Subject: Rule change in revised edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Skellett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
A wolf and a penguin could never live together, nor could a camel and a hippopotamus. That would be absurd.
badge
And the older you get, the fewer things you really love. And by the time you get to my age, maybe it's only one or two things. With me, I think it's one.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished reading the revised rules & found a rule change that I couldn't find mentioned anywhere else in the forums. It has to do with reflowing water.

Revised edition (p9): "If one of the rooms connected by the opened hatch contains a high water Flood token, and the other room has a low water Flood token or no Flood token at all, the water level equalizes between the two rooms: flip the high water Flood token to the low water side, and add a low water token to the other room (if one isn't already present)."

Original recipe (p9): "If one of the rooms connected by the opened hatch contains a High Water token, and the other room has no Flood token at all, water equalizes between the two rooms. Replace the High Water token with a Low Water token, and add a Low Water token to the room with no Flood token."

So water can now flow between high & low flooded rooms making them both low. I haven't played the game yet so I'd be interested to hear how you think this will affect the game.

I presume it will it make it slightly easier for the gnomes? Maybe that's good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Shepherd
Canada
Tecumseh
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm. I think that is how I've always played it. Good to see they liked my misinterpretation enough to change the rules to make it fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goat Goatington
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
From http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Red%20November... :

Page 5
When a hatch is opened, water might flow between the two rooms it connects.
This takes no additional time.
If one of the rooms connected by the opened hatch contains a highwater
Flood token and the other room has no Flood token at all, the
water level equalizes between the two rooms: flip the high-water Flood
token to the low-water side, and add a low-water token to the other room.
A player cannot enter a room at high water if he is in a room at low
water (i.e., the room at low water must be pumped before a player may
open the adjoining hatch). Low water never flows into another room,
and water never flows into or out of the sub through an exterior hatch.
If a Flood token is added to a room with a Fire token, the fire is put out:
remove the Fire token. See “Environmental Hazards” on page 13.

Page 13
When a hatch is opened between a room with a high-water Flood
token and a room with a low-water Flood token or no Flood token
at all, the water level in both rooms becomes low water.

The first set of rules omits anything about high water flow into a low water room, though you could (and probably should) take the ommission as "it doesn't happen" The second rule contradicts that implication by saying that the water will flow.

The first rule says that you can't move through the hatch but then implies you can't open it either, though I don't see how that can be implied when open hatch and stay is a valid choice. If the implied choice is taken then the second rule about high water into low water can never occur in actual play since the hatch will never be opened.

Confusion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Skellett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
A wolf and a penguin could never live together, nor could a camel and a hippopotamus. That would be absurd.
badge
And the older you get, the fewer things you really love. And by the time you get to my age, maybe it's only one or two things. With me, I think it's one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I see. A third rulebook.

I was referring to this one:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Red%20November...

as the 'Revised edition'. Perhaps I meant the 'Updated rules' for the original Silver Line edition.

I think I'll play it the 'Updated'/easier way the first time & then decide whether to play the harder way.

I can definitely see the confusion in the rulebook that Goateh quoted though. It seems they don't know which version of that rule to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been awhile, but I recall that the designer, Bruno Faidutti, did not like the change that low and high water can be equalized to low. He didn't want the change because it made things easier and was never originally thought of by him, it was added by FFG.

Here is a thread where Bruno answers that High/Low cannot become Low/Low and gives a link to the FAQ on his site: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played with the "slimline" edition. I too go by the old fashioned rule that "high hatch low", you can't do anything about. It's only when you have "high hatch no-water" that you can open the hatch and it becomes "low hatch low". It seems like doing things the revised way would make things too easy, but being a co-op game, you could always tweak the difficulty to suit your group's needs.

And yea, it's still possible to drown in high water with these revised rules. Youre in a room with all blocked hatches and an event puts a high flood in your compartment/room. If no1 helps you unblock the hatch, you won't be able to move to a room without high flooding.

Furthermore, one game, the game owner insisted on playing with the alternate rule that not only do you need to spend 1m to open a hatch, but you need to add +1m per room you go in, so going from one room to another would really take 2m, not just 1m for the hatch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Hecker
Germany
Paderborn
flag msg tools
Goateh wrote:
From http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Red%20November... :

Page 5
When a hatch is opened, water might flow between the two rooms it connects.
This takes no additional time.
If one of the rooms connected by the opened hatch contains a highwater
Flood token and the other room has no Flood token at all, the
water level equalizes between the two rooms: flip the high-water Flood
token to the low-water side, and add a low-water token to the other room.
A player cannot enter a room at high water if he is in a room at low
water (i.e., the room at low water must be pumped before a player may
open the adjoining hatch). Low water never flows into another room,
and water never flows into or out of the sub through an exterior hatch.
If a Flood token is added to a room with a Fire token, the fire is put out:
remove the Fire token. See “Environmental Hazards” on page 13.

Page 13
When a hatch is opened between a room with a high-water Flood
token and a room with a low-water Flood token or no Flood token
at all, the water level in both rooms becomes low water.

The first set of rules omits anything about high water flow into a low water room, though you could (and probably should) take the ommission as "it doesn't happen" The second rule contradicts that implication by saying that the water will flow.

The first rule says that you can't move through the hatch but then implies you can't open it either, though I don't see how that can be implied when open hatch and stay is a valid choice. If the implied choice is taken then the second rule about high water into low water can never occur in actual play since the hatch will never be opened.

Confusion!

I think you are mistaken! The rule on page 5 forbids you to enter a room at high water comming from a room at low water! But leaving a high-water-room into a low-water-room is allowed and results in equalizing the water level to low in both rooms (rule page 13)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.