Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing around with Defense of Klap? scenario and picking up some insight (hopefully). Here's some tips I've picked up so far.

ATGM's run out of ammo quickly so don't count on them lasting long and only take the shot if you have a good chance of hitting.
You can't fire ATGM's while in Assault Move
M2 autocannons work great against the Russian APC's but the Russian HEAT ammo barely scratches M2's puny armor.
Hiding in terrain is a must for the USA. The Russians will typically be assault moving into your area, get some degrading terrain and cover and the +2 for firing in AM and suddenly your +1 (degrading terrain) is their +5 (+2 AM, +1 degrading, +2 forest hex) modifier.
Buttoning up for the US isn't a big deal, the IR optics gives you +2 to search and you can still spot where as the Russian vehicles are blinded the moment they button up.

Poliorcetes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
M2 autocannons work great against the Russian APC's but the Russian HEAT ammo barely scratches M2's puny armor.

Matt, you might be doing something radically wrong. A BMP-2's Konkurs has a 84% chance of waxing a Bradly. A Sagger has a 50% chance, an RPG-7 has almost a 40% chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall, bmp 2 autocannon has penetration of 3, heat ammo is- 4, so you roll at a -1 . What am I doing wrong?

Poliorcetes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt...the AC isn't using heat ammo. That's why it uses the black numbers. So it penetrates on a three against the Bradley's frontal armor of three, so it's a toss-up. Comprende?

Now, if the same BMP_2 fires it's ATGM (a Konkurs, I think), its penetration is 16, -4 because of the Bradley's special armor, which makes it 12 + 1d6, against the BRadley's 3 +1d6. The only way the Brad lives is by rolling a six and the Bump rolling a 1 (a dud round).

Wow, I'm glad you brought this up, and I hope I cleared it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Russians will typically be assault moving into your area, get some degrading terrain and cover and the +2 for firing in AM and suddenly your +1 (degrading terrain) is their +5 (+2 AM, +1 degrading, +2 forest hex) modifier.

I had trouble understanding what you meant by this initially.

The assault movement modifier is -2 to the attacker's firepower, if I recall correctly. It sounds like you're transposing it into the defensive modifiers?

I know it works out to be the same thing in the end -2 to the attacker's FP vs. +2 to the defenders defensive roll, but I'm wondering if I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

You are correct. @ is subtracted from the firepower of the Assault Moving unit, another 1 is subtracted if they fire through degrading terrain.

Another point...The Russians have 2 FP at 2-3 hexes, but 1 FP at 4-6, where the Americans still have 2 FP. That means a group of American squads, firing at 6 hexes have 4 FP, where three Russian squads only have 2 FP at the same distance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.