VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Intro
This game is a print and play game of air combat in 2d.
Use your points to outfit your ships and take out the opposing ones in combat.

Components
There is a rather long, color rulebook. You could probably get away with printing it in B+W.

There are a lot of nice examples as well as several scenarios.

There are some 3d planes available, but I opted for the 2d planes. Even so, they are sort of pain to cut when they are mounted on chipboard.

There is also a large quarter circle turning/movement template. You need several dice with special faces (I used indented dice), and few other flat objects (smoke, bomb targets). Each plane (there are several different versions) has a record sheet with check boxes. I laminated mine so I could reuse them.

Setup
You can pick a scenario or start a campaign, or just go for the "let's duke it out with X amount of points.

Each plane has different abilities, but the same basic weapons.
You have to buy these specials however.

Game Turn Sequence
Each turn starts by rolling initiative. Each plane rolls it's initiative. You can increase it by upgrading your crew at the beginning of the game.

That player picks who goes first. This can be a huge advantage as you can control who hits whom in the combat phase.

On your turn
You use the movement template and line it up with the front of your plane. Your speed dictates how far you can move, and how far you MUST move. You then roll your turning die to see far you can turn.
Then you move your plane on the movement template somewhere between the min and max lines for your speed.

Then you can shoot. Each weapon can hit at different ranges. They roll different dice and can vary from miss to doing critical damage. You then see where the damage lands on the plane. Depending on what takes damage (crew, weapons) certain things might start breaking.

Randomness
The different dice vary, so rolling one color is always better than another. But still damage will be pretty extreme on one side or the other.

My Rating
This seems like it could be a neat game. I'm not sure what kept me from enjoying it. The initiative was key, as I found that by timing when I went first, I could shoot and my opponent would have to fly past me. It just wasn't that unique or exciting. Perhaps the huge manual which was filled with "fluff" tried too hard to be an RPG type game with a huge backstory, and the game didn't live up to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hoy
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The components for this game turned out really well. I really love how the planes and the templates look especially when mounted. Thanks for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.