Subject: Another Primordial Ooze Question... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Oakley
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I'm at work so excuse me for not remembering exact rules quotes or card names, but last time I played Quarriors! we encountered an issue with the Primordial Ooze and I just remembered and thought I'd see if I could get it cleared up.

Now, this is not about the Strong Primordial Ooze so don't worry, this is actually a DIFFERENT question. The Ooze in question is the one which has Attack and Defense equal to the number of creatures in all ready areas. There was also another dice whose stats depended on the number of creatures in YOUR ready area, but I can't remember what it was and answering the question with regards to the Ooze should clear it up anyway. For ease of understanding, I will use Ooze and Assistant as the only creatures in examples, and we will assume we are talking about a 3-player game (we were playing 3-player at the time).

Okay so, Example 1:
(None of the 3 players have readied creatures to begin with)
Player 1 summons Assistant, Ooze, Ooze in ready area.
Player 2 summons Ooze, Ooze, attacking with 5 + 5 = 10 Attack. This value is fixed and cannot change. Player 1 puts up an Ooze for defense which dies and absorbs 5 damage. Player 2 is now attacking with 5 remaining strength. Player 1 puts up the Assistant for defense which dies and absorbs 2 damage. Player 2 is now attacking with 3 remaining strength. Question: What is the current defense of Player 1's Ooze? At the beginning of the attack phase it had a defense of 5, but now there are only 3 creatures in play, so maybe it is 3? But the attack value of Player 2's Ooze hasn't changed from when it was 5, so is it fair that Player 1's Ooze loses defense during the phase while Player 1's Ooze does not lose it's attack? What is the ruling on this?

Example 2:
Player 1 has Assistant, Assistant, Assistant in ready area.
Player 2 has Assistant, Assistant, Ooze in ready area.
It is player 3's turn and she summons an Ooze. It has an attack of 7 and destroys player 1's army completely, and prepares to attack player 2. Does it now attack player 2 with an attack of 7, as it did Player 1? Or does it attack with an attack of 4, since there are only 4 creatures in ready areas at this point? And what is the defense of Player 2's Ooze at this point? It was 7 at the beginning of the attack phase, but if we calculate it at the beginning of this specific attack, it should be 4.

These are all relevant questions as the results of them could be the difference between a successfully defended attack or the loss of creatures. Anyone else had this problem and does anyone know the correct way to deal with these situations? Any help would be greatly appreciated the next time it comes up. Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lambert
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This ooze is not covered in the official FAQ, but this is my understanding of how it works.

The strength of the ooze (attack or defense) is determined at the beginning of combat and then does not change. So in example 1, all the ooze dice will have att/def of 5 for the whole combat even when dice are destroyed.

The attack total will also stay the same for attacks against all other players. So in example 2, the attack total against player 1 was 7 and the attack total against player 2 is 7.

Since the attacker's ooze strength does not diminish, it only makes sense that the defending ooze dice will not be diminished by dice being destroyed. So player 2's ooze will stay at def 7 for player 3's attack against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakley
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That makes perfect sense but I can also see sense in the alternative ruling, which is why I came searching for clarification. Anyone else got an opinion on this matter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, agree with Aaron, it's determined at the start of combat and then doesn't change throughout all the battles. It's similar to the Deathdealer that scores during combat - its attack still carries through the rest of combat against the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our question tonight was whether or not the Mighty Ooze in question counts itself; we figured it did so that in the bare minimum if there were no other creatures anywhere it would count as a 1/1 (not that stats would be needed in a non-combat situation).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.