I love it so far.

Great work and thanks for sharing this game with the BGG community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and a wonderful fan addition to the game. thanks for that too

just wait until you start to explore my other games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Van Pelt
United States
Greenwood
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an idea for movement of the airship and will playtest it for effect.

Suppose a Zeppelin wanted to outrun its attackers. In the movement phase the player would roll for engaging engines and with a successful piloting roll would be able to move forward one space. All adjacent pirate airships would at this point be moved one space toward the tailing section of the zep-unless they roll under their attack value on a 1D12. These ships that make that piloting roll would be allowed to keep station on the moving zep and remain in original placement. My thinking is that the higher the attack number the lighter and more nimble the airpirate ship. Airpirate ships that fall off the tail section would be trailing the zep and could manuever back during the appropriate phase.

Best regards, and nice blog art congrats on the gallery show.

Ken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.