Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my observations on the lower mid-range to low cost/power creatures. This isn’t to say there is a clear divider on what is a weaker and what is a stronger mid-range creature it is simply a division I made on my own to separate the monsters into 2 more manageable groups for the purposes of discussion.

SCAVENGING GOBLIN: Low cost, low power. Level 1 across the board this creature is only slightly above an assistant in terms of stats, 2 attack and 2 defense. With two single quiddity sides this is not a great revenue generater, on the other hand it is one of the few creatures with 4 straight up creature sides. Two of which are standard, two which contain burst effects.

SCAVENGING GOBLIN: At a cost of two this is the cheapest non-assistant creature currently in the game. It also is not a dead buy in my view. The burst effect essentially allows you to summon this creature for free and 2 attack can add up, especially when you consider you have a decent chance of rolling a creature face. This guy actually feels half-way dependable.
STRONG SCAVENGING GOBLIN: Arguably the best of the GOBLINS. Gaining + 1 defense for each other creature you play can make this monster a cheap but effective damage sponge.
MIGHTY SCAVENGING GOBLIN: If it comes down to a choice between this creature and pretty much anything other than an assistant you are going to sacrifice this guy. If you have no choice it doesn’t matter and he is toast anyways. Having an effect that improves your next draw upon its death is a solid deal when he inevitably kicks the bucket.
QUAXOS’ SCAVENGING GOBLIN: Basic QUAXOS immunity that all promo creatures have. If you have a bunch of these or other QUAXOS monsters it will grow in attack and defense for each one. Also pays for itself with its burst effect and can even make a profit. Still, surprisingly the 1 quiddity more cost than the basic GOBLIN seems to make this an overall less attractive purchase. The other abilities simply do not come into play enough.

DEVOTEE OF THE HOLY QUERY: Low to lower mid-range in cost. Stats range from level 1 with 2 sides of 0 attack and 3 defense to level 2 with 2 sides of 2 attack and 4 defense. Another 4 creature faced die this one offers slightly better quiddity with one side at 1 and one side at 2, however it also makes a trade off having only a single side with a burst effect. When I first saw this guy I figured he would be great. The more creature faces the better right? In practice though this guy sees far less play than GOBLINS. This is due to the creatures at a price point of 4 being an inferior pick to most other purchases at that range including portal dice which are always available. On top of this while having decent defense, the chance of 0 attack makes it a risky option to take a chance on. You learn fast with 0/3 states how much you can miss even the 1 attack from an assistant. The biggest issue though is that everything good about these creatures is usually tied to the single burst side, no passive abilities as all.

DEVOTEE OF THE HOLY QUERY: As with the other DEVOTEES, this is a purely defensive creature. The 1 in 6 chance to get a 2 attack, 6 defense creature just isn’t incentive enough to make this a common purchase. Still, being the cheapest of the pack at a total cost of 3 makes it possible depending on what other options are on the table.
STRONG DEVOTEE OF THE HOLY QUERY: So I am going to pay 4 quiddity for a 1 in 6 chance to summon a creature that IF it then survives will let me gain a spell die that costs 4 or less for free? If there is a spell die I want available for 4 or less I would most likely buy it instead of this creature.
MIGHTY DEVOTEE OF THE HOLY QUERY: A 1 in 6 chance of gaining +3 defense, becoming immune to spells, and gaining the ability to ignore opposing spell attachments. Actually that is pretty good. The defense anyways, the ignoring spell ability simply is not reliable enough to roll to make it a dependable utility creature. I think I still would get more use out of a portal die than this creature.

GHOSTLY SPIRIT: A more average dice set. 3 sides creature but with 2 sides 1 quiddity and a single 2 quiddity side. This creature has 2 sides of level 1 at 2 attack and 2 defense but also has a single level 2 side with a respectable 3 attack and 3 defense. These creature are low to lower mid-range in cost. While lacking the fourth creature face of the GOBLIN or DEVOTEES, they carry an advantage of utilizing passive abilities rather than relying on burst rolls.

GHOSTLY SPIRIT: This guy just screams cannon fodder. You get to use him to soak up hits then he culls out your basic quiddity and comes right back into play for more punishment. You can eventually run out of basic quiddity but you will doubtlessly get some solid usage out of this monster before then. A great buy, one of the best at the 3 quiddity price point. Probably one of the best methods to mass cull as not only does it cull to come back into play, with its survival rate you will be standard culling on an increased basis as well.
STRONG GHOSTLY SPIRIT: Pretty much flat out worse than the basic GHOSTLY SPIRIT. Not useless but not really that great of a buy in most situations. I don’t hate things going from play to the active pool but I prefer the effects to guarantee me something, not simply giving me a roll and a chance for something.
MIGHTY GHOSTLY SPIRIT: Worst of the bunch. I don’t like unreliability in my dice abilities when I already have enough randomness to contend with from the game itself. I don’t think I would ever buy this.

WARRIOR OF THE QUAY: Average dice set here. A single quiddity side, 2 double quiddity sides and 3 monster faces. This creature has a playable level 1 with 2 attack and 3 defense and healthy level 2 with 3 attack and 4 defense. When I think of the ‘average’ creature in Quarriors I think of this guy. It is not a super powerhouse but at the same time it is rarely a dead pull as a creature on the field.

WARRIOR OF THE QUAY: The ability to gain an attack bonus if there is only one creature on defense seems limited. In reality though it happens quite a bit, not to mention it can force people to lower their purchase budgets to summon an otherwise unwanted assistant just to prevent this ability from going to work.
STRONG WARRIOR OF THE QUAY: +1 attack and defense to all of your other creatures probably won’t regularly be overwhelmingly huge but it will at least affect one other creature enough for it to be worth a purchase. I wouldn’t rely on this guy to be your driving force but at its price it is a very solid buy in pretty much any match.
MIGHTY WARRIOR OF THE QUAY: Well it is worth 3 glory I suppose. I usually buy 1, never more for obvious reasons.
QUAXOS’ WARRIOR OF THE QUAY: So all the basic promo creature abilities aside I really love this guys unique ability. It allows you to summon any other creature in your active pool for free when it hits the table. This guy can really help out your buying power; it doesn’t hurt your late game summoning power either. Cost of 6 to buy though, THAT I hold no love for and it can be reason enough for me to pass on him at times.

DEATHDEALER: In terms of a cost to power ratio I consider this group to be the top of the mid to lower range creatures. The basic 1 side of 1 quiddity and 2 double quiddities. These monsters bring 2 level 1 sides with 3 attack and 2 defense to the table. Their level 2 however can really bring down the house with an attack of 4 and a defense of 4 to match.

DEATHDEALER: When it scores you may trade it for one die from any other player’s used pile. So yeah you CAN at times grab a dragon or something, I wouldn’t count on it though. What makes this guy a beast though is not its ability but rather having its basic stats at a low cost of only 3 quiddity. If you have no taste for finesse stocking up on these guys is the way to go.
STRONG DEATHDEALER: So in a game centered around keeping creatures alive after attacking so you can score them, here we have a creature that scores right after it kills something during its attack. Nothing bad to say about this guy, he breaks the rules in the best way possible.
MIGHTY DEATHDEALER: Maybe not as direct in terms of moving the score board as the STRONG DEATHDEALER, this creature nevertheless has an equally devastating ability when an opposing monster is destroyed. This self buffing monster can turn a single kill into a complete wipe of the enemy’s field. This creature excels at cannon fodder removal and is best purchased when your opponent has lots of weaker creatures regularly hitting the field, although really it is rarely going to be a poor buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good summary! I do have a query over the Mighty Deathdealer which has some specific conditions for not being able to multiply its effect per player. However, it doesn't quite go far enough to clearly define what happens if you have two or more of them in play. Any thoughts?

The only plus I can say for the Devotees is the fact they have 4 creature sides. It's a real shame their burst ability only has a 1/6th chance of being seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like these reviews. I haven't taken the time to sit down and compare the different versions myself, so I like hearing your take on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo wrote:
Good summary! I do have a query over the Mighty Deathdealer which has some specific conditions for not being able to multiply its effect per player. However, it doesn't quite go far enough to clearly define what happens if you have two or more of them in play. Any thoughts?

The only plus I can say for the Devotees is the fact they have 4 creature sides. It's a real shame their burst ability only has a 1/6th chance of being seen.

The Mighty Deathdealers effect triggers the first time a creature dies while it is attacking, so you could have any number of them and it would trigger for all of them. So say you attacked with 2 Deathdealers with stats at 3 attack. The wording states that they simply have to be involved in the attack so as soon as a creature is killed then the player defending would go from having to deal with 6 attack to dealing with a total of 12. Of course that resets for the next player to take damage and would then again only be 6.

I really think the Devotees really needed a few weak passive abilities or at the least one more burst side. On paper they actually don't look all that bad, in practise though I consider them the least playable creatures in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
You still have to subtract the defense of that first creature killed, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
You still have to subtract the defense of that first creature killed, correct?

Yes, so if the first creature had 3 defense there would be 3 more attack from the second Deathdealer plus the 6 additional attack from both Deathdealers abilities triggering. So overall there would 9 attack to still deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of those four creatures, Ghostly Spirit and Scavenging Goblin sees the most play time by far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
Of those four creatures, Ghostly Spirit and Scavenging Goblin sees the most play time by far.

I would say out of all five Deathdealer would get included in that list. But yeah overall the more you play the less Devotees will see use. Warriors of the Quay for me tend to be single purchases. I like them but rarely enough to buy multiple copies.

I see some players ignore Goblins. At a cost of 2-3 some see them as simply unwanted place holders for dice you would rather draw. I however find they really come in handy with their frequency of coming out creature faced and thus making a more reliable source of additional attack and scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:

I would say out of all five Deathdealer would get included in that list. But yeah overall the more you play the less Devotees will see use. Warriors of the Quay for me tend to be single purchases. I like them but rarely enough to buy multiple copies.

I see some players ignore Goblins. At a cost of 2-3 some see them as simply unwanted place holders for dice you would rather draw. I however find they really come in handy with their frequency of coming out creature faced and thus making a more reliable source of additional attack and scoring.

Oh, I guess there are five creatures there, huh? Well, regardless, the Goblin and Spirit come out most often and I am a big fan of both. For the price, the Goblin does some great stuff and still gives you 2 Glory when it scores. The Spirit is pretty self-explanitory since you just can't get rid of the bugger until he scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.