Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I presume you would need at least 1 of either Dixit or Dixit 2 to go with Dixit Odyssey to make it work for large numbers of players? If you only had Dixit Odyssey and played with 12 players I would presume the game would only last a couple of rounds before all of the cards ran out?

Is just 1 of the other 2 enough or would you really need both of them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pete
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not having actually played a 12-player game, the rules state the following:

"If there aren't enough image cards in the draw pile for players to refill their hand, the discarded image cards are shuffled to form a new draw pile. " So you could theoretically keep going for as long as you like!

For a Party game: each player draws 5 cards
For a Team game: each player draws 4 cards

5 x 12 = 60, and there are 84 cards in each set. If my math serves me correctly, there should be enough for at least 3 rounds without reshuffling.

With that said, the cards may get a bit boring after many plays. I find that having the other decks help to keep the game fresh and increases replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerbster76 wrote:
Is just 1 of the other 2 enough or would you really need both of them?

I don't own Odyssey, but i have played with 7 players using Dixit 1 and 2 and it worked out fine.

I also agree with the other poster that owning more cards keeps the game from getting stale.

I plan on picking up #3 (odyssey) just to add more cards to the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Dixit with twelve players long before Dixit Odyssey came out (we used 12 colored dice to vote and 12 different colored euro cubes in place of the rabbits, then we took turns putting down cards so that there were never more than six cards to vote on).

It technically works with one deck, but you're right that it gets stale quick. Generally games lasted a full deck (all 84 cards) but that was for around 9 people. With twelve, you'd probably have to reshuffle towards the end of the game.

In my games, we always played with Dixit 1 and 2 and we never lacked for cards. In fact, the newbies would always want to keep playing because they could see the second stack of cards sitting off to the side and wanted to see what the other pictures were.

If you're strapped for cash, you can probably just get Dixit Odyssey and add the other games over time. If you can afford it, though, I'd say get Dixit 2 (it costs less and you don't need to pay for all the extra stuff that comes with Dixit 1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spritecan wrote:
Not having actually played a 12-player game, the rules state the following:

"If there aren't enough image cards in the draw pile for players to refill their hand, the discarded image cards are shuffled to form a new draw pile. " So you could theoretically keep going for as long as you like!

Having only played Dixit I wasn't aware of the reshuffle rule in Dixit Odyssey. I've only played until the deck runs out. That explains how it could actually be played with 12 players. It looks like if you got Odyssey and Dixit 2 it would be a good combination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Medvick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Subject: Suggestions and rules for less or more players than 6
If you have less than 6, use one set of tiles as placement for cards so
People can associate votes easier

If less than 6, draw 1-2 blind cards and if voted on, player loses a point.

Any number, have active player vote on best one for bonus point

If more than 6, use deck of cards a-6 of each suit...
Have the dealer discard her vote(s) for worst card down to 6.

These small modifications allow for the dealer to have fun, and the players all to have more suspense oh crap I voted for the random

Also for three players, consider playing two cards each, one random, and dealer gets to toss one. Or two randoms

Enjoy.... All methods are tried and true.. Just keep in mind with dealer voting, it quickens ip game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.