Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week, after my gaming group was wrapping up, one of the guys mentioned game XYZ (omitting name of game to protect the innocent) and asked if anyone was interested in playing it. I had heard of the game but had never played it. Regardless, I've heard nothing but positive things about it. So, I said I'd be interested.

A few days later, while I was browsing in the store where our game group meets, one of the guys who works there introduced me to someone who has played XYZ for years (not the same guy from the game night) and who might be joining this group. After talking for a few minutes, he offered to meet up with me at some point to give me a basic idea of how the game works, which I thought was a wonderful gesture. We found a time that worked for both of us a few days later.

That day comes, and I meet this guy at the store. He has a copy of the game with him to show me some of the basic mechanics (or so I thought). Granted, he did start of by showing me some of the game's mechanics and how they relate to the board. However, it quickly turned into him pulling out the 80+ page rulebook and going through every section of it (some parts in excessive detail). On top of that, nearly every rule was tied into the story of a previous session he had played. While I was looking at my cell phone for the time more often than not, it hadn't fully hit me that 3.5 hours had passed when he finally finished saying everything he had to say.

Now, I know I should've stopped him sooner, as I basically remember, at most, 5% of what he said. I suppose it was the combination of me not having to be anywhere that day plus me feeling bad for his taking the time out to explain the game to me that had me not cutting him off a lot sooner.

What did I learn that day? Bring a book to read next time Also, if someone ever asks me to show them how a game works, ask them if they want the 15-minute explanation or the "full session" explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I guess at least it's a good sign for the game XYZ that someone is so enthusiastic about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely if you knew enough to be interested in the game you knew it had a monster rules manual and couldn't possibly have expected a basic idea explanation to take just 15 minutes. Also, why would you bother setting up a meeting for a 15 minute explanation? He could have just stood there the first time and given you the elevator pitch.

I'd count yourself lucky you got such a wonderfully detailed and passionate introduction to a game you were interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coscio
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope the game wasn't Monopoly or Uno: The Director's Cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davex wrote:
I just hope the game wasn't Monopoly or Uno: The Director's Cut.

... or Munchkin.

Diis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennberg wrote:
it hadn't fully hit me that 3.5 hours had passed when he finally finished saying everything he had to say.

It sounds to me like time flew by and you may have enjoyed it more than you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are everyone not playing XYZ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm constantly amazed at the type of people who play boardgames, and I think a largish proportion of us fit somewhere in the Asbergers/autism spectrum - high functioning of course.

by a largish proportion I mean more so than you might find in your local football, wine tasting or theatre group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:

I find the theme pasted on. It could be called 123.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, I'm really curious as to what game XYZ is... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend who always buys new games and then anytime I phone him will start explaining the game to me. But not just an overview, a FULL WALKTHROUGH. On the PHONE. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if XYZ is:

A) Advanced Civilization
B) Republic of Rome
C) Magic Realm
D) None of the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
I wonder if XYZ is:

A) Advanced Civilization
B) Republic of Rome
C) Magic Realm
D) None of the above.

If it was B, then the guy really did give him the brief overview, and should be commended for such an admirable job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I overview a game, I say what it's about, what game it has similar mechanics to, and which mechanic that is if they know the other game, and what mechanic draws me to it. That's it.

If I was demoing a game, however..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
I wonder if XYZ is:

A) Advanced Civilization
B) Republic of Rome
C) Magic Realm
D) None of the above.

Forgot to mention HIS...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hayden
United States
Amelia
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
I wonder if XYZ is:

A) Advanced Civilization
B) Republic of Rome
C) Magic Realm
D) None of the above.

My money is on ASL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
When I overview a game, I say what it's about, what game it has similar mechanics to, and which mechanic that is if they know the other game, and what mechanic draws me to it. That's it.

If I was demoing a game, however..

When he and I were first introduced, we only spoke for a couple minutes. It was basically: "Hey, I'm thinking of joining their game group to play XYZ. The guy who works here says you play it. I've never played it before." "Yeah, I play it. Why don't you come by sometime and I'll give you an overview of the game and show you the board and pieces." "Sure, that'd be great."

Orangemoose wrote:
It sounds to me like time flew by and you may have enjoyed it more than you think.

I was initially expecting it to be 30 minutes, maybe an hour at most, with him showing me the board, the pieces, maybe how a couple turns work. Initially, it was fun to learn about the game. As I mentioned, it eventually turned into me feeling bad that he took the time to be there with me not having to be anywhere, so I let him be when he got to rambling over every rule section.

A few days later, when I ran into the guy at the game store who introduced us, he asked how the game introduction went. I suppose I had a really descriptive look on my face because the store employee said, "Yeah, he does that."

havoc110 wrote:
I wonder if XYZ is:

A) Advanced Civilization
B) Republic of Rome
C) Magic Realm
D) None of the above.

D. It is neither ASL nor HIS. The game actually has very few pieces compared to these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
I wonder if XYZ is:

A) Advanced Civilization
B) Republic of Rome
C) Magic Realm
D) None of the above.

If XYZ isn't a game about strained diplomatic relations between the United States and France resulting in the Alien and Sedition Acts, I will be extremely disappointed.

...Actually, now that I think about it... [takes off in a hurry]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
Go ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
halobungieman wrote:
havoc110 wrote:
I wonder if XYZ is:

A) Advanced Civilization
B) Republic of Rome
C) Magic Realm
D) None of the above.

My money is on ASL.

Either that, or Case Blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:
havoc110 wrote:

I find the theme pasted on. It could be called 123.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So XYZ is not as easy as ABC ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
So XYZ is not as easy as ABC ?

No, but at least it's easier than ẌY̊Ẑ !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
randall fischer

Warren
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XYZ could very easily be TI3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.