Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to do an interview with Roberto about the creation of the revised edition and would like to ask him YOUR questions. So please post questions for him in this thread.

All kinds of questions are welcome, both direct ones on the "new" game play as well as questions about the process of "revising" the game play.

EDIT: The interview is now available at the interview page on my site:

http://www.warofthering.eu/interview.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ask the designer (Roberto Di Meglio) you question about the revised version of WotR
I and many other gamers, I believe, would like to know whether the miniatures will be color-coded. And any information on rules adjustments compared to the original game would be welcome either. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ask the designer (Roberto Di Meglio) you question about the revised version of WotR
Can we get a rundown of how the 2nd edition differs from the first? Both in terms of components and changes to gameplay?

I really just want to know, as an owner of the 1st edition, should I pick up this edition as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcmoore4 wrote:
Can we get a rundown of how the 2nd edition differs from the first? Both in terms of components and changes to gameplay?

Exactly what I would like to know too. In addition, will this new edition be widely available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the new game does not include the expansion, how long will the expansion take to release, with the larger size cards? The new game will be useless to those of us (almost everyone) who play the expansion game, until the full deck comes out, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will a Gollum figure be included?

Will there be an extra figure for Gandalf & Aragorn to represent their different levels?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming wear and tear wasn't an issue, which would you rather play, the new edition or the Collector's Edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
is there any change from the collectors edition, and if so, is there a way to get an update for the collectors edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Speers
United States
Liberty Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is not included in the new version, what is the outlook for Battles in the Third Age?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will an "upgrade pack" be available to those who just want the new board and cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Hall
United States
Hurricane
West Virginia
flag msg tools
What new additional elements are they planning for the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What were your design goals when considering rules changes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In an old post on BGG, Roberto indicated there were ideas about starting from Rauros (The Breaking of the Fellowship) and others have designed game starts from the Shire. Did the designers consider introducing any alternate setups or other variants for the revised edition, and did any make it in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
I am going to do an interview with Roberto about the creation of the revised edition and would like to ask him YOUR questions. So please post questions for him in this thread.

All kinds of questions are welcome, both direct ones on the "new" game play as well as questions about the process of "revising" the game play.

Audio review would be best... A podcast perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcmoore4 wrote:

I really just want to know, as an owner of the 1st edition, should I pick up this edition as well?

Particularly: Will they use the Board Artwork from the CE, directly ported over at a reduced size? If so, what will the size of the board be? Same as the original? or perhaps slightly bigger?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:

Not for me - I'd strongly prefer reading a transcript or summary here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What languages will this edition be published in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Will it be possible to play with the second edition rules using first edition components? Will there be an upgrade kit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ozimek wrote:
Will it be possible to play with the second edition rules using first edition components? Will there be an upgrade kit?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
fubar awol wrote:

Not for me - I'd strongly prefer reading a transcript or summary here.

Strongly agree. What takes 10 minutes to listen to can be digested much faster in written format, as well as more widely disseminated for something that a lot of people have questions about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Laux
United States
Sparks
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsugo wrote:
ozimek wrote:

Yes.

$45 for 110 cards and a package of sleeves?

I think that's just about an "I'm never buying another game that company puts out" level of insulting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hcuta wrote:
Tsugo wrote:
ozimek wrote:

Yes.

I think that's just about an "I'm never buying another game that company puts out" level of insulting.
And this is coupled with the fact that the original cards had teeny tiny text and originally had some errors on the cards--plus the cards that got changed with the CE rules. I don't mind paying a few extra dollars for getting updated cards, but I shouldn't be gouged to get cards that are actually correct and readable to play a game that already cost alot. JMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
hcuta wrote:
Tsugo wrote:
ozimek wrote:

Yes.

I don't know how accurate that $45 is, that's a store in Australia. Boardgames are notoriously expensive in Aus. b/c they have to import them. (Plus, we're talking Australian dollars too.) That same store lists the MSRP as a whopping $130 for the 2nd edition game:
http://www.milsims.com.au/node/121018

CSI, in the US, lists the MSRP for the 2nd edition as $90.
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_boardGame.php?viewType=view... of the Ring Second Edition

So I'm guessing you'd see the upgrade kit in the US for more like $30 MSRP and $20 online?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dave65tdh wrote:
And this is coupled with the fact that the original cards had teeny tiny text and originally had some errors on the cards--plus the cards that got changed with the CE rules. I don't mind paying a few extra dollars for getting updated cards, but I shouldn't be gouged to get cards that are actually correct and readable to play a game that already cost alot. JMHO.

Nobody's getting gouged - if it doesn't sound worthwhile, don't buy it. And nobody's selling just cards; they're selling a complete game with over 200 plastic figures and a beautiful mounted mapboard. And if you're talking about the expansion, I'm sure it will include cards, figures and two mounted boards for two additional games, just like the old one did, along with everything necessary to play the expanded campaign.

We should wait and hear what Roberto has to say before getting too excited about any of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
dave65tdh wrote:

Nobody's getting gouged - if it doesn't sound worthwhile, don't buy it. And nobody's selling just cards; they're selling a complete game with over 200 plastic figures and a beautiful mounted mapboard. And if you're talking about the expansion, I'm sure it will have two mounted boards for two additional games, just like the old one did, along with the expansion elements for the campaign.

The angry responses by people who feel entitled aren't warranted. Why not wait and here what Roberto has to say before blowing a gasket?
First, you quote me and then start talking about 200 figures et al? My post was clear that I was just talking about the upgrade set--which is essentially just cards (and wrappers and a tin box). Who's blowing a gasket? I just would like to play the games I've already bought with a complete, acrrurate set of cards that you can read. That's all I want and I don't think it's too much to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.