Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All these are fun lighter games for a higher number of players. Which one do you like the best and why? I'm wanting to add one of these to my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marley
United States
Moreno Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmmmm...one of these is not like the other!

For Sale and Incan Gold are lighter, quicker games. I personally like For Sale better then Incan Gold. But the large number of players supported by Incan Gold is nice.
Santiago is in a different class. More confrontational in nature, this is a game I have always enjoyed. So depending on your group changes the recommendation. But of the three I'd choose Santiago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago is not a quick game compared to the other two, nor is it light. I personally am not a great fan of it, as I don't like the way the auctions work or the "nasty" factor, but there are some nice ideas in it.

For Sale and Incan Gold are both similar in weight and length, the main difference is where their "sweet spot" is. For Sale works with 3-5, and although some editions play with 6, it's not best with that many - I personally think the sweet spot is 4 or 5. Incan Gold is best with as many as you can get - it loses something with just 3, plays ok with 4, but really shines with 5 or more. For fun factor I'd go with Incan Gold, but both get roughly equal amount of play at our house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first vote would go to Incan Gold. It's a fun, lite, push your luck filler game that works great for a large number.
If you already have something like that, then I'd consider For Sale as an excellent filler for 3-5 players. And I might swap this out with High Society, which is equally excellent in the 3-5 player filler category.
I don't consider Santiago a filler or lite game at all. It is a fine game liked by many in our group, but there are quite a lot of middle weight games that are good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago is the best of the three, though it can be cruel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago is an excellent but hard game. Your so-called 'friends' will stab you in the front and dance on your body. The auction mechanism is brilliant, simple, effective and deadly. I hate the standard round the table keep bidding or pass and you're out style auction. Santiago lets you bid once, either zero or a unique amount. So you always get to choose what you want to bid, and if you want to push the others, without a lot of stupid faffing around.

I love Santiago, every gamer should have one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sa266 wrote:
Santiago is not a quick game compared to the other two, nor is it light. I personally am not a great fan of it, as I don't like the way the auctions work or the "nasty" factor, but there are some nice ideas in it.

For Sale and Incan Gold are both similar in weight and length, the main difference is where their "sweet spot" is. For Sale works with 3-5, and although some editions play with 6, it's not best with that many - I personally think the sweet spot is 4 or 5. Incan Gold is best with as many as you can get - it loses something with just 3, plays ok with 4, but really shines with 5 or more. For fun factor I'd go with Incan Gold, but both get roughly equal amount of play at our house.

For Sale can actually be played with 1-6. For 1 or 2 players there are variants posted in the forum. I designed the solitaire variant and it works very well. There are several 2 player variants and some people seem to like them. My vote is for For Sale though Incan Gold is also a good choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like all three, and I agree with the love and comments for Santiago. I would also play Incan Gold (well Diamant) over For Sale most days, but that is just me. We own all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago is only a great game with 5 players. With 4 it's a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
fun lighter games for a higher number of players

For Sale is what you want. Incan Gold is good too, but not for nearly as many plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
Myoman wrote:
fun lighter games for a higher number of players

For Sale is what you want. Incan Gold is good too, but not for nearly as many plays.

But for a large number of players, For Sale won't work. If you are looking at more than 5, it has to be Incan Gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Metro Detroit Area
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played IG and FS and love For Sale. It is quick, light, but offers many choices. If I could add to the list I would add Felix: Cat in the Sack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and enjoy all three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I own and enjoy all three.

+1

Incan Gold: pure push your luck, metagame goodness. Who will cut n run first? Who will get the treasures? We call it "No Whammy, No Whammy" for the st00pid game show, but in a good way. What they said in that the more the merrier as it escalates the bluff aspect.

For Sale: There is actually strategy in the decision to get top property cards vs. middle/upper cards at value prices. Then you have to use those property cards efficiently to cop the checks that you need to win the game. Not deep, but one of the meatier fillers out there. EVERYONE loves this-family, non-gamer friends, gamers, etc. The MUST have of the three

Santiago: actually a tweener-in that it is a 30-60 minute game with some meaty decisions. The auction/catchup mechanism is both brilliant and nasty. The low bidder on the plantations gets last dibs, but gets to determine WHERE the canal is placed that round. It doesn't HAVE to be the highest bid, and it gives the poor a chance to get some money in the till. As nasty as they wanna be as the old song goes Great game, but not a filler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may matter; I do have Biblios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK WADDLE
United States
Austin
texAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES.

And Biblios too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.