VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game with these guys.

I was having a lot of trouble actually getting these guys out on the field without dying right away. The Vargoth have a lot of movement/hitting specials and it was hard to get close to do much damage.

I kept on holding him back from my summoner, but I was always on the defensive.

I managed to take control of one of his units, which was a breath.

However, I was running out of units, and my summoner was engaging the enemy and taking damage.

And soon it was all over, my summoner vs Quen, champion of the Vargoth. My weakened summoner had no chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Johnstone
Canada
Villa Straylight, Freeside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I haven't got my Master's Set yet but when I do I will try this match-up and let you know if I have any better success.

I like the style of the play-by-play you used for this session report and will try it out myself the next time I play.

Keep up the good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Bullock
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deceivers are a huge help. If you can use a freshly Summoned Decevier to pin down one or two MV Commons to clog off a lane, that's huge. Muster is obviously problematic here, but hopefully the threat of Mimic can minimize that.

Using Controllers to ping Sunderved is also useful; he's never safe when they can open lanes of attack.

And Mind Controlling Brutes is also really helpful, as they can soak up damage in the way that your other Units.

Obviously, this matchup isn't the easiest in the game, but if you can throw some wrenches in the MV's plans, you've got a shot, however, you're probably going to need to take out Sunderved, as it's tough to win a battle of attrition here (as you saw).

Oh, and don't be afraid to Counter Summon, particularly Quen or Torodin.

Edit:
An additional comment, looking at that board, is about your Wall position. Placing a Wall like that on the far edge is generally a bad Wall placement. You make your opponent's job in terms of crowding that Wall 25% easier by placing it there and it's not really cutting off an attack lane for Rushers/Torodin in this situation.

Hope all this helps some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it was just one of those games. I really like the Benders, but in that game I just couldn't get anything going.

In a future game I played against the swamp orcs, the deceivers were awesome. Just pin them and then kill them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KevOne
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice quick step by step match up, I like this style. cool

I've play against bender countless time, it is one of my buddie's favourite faction. I can tell that Bender has to work just little harder in this match up due to the in-ur-face nature of the MV.

I can tell that Bender main focus is to just stall with Deceiver chokage and never kill those that are stunned, than build up for your win condition which are Sorgwen plus Controller, these two unit are very explosive and are the main ways to win with bender. Some faction might need different winning tactic though but the jest of it is that.

But as Cory said above, your bender wall placement is not the best, bender best wall formation usually is :

[_] [_] [_] [_] [_] [_]
[_] [w] [_] [w] [_] [w]
[_] [_] [_] [_] [_] [_]
[_] [_] [_] [_] [_] [_]

something like that, so the spaces in between the wall can be easily choke by your Deceiver and they will be forever safe choking their unit. Also it is useful to choke their front wall with yours.

Your opponent's MV wall formation is not the best neither so it's all good lol. MV wall should be little bit apart and up front so Sunderved could use Fall Back with ease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
msg tools
mb
I find that this match up is bad for the Mountain Vargath.

As people mentioned Deciever's are the key against this faction, your Benders can become almost untouchable.

The strategy is to grind it out with their commons (you have the edge due to Deciever's) then you counter summon their Champions (at least two of them) They really have no chance when you do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.