Discworld: Ankh-Morpork» Forums » General

Subject: Underwhelmed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game twice yesterday and while colourful and somewhat funny I must admit that I was a bit underwhelmed despite being a HUGE Discworld fan.

I had expected a more "adult" game, this is simply too simple for me. While it was a hit with me 12 year old son I really doubt it will ever hit the table in my local playgroup? Apart from the designer name this is your standard a little bit of randomness a little bit of luck game with a well known theme. Sure you can laugh a bit at the well known characters but where's the actual game play?

My rating would be a 7 when playing with the kids and a 6 otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it is a game that is supposed to appeal to a big public so you can't be expecting that it is a very hard game or people would just walk away from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OOPS! Warning I'm gonna flame a tad. Feel free to skip to the next post:

Huh. I have to admit, I'm kind of tired of people who make negative comments about games because they aren't *gamerish* enough. Not all boardgames need to have that kind of complexity. I enjoy that style game, too, *occasionally*, but honestly, I think there's a LARGE group of gamers out here who would much rather play a game with light strategy most of the time than brainburners. YMMV.

Flamer off.

I think I'll like Ankh Morpork the game better if I am laughing a lot while playing it, as long as it *does* require some strategic thinking. Nobody thus far has dared accuse Mr. Wallace of making a non-strategic game....heh heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Barad said. I believe Martin Wallace said it was his intention to make a game that could sell in bookstores and the like, not just hobby game stores, hence not being as meaty as his usual fare.

My idea for a meatier Discworld game would be something akin to Republic of Rome: everyone is trying to be on top, yet they must all hang together or hang separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the feeling I would be underwhelmed when I heard about this game. From what I've seen about Martin talking about the game I have picked up that it would be more family orrientaed than his usual fare. Which is fair enough, it's not for me. It's good that Martin has been open about the intended audience. It does make this the first Wallace game in a while I haven't been excited about.

Although I know a couple of people who are getting it so I will play it soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying that I only need brainburners, but some thinking requirements would have been nice.

This game has the weight of candy floss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I got it for my dad devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's disappointing to hear. While I knew it was a light game, I thought there might be a little substance there. It sounds like it doesn't even have any strategic complexity and is even lighter than say, Citadels, for instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Vejrum
United Kingdom
Richmond
Surrey
flag msg tools
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
badge
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played it, yet, myself, but it looks more like a Faidutti game than a Wallace game - take that as a positive or negative. Generally, I like the lighter, chaotic, FUN of typical Faidutti games, so I am looking forward to playing this, but "serious" Wallace fanbois may not like this at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

I was afraid it would be to gamerly to share it with all the folk I'd like to play it with. That sounds like it won't be an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Taylor
United Kingdom
Cambridge
CAMBS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It reminds me a little bit of El Grande (which I've only played once).

I agree that El Grande has another level of strategy but is it also considered a light game by some?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the heads-up. This definitely moves it to the "try-before-buy" category for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play it without thinking of strategy .... then you'll probably lose and may become an accidental kingmaker (almost literally!)

"Choose a card from a hand of (usually) five and play it" - easy; now there may be a card that you really don't want to play - even easier; but the obvious choice may well be the wrong one if you think a bit more about it - just like many another game. Timing, hand management, and observation of just what your opponents are up to all play their part.

Yes, there is a high luck factor* - so is there in Poker and rubber Bridge (OK, it is probably higher than in either of those).

* almost essential for a mass-market game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again I'm not saying it's a bad game (I did rate it a 7), just that I expected it to be a little bit more serious. Of course there is some strategy involved but on a lower lever than what I personally had wished for. As I didn't read up on the game before buying which I perhaps should have done I have only myself to blame.

To me defence I should say that I didn't expect the most serious game in the world, the Discworld setting being as it is, but I did expect a little bit more of long term planning and a little bit of strategy it being a Martin Wallace game after all.

The game is well done though, the art is fun and they really managed to get most of the characters in the books in as cards with matching abilities which is cool.

All in all, consider this a Cavet Emptor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps more strategies become apparent when you've played the game a few times? Of course that is scarce comfort to those who give up after one game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Perhaps more strategies become apparent when you've played the game a few times? Of course that is scarce comfort to those who give up after one game.

Well, I have played it twice already so I didn't give up after one game at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been stated from the beginning that this was a family light game, not having much in common with the designer's usual games...

(Which is why I have no interest in it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me this hits all of it's targets-

- It's simple enough for non-gamers
- There's enough theme for the Discworld fans
- There's enough game for me (i.e. a gamer) to find it interesting.

I was a little worried that it would be too 'light' based on some pre-publication comments - a first play proved this not to be the case. It's not 'Brass', 'AoS' or 'God's Playground' in terms of depth and weight by any means, but there is strategy in deciding how to pursue your victory objectives without giving the game away and tactical decisions on each card play.

Whether there is enough game here to justify purchasing a £100 collectors deluxe edtion - well, that might be stretching it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:

A non gamer and Discworld fan would, most likely, only buy the game as a collectors piece, if they buy it at all. (and they'd miss out on the collectors and deluxe editions)

Why would you believe this. I would tend to think that non-gamers would be more apt to play the game if they were able to play it, thus its low weight value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed with Martin's choice to make this a light family game. In general:

:star:A gamer and a Discworld fan will have a tough time choosing whether or not to buy and if they do buy, be disappointed to some extent. (I fall into this category).

:star:A non gamer and Discworld fan would, most likely, only buy the game as a collectors piece, if they buy it at all. (and they'd miss out on the collectors and deluxe editions)

:star:A gamer and not a Discworld fan wont go anywhere near it.

Of course there are other fringe options but it just seems like a really bad marketing decision.... especially with the real collectors and deluxe editions only finding their way into die hard gamers hands who keep up with treefrog or Martin.

I didn't care initially as my discworld fanboiness took over and I planned on buying all of the versions but slowly have been getting less and less interested :shake:

Was there any sort of write up or interview as to why the game weight was selected to be so low? (it seems to miss the mark for any target audience).

Its not clear, have you played the game yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you'll like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Małecki
Poland
Oława
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
Well, first to state the obvious... non gamers don't like to play games which is why they are labelled non-gamers.

Following this logic gamers will very soon die out like dinosaurs, although less spectacularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
Well, first to state the obvious... non gamers don't like to play games which is why they are labelled non-gamers.

I think I see it more as non-gamers are people who do not go out of their way to play games. Not necessarily anti-games. I guess people who really do not like games will not be swayed by how heavy the game is.

However I think that the target audience is Discworld fans, who will buy and maybe play the game if they can grasp it. I really get the feeling that hardcore gamers/Discworld fans are not the target audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
I'm not saying that I only need brainburners, but some thinking requirements would have been nice.

This game has the weight of candy floss.

You mean it's like playing dominoes? I don't think so. Really you guys....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
rednar wrote:
KissaTaikuri wrote:

Following this logic gamers will very soon die out like dinosaurs, although less spectacularly.

I can smell the tar pits already

... to clarify what I meant by non-gamers, I was referring to people who already know that they don't like to play games, not those who have no idea and may still be turned to the geekside. For sure you'll get some of those but they'd have to be big discworld fans.

Harumph. I don't like the "non" applied to anything positive - it imples those who are in tge non category are deficient in some way, or there is something wrong with the original group that you don't want to be part of. As in "nonchristians" and "non-militaristic".

The only "nongamer" is a person who is categotically against all games. I prefer terms like "casual gamer", "family gamer". "light game fan" or even the questionable "gateway game fan" to NON.

(Although nan bread is quite yummy! *grin*)

Montebanc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.