Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Reed
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone! i recently heard about this wonderful game and I am wondering which version to pick up first.

I really like the models of Prison, but I don't necessarily NEED them. I would rather just have the game than wait for a good deal on Prison. However, my main concern is that the rules are apparently different in Prison? I'm wondering if I could just download the Prison rules and play the base game. I'm aware they are backwards compatible, i'm just curious as to what the general opinion is on this issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
U.S. 95th Infantry Division - The Iron Men of Metz
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules in Prison and the base game are exactly the same. They are just presented differently -- Prison teaches you the game over five scenarios so you can learn a bit at a time, the base game gives it to you all at once.

But the scenarios in Prison are specific to those characters and items, so you would not be able to learn the base game with those rules necessarily.

The deciding factors would be:

1) do you like to play solo games? Prison has an amazing solo system.
2) Is 3/4 player a necessity? Then you may want to track down the base game and the 3/4 player expansion. They are getting hard to find.
3) Cost. Prison is more expensive, but you get the solo system and the figurines. Also, expansions for Prison are planned for 2012.

Let me know if you have any other questions. You may also want to check out the website of the International Dungeon Twister League for more information - www.dungeontwister.org.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Reed
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I got what I needed to hear. I watched Tom Vasels review recently and he made it sound like they changed the rules or something in that sense. I wanted to make sure that there wasn't a finite "better" version of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should also keep in mind that Prison brings you "advanced" rules (called Veteran rules in the rulebook) which is not in the "base" game.

But otherwise both are a good option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Reed
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you personally play Veteran or standard more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Weber
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The veteran rules are (mostly) just for players which combine Prison with other expansions. Then you have to use these rule additions, otherwise you don't need them.

See yourself: http://www.dungeontwister.com/us/download/dtprison_rulebook2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tank u-gin
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
My first and only one DT - is DT2-Prison. (I bought it about 1 month ago) And i really happy about everything. It is new it is fresh it is Year 2009. So there is no reason to worry about anything. Prison - is awesome! And it is playing good. And solo is very solid :-). I'm enjoying everything of DT2-prison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.