Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Wound healing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Maybe I'm misreading the rules, but I've always had issues with the healing of wounds. According to the rules, you can heal wounds in a city for 1 glory each. You can also "fully heal" when you camp down; and no mention is made anywhere of having to pay for it.

Which leads to badly wounded characters travelling around the world, starting an adventure, facing a danger, then suddenly being healed. Huh? I know I've intentionally not healed a character in order to save glory and buy more gear, betting that I would pass my first danger and get to heal.

So an obvious variant would be to charge glory for healing during adventures (using the same rules as in-city healing). But that would slow the game down, as glory would get sucked up by healing -- and also disadvantage characters who should prefer fighting, because they are more likely to take wounds.

So I thought we could introduce some role-playing elements here, and remove "fully heal" as an option for camping down, but instead during End Phase all characters not currently in a cliffhanger heal one wound for free. City healing would remain unaffected, reflecting the fact that you can buy better care in a city.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Personally, I've never found camping down to be a huge advantage, or bargain, of any sort. I'd rather just pay the glory and DEFINITELY heal, rather than gamble on rolling enough to reach the next adventure and hope to complete the first danger without getting knocked out or stuck in a cliffhanger (and giving up pressing forwards, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting KO'd on an adventure not only loses the Glory for that danger, but also items/glory/allies from being KO'd as well as the travel time to get to the artifact.

Time is pretty important, so camping after a single danger usually doesn't seem to be the optimal choice.

I don't think it will significantly impact the game to charge Glory to heal when camping down, but I'm not sure it's needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.