aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, not really sure if this is really 'pimped' as much as 'making it my own'.

So I bought this game at a very good price, being a ding and dent purchase. The top left front corner of the box was smashed in pretty good.

When I opened the box, none of the cards or counters were damaged (pretty insulated) so all good there, but the box still looked pretty funky.

Now what's so funny is that the score track is on the BACK of the box. Kind of ingenious if you think about it (from a cost saving prospective). A lot of folks criticize it, and I think I came up with an alternative.

So with a pair of scissors, I cut out the bottom of the box, and voila, I have my own score board. And I couldn't stop there. I cut out the front of the box as well, trimming close to the title of the game to avoid the smashed in corner, which actually looks kinda cool.

I also sleeved all the cards.

And I had an extra plano box, which really works perfectly with the great many different counters included in the game. The sleeved cards fit perfectly in the box as well (plus room for expansion), as well as the scoreboard and rules. Rock and Roll!

At first I had the front-of-box inside the plano box. The wife suggested super gluing it to the front of the box, since there was gross glue residue from the sticker I had to peel off. I think it looks cooler this way anyway.

Any other suggestions to pimp it let me know. I have plenty of room in the box. I'm trying to decide what to use for workers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Vandelay
Canada
100 Mile House
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Get a bottle cap (From a glass coca cola bottle or something) to represent the player token
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fbi_boy wrote:
Get a bottle cap (From a glass coca cola bottle or something) to represent the player token

Makes me think of the Fallout PC game where "caps" are money. First class. An old, rusty one would be perfectly thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
In some other thread I just read, someone suggested using expended ammo shell casings for the weapons tokens. Someone also suggested using bottle caps for scrap tokens. Aluminum can tabs might work as well, though any sharp edges might cut a player's finger...or worse damage the game pieces!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hilarious. bullet casings would look the best, but would roll off the table, so probably wouldn't be practical. Bottle caps would be awesome, but may be a bit dangerous to the cards or to humans, so gonna leave that out, but great idea.

For now, I'm doing:

(1) Ditching the scoring track altogether. I'm gonna hold on to it (not throw it away), but just not using it. Instead, I'm replacing with a D20 for each person. Any points accumulated on your base go to the D20. I'll still use the included VP for individual cards, but the D20 seems to work best. You can always tell what you or an opponent are at at a quick glance.

(2) Different colored meeples instead of workers. This avoid using worker chips AND faction tokens to denote placing workers on enemy buildings.

You know, I've found that I just don't like all of the little round bits in the game. They're great for keeping the cost of the game down, but I much prefer the meeples, and:

(3) red cubes for the guns

(4) blue cubes for deals

(5) grey cubes for the scrap

That's about it. The game just feels more...I dunno. Euro? Maybe that's the wrong word. I'm part of the Ameritrash clan, so I'd like to think I'm not 'Euroizing' my game. It just feels better to grab a hold of wooden bits rather than flat chips, ya know? It just feels like the components are upgraded a bit, and I like the flow of the game more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a 40k Catachan jungle fighter for first player marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'm on a misison to "pimp" my copy of the game as well. Using cubes for resources is a no brainer.

Do you really even need to use the distance markers? Seems like it is easy enough to just remember + use what you have when you get a distance resource.

Meeples for workers isn't a bad idea either.

Also, why can't you just use poker chips or something for VP's, and just accumulate VP's ... no real need for a score track right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:

Also, why can't you just use poker chips or something for VP's, and just accumulate VP's ... no real need for a score track right?

I think the only reason the score track exists is because of the end-of-game condition being a number of points (30). Having the score track helps people make sure that they always know the scores so they don't inadvertently cross the 30 point threshold without noticing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.