Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
oeste wrote:
Are there any other good games that have that have small groups of players effectively teaming up and saying "we must now work together to maximize efficiency and profit"?

Any coop with individual victory conditions would do.
Defenders of the Realm springs to my mind (especially with the Victory Chits from the Dragon expansion). Just replace "profit" with "survival" meeple

And if you like trains & shares, you should definitely give 18xx a closer look. Although it takes much more than 1.5 hours to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Manila is lighter than the other games mentioned in this thread, but it has this sometimes-must-work-together-aspect too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If people are working together to make the company succeed, I think you guys haven't realized the full strategy of Chicago Express. You usually want to wreck a company (waste trains) in any company competing with the one you have the most shares in and promote only the one where you're the majority shareholder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Tan
New Zealand
Auckland
North Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the Boss? You play a rich CEO that must work with other CEO to seal deals and get cash but must outwit, outbluff and outscrew the others to get the best out of each deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated the 18xx series is what you would like but they do tend to take absurd amounts of time quite often.

If you are ready to stretch time a bit I found Poseidon to kind of work in that area but not be overkill long.

Some weak recomendations that can work Industria/Industry (It's more or less the same game but I found Industria somehow to be better) and Hansa. Neither of this games are really force you to collaborate but somehow, at least for me they tend to satisfy the same need. (Or I am just strange)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of train games have an aspect of stock ownership. Most lean toward the heavier side. Focusing in on your request for a game that is easy to learn, and relatively short:

Acquire is the granddaddy of shared-ownership stock games, although you don't "run" the companies per se. You just decide when to merge.

Airlines Europe is a modern light stock game, where players expand airline routes to make companies more valuable.

In Modern Art, players own art and want "their" artists to increase in value, but of course other people own works by those artists as well.

Supposedly Merchants requires semi-cooperation to get your types of goods to pay off.

In The Hobbit, apparently the players are greedy dwarves who must balance getting the most loot against everyone losing if Smaug advances too far. It doesn't have the multiple companies aspect you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Damron
United States
Danville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago express is an excellent game... other games with a stock market element that I would recommend:

Imperial or Imperial 2030

Steam Barons (You need a copy of Steam to play this)

Poseidon

I haven't played it, but I hear that Paris Connection is pretty good, and it's from the same bunch that made Chicago Express.

Giants is a great pick up and deliver game with beautiful art. You want your tribe to succeed but throughout the game you need to give points to other tribes in order to accomplish your goals.

Edit: You might also check out Arkadia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I just remembered Gheos, where as gods, the players own shares of civilizations that they create, merge, split, and destroy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Steel Driver?

Players control a company only for a turn in which they paid the most for its available share. And the more you pay for the share, the more tracks you can claim. So over time, there is joint ownership. It's also a lot faster than 18xx, (even Poseidon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
From the same family of Chicago Express, German Railways. It will be released by Queen very soon. Excellent game of shared ownerships that's a real blast to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
oeste wrote:

Absolutely, this is a great game, and I think is a better example of what you are looking for than even Chicago Express.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken K
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Power Struggle certainly has the theme, though you are not actually trying to run the company, just connive to get your people in power.

I always thought Modern Art was, at its core, a game about forming temporary partnerships within each season to drive up the value of particular artist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oeste wrote:
Arkadia, Airlines Europe, and Steel Driver stand out the most of the games mentioned. I can't quite gauge how much players are collaborating in Arkadia and Airlines Europe

In AE, on your turn, you can either grow the airline (making it payout more during scoring), or you can take shares in an airline. Obviously you would want to grow airlines you have a plurality of stock in. But you may have stock in your hand that you haven't yet put into play, so you might build up an airline that you appear to have a minority in. Of course, someone else might have even more shares in their hand than you do.

So there really isn't a sense of "running" a company in AE. You are simply "growing" it. The same can be said for Acquire, really. You choose which hotel chain to grow each turn. The two differences are that in AE you have more choice as to which company to grow, and that Acquire is mostly oriented around payouts that result from mergers, whereas AE is oriented around dividend payouts during scoring events throughout the game.

P.S. I haven't played Acquire for 30 years, so hopefully I am remembering it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oeste wrote:
Thanks for the description, Peak. It sounds like AE is more of a "what's in my hand" bluffing game, which I kinda have covered with Condottiere.

Hm. It didn't feel like a "bluffing game" to me when I played it. But I'm also not sure it's a great fit for what you're looking for.

Quote:
With CE, I feel like I would need to ass a few secrets to the instructions, but that wouldn't be too difficult to do.

Now that's a phrase I've never heard before!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Damron
United States
Danville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't overestimate the complexity of Imperial 2030. It's an easy game to play, as there are limited actions each turn (similar to Chicago Express, but it is handled quite differently). It is true that the player who owns the most stock in a country is the person that will take the actions for that country, but ownership does change hands and there are situations where you might be really rooting for a country to do well even if you aren't majority holder (and there's nothing stopping you from making suggestions to the controlling player).

In Arkadia players get paid out (in stock tokens of the building's color, IIRC) by having workers assist in completing buildings within the city. Completing a building lets you make a one adjustment to the stock pool (raising one stock value while lowering another).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
yes Imperial or Airlines Europe
Power Struggle is more about corporate competition

Noone has mentioned Pandemic
try that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paris Connection is like a filler length Chicago Express. You buy shares or add trains to increase the company's value. One difference is people can wreck companies they own no shares in on their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.