1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Why do they drink like that on TV/in the movies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mutton javelin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose some did drink that much in the ad industry. I heard a radio interview from an old ad guy in evaluating the show.

He said there was less drinking but more sex and way more smoking>>>>>arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton javelin1 wrote:
I suppose some did drink that much in the ad industry. I heard a radio interview from an old ad guy in evaluating the show.

He said there was less drinking but more sex and way more smoking>>>>>arrrh

A lot of my clients are ad agencies and most art directors have liquor in their offices. One place has a margarita machine in the breakroom and another has a free beer cart that makes the rounds on Friday!

My job rocks so hard sometimes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to drink good liqour like this. I have found it hard to order at a bar sometimes. "No, not on the rocks" "No, not chilled" "Just pour the drink in the glass dammit!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've drunk a lot, I feel like you should have encountered this. Go to a bar and order a scotch neat, and it's what you should receive. This is assuming that by "cocktail glass" you mean an old fashioned or some similar glass, and not an actual cocktail glass, aka martini glass (I've still never watched the show so I don't know what they use).

Shot glasses are for getting smashed on shitty booze. (edit: not that there's anything wrong with that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZiggyZambo wrote:
If you've drunk a lot, I feel like you should have encountered this. Go to a bar and order a scotch neat, and it's what you should receive. This is assuming that by "cocktail glass" you mean an old fashioned or some similar glass, and not an actual cocktail glass, aka martini glass (I've still never watched the show so I don't know what they use).

Shot glasses are for getting smashed on shitty booze. (edit: not that there's anything wrong with that)

this. order a good drink neat and it comes in glass like that. as far as mad men its prolly a generational thing that shows you are a man having a real drink, not getting drunk. a socially acceptable way to imbibe hard stuff in an office setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
A finger of scotch in a tumbler seems pretty standard to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heron Abroad
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncle_Eddie wrote:

When someone on TV opens a Christmas or birthday present, they never rip open the wrapping paper. It's always a box, wrapped in festive pastel paper, that they just take the top off of.

These are the difficult questions . . .

It's because they can probably count on doing multiple takes to get it right, and the props people aren't about to try to guess how many takes they'll do, and make that number of duplicate props.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Also acceptable:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I worked in the music industry in the 90s people talked about how everyone used to do lines of blow off of their desk. Those days were thankfully over when I got there, but everyone still got pretty liquored up at regular functions and events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb

Nora Charles: How many drinks have you had?
Nick Charles: This will make six Martinis.
Nora Charles: [to the waiter] All right. Will you bring me five more Martinis, Leo? Line them right up here.
____

Reporter: Say listen, is he working on a case?
Nora Charles: Yes, he is.
Reporter: What case?
Nora Charles: A case of scotch. Pitch in and help him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncle_Eddie wrote:

And then . . .

When someone on TV opens a Christmas or birthday present, they never rip open the wrapping paper. It's always a box, wrapped in festive pastel paper, that they just take the top off of.

Can't explain the drinking, as I don't drink and never question it. However the present thing has bugged me way back in the early 80's. I had just assumed that "that was how american's rap their gifts"

However I later learned that this was purely a "TV" thing, and then assumed it was to make the "gift opening" portion of the scene easy and not have actor's tied up with random wrapping paper and just get to the "oh, a blender, thanks Mallory!" lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
When I worked in the music industry in the 90s people talked about how everyone used to do lines of blow off of their desk. Those days were thankfully over when I got there, but everyone still got pretty liquored up at regular functions and events.

That was pretty much SNL in the 70's, everyone was doing lines all the time. From what I understand, it was one reason Jane Curtin left the show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, ol' Nick and Nora are always drinking cocktails, rather than the straight pour. Just lots and lots of 'em.

Nick Charles: The important thing is the rhythm. Always have rhythm in your shaking. Now a Manhattan you shake to fox-trot time, a Bronx to two-step time, a dry martini you always shake to waltz time.

Reporter: Well, can't you tell us anything about the case?
Nick Charles: Yes, it's putting me way behind in my drinking.

Nora Charles: Are you packing?
Nick Charles: Yes dear, I'm putting away this liquor.

Nora Charles: I got rid of all those reporters.
Nick Charles: What did you tell them?
Nora Charles: We're out of scotch.
Nick Charles: What a gruesome idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hendricks
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
Uncle_Eddie wrote:

And then . . .

Can't explain the drinking, as I don't drink and never question it. However the present thing has bugged me way back in the early 80's. I had just assumed that "that was how american's rap their gifts"

However I later learned that this was purely a "TV" thing, and then assumed it was to make the "gift opening" portion of the scene easy and not have actor's tied up with random wrapping paper and just get to the "oh, a blender, thanks Mallory!" lines.

It probably helps with the retakes, too. Just put the gift back in the box and close it up again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncle_Eddie wrote:
On Mad Men the characters drink all the time, and they drink like everyone does on TV. Someone will pour about an inch of hard liquor into a cocktail glass and they drink it straight. (They do have a few mixed drinks on the show, but that seems to be the exception)

I've drunk A LOT, and I've never had anyone pour me a drink like this. A shot, sure, but I've never seen anyone drink this way. WTF? Please explain.

This is how booze fans drink booze.

Uncle_Eddie wrote:
And then . . .

"Take 27! Re-wrap that present again."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
In most tv series when someone orders a drink, you see them leave again before they get the drink. Or, if they have a drink, they take a small sip at most, then leave. And if they have a plate of food, they may lift some food to their mouth, but drop the fork again to say something before they actually take a bite. This, of course, has to do with retakes. If they would eat or drink, even if it is only water, they would get full pretty fast. Just watch for this kind of behavior, it is everywhere. It makes it all the more exciting when you see an actor or actress actually eating or drinking something on the screen (though they probably spit it out again between retakes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
mb
I don't know, but it seems an ice machine would be out of place in an early '60s office.

I got bottles of booze and I got glasses... and that's it. Can I get you a drink?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
Uncle_Eddie wrote:
On Mad Men the characters drink all the time, and they drink like everyone does on TV. Someone will pour about an inch of hard liquor into a cocktail glass and they drink it straight. (They do have a few mixed drinks on the show, but that seems to be the exception)

I've drunk A LOT, and I've never had anyone pour me a drink like this. A shot, sure, but I've never seen anyone drink this way. WTF? Please explain.

This is the only way to drink whisky. In a glass straight, no ice, no water (ok, maybe a few tiny drops...). The same goes for others as well...cognac, sambuca, good dark rum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
A rather urgh you will not like this thing is that it makes the product easyer to place and so wise product placement.

Of course some shows are crazy that way (How I meet your mother... that much time in a bar... everyday it seems... that can't be healthy) Umm but no no I do not want to move your thread to RSP so maybe I should just be quiet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HeronAbroad wrote:
It's because they can probably count on doing multiple takes to get it right, and the props people aren't about to try to guess how many takes they'll do, and make that number of duplicate props.

OK, I'm going to blow a major Hollywood secret here. Please don't tell anybody, but I promise you this is the absolute truth.

It's not actual booze.

It's fake.

They use a coloured water solution that looks like booze but contains no alcohol. That way, they can throw it around like nobody's business. Boy, if it was real booze, they'd all be fluffing their takes and getting smashed on company time! Then they'd have to come back the next day and do it again, which sets the production schedule way back. And that costs money.

More Hollywood secrets later (they don't use real bullets).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
In most tv series when someone orders a drink, you see them leave again before they get the drink. Or, if they have a drink, they take a small sip at most, then leave. And if they have a plate of food, they may lift some food to their mouth, but drop the fork again to say something before they actually take a bite. This, of course, has to do with retakes. If they would eat or drink, even if it is only water, they would get full pretty fast. Just watch for this kind of behavior, it is everywhere. It makes it all the more exciting when you see an actor or actress actually eating or drinking something on the screen (though they probably spit it out again between retakes).

Except on the BBC's Pride and Prejudice, where Benjamin Whitrow (Mr. Bennet) decided that he was going to actually appear to be eating during an extended dinner scene. So he requested his favorite: gooseberry fool. As you may suppose, he's never eaten gooseberry fool since.

EYE of NiGHT wrote:
They use a coloured water solution that looks like booze but contains no alcohol. That way, they can throw it around like nobody's business. Boy, if it was real booze, they'd all be fluffing their takes and getting smashed on company time! Then they'd have to come back the next day and do it again, which sets the production schedule way back. And that costs money.

Except in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, during the pub scene, Mos Def (Ford Prefect) was drinking real lager. And if you've seen it, he's downing the glass in one go. I guess there's no way to get a good head on something that's not really beer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is on any TV show or movie with a character in a bar.

"I'll have a beer."

Because there's only one kind.

I realize they don't want to pay for advertising, but it cracks me up every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
agnespoodle wrote:
My favorite is on any TV show or movie with a character in a bar.

"I'll have a beer."

Because there's only one kind.

I realize they don't want to pay for advertising, but it cracks me up every time.

A variant of that is where the character saunters up to the bar and holds up a number of fingers, and the bartender knows exactly what he wants without having to say a word.

In real life, whenever I am in a bar or restaurant and overhear people order alcoholic beverages, the process more closely resembles a session of negotiations in the U.N. security council.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:

That reminds me of Napoleon Dynamite. The guy who plays Uncle Rico is a vegetarian, and during most of his on-screen time, he is munching on steak and trying to discreetly spit it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZiggyZambo wrote:
you mean an old fashioned or some similar glass

I thought it was a tumbler, so I looked it up. You were right. The tumblers are tall glasses, also called highballs. Here's a cool ref pic:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.