Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: Failing a task rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I got it, but I wanted to have a confirm from somebody else here.

If I fail a task (without a terror symbol on a die) I can try to accomplish it rolling again all dice except one and if I want, I keep another die because the focus ability.
Now, I can use these two dice to accomplish the task after the re-roll and if I fail the task again I don't have any other re-roll and the adventure is over.
Is everything correct?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can reroll again after eliminating another die until you can no longer meet the requirements of any of the tasks. So if you have 3 symbols left and only 2 dice, you would be done as you could not meet it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.
Anyway, can I focus only one die?
I didn't read the focus ability yet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Focusing allows you to "store" one result from a failed role to apply towards the result of one of the yet-to-be-completed tasks on the current adventure card; you don't need to use the stored symbol on your next roll, but once you've abandoned your attempt at that adventure the die is retrieved (along with all the dice used to complete tasks).

There is (AFAIK) no penalty for focusing (though you still have to set aside one other die as you failed the task).

If there is another player's token present on the adventure card, you can also use them to "assist" - and store a second die result after a failed roll. But there might be a penalty for this - if you fail to complete that adventure card, the assisting player also takes a hit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Neumann
United States
Whitefish Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
In life you have to do a lot of things you don't f*cking want to do. Many times, that's what the f*ck life is... one vile f*cking task after another.
Avatar
mb
Madazam wrote:
Thanks.
Anyway, can I focus only one die?
I didn't read the focus ability yet.


You can focus one die (place it on your character chit) and other investigators on the same location can assist (place a die on their chit). So, you can reserve as many dice as there are chits in that location, as long as you still have that many dice available.

EDIT: What Richard said.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also remember that you can only focus a die if you have failed the task.

You cannot, (as in my fairly easy first game) focus die for a future task if you've completed one with you last roll.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, sounds clear now.

Just to be sure, let's take this example:
1 player game, trying to complete an adventure card.
I roll my dice to complete one of the tasks on the card with a requirement of three symbols and I fail.
Anyway there are two symbols on my dice that I could use to complete this task, so I keep one die because I have to do it according to the rules, then I want to focus for the second die.
I re-roll the rest of the die and I fail again.
I want to try again and I keep another die away even if it doesn't help me to accomplish the task and re-roll.
This time I am able to accomplish the task thanks to the re-roll and the two dice that I kept away because focusing and because the rule to take a die away from the dice poll.
Now I want to try to accomplish another task and I take the all dice and roll them.
Did I get it?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, if you fail a task, in order to reroll without using a clue token, you have to take one die out of play. Meaning you don't get to reroll it and you don't get to use it on any tasks.


So let's you were trying for a task that was Skull, Scroll, Scroll.

You roll and get 1 Skull, 1 Scroll, and 4 Terrors.

You could focus the Skull, but then you would have to remove one of the other dice from play, and reroll the remaining 4 dice to try to get the 2 Scrolls you need.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
Also remember that you can only focus a die if you have failed the task.

You cannot, (as in my fairly easy first game) focus die for a future task if you're completed one with you last roll.


Thus the value of spells. They allow you to have that extra focus and it's available to all players if you don't use it on your turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
Also remember that you can only focus a die if you have failed the task.

You cannot, (as in my fairly easy first game) focus die for a future task if you're completed one with you last roll.


Wow, I've also been focusing after completing tasks as well. Thanks for the clarification (which I just opened the rules and varified.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
No, if you fail a task, in order to reroll without using a clue token, you have to take one die out of play. Meaning you don't get to reroll it and you don't get to use it on any tasks.


So let's you were trying for a task that was Skull, Scroll, Scroll.

You roll and get 1 Skull, 1 Scroll, and 4 Terrors.

You could focus the Skull, but then you would have to remove one of the other dice from play, and reroll the remaining 4 dice to try to get the 2 Scrolls you need.


Thanks. now 100% clear!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gardner
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
Bah da da da da da da... da da da da da da da... DAH dah DAH!
badge
Gabriel Knight. Check it out at GOG.Com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Madazam wrote:
Thanks, sounds clear now.

Just to be sure, let's take this example:
1 player game, trying to complete an adventure card.
I roll my dice to complete one of the tasks on the card with a requirement of three symbols and I fail.
Anyway there are two symbols on my dice that I could use to complete this task, so I keep one die because I have to do it according to the rules, then I want to focus for the second die.
I re-roll the rest of the die and I fail again.
I want to try again and I keep another die away even if it doesn't help me to accomplish the task and re-roll.
This time I am able to accomplish the task thanks to the re-roll and the two dice that I kept away because focusing and because the rule to take a die away from the dice poll.
Now I want to try to accomplish another task and I take the all dice and roll them.
Did I get it? :)


Stef,

This was our understanding when we played it last week (I'm posting it here in case I was wrong too, so someone can correct me).

Let's say you go on an adventure. It has two tasks on it:

6 Clues
Skull, Terror, Terror

I roll my six dice, and get 1-clue, 2-clue, 2-clue, Terror, Skull, Scroll. With these six dice, I can't complete either of these tasks. Because I failed, I throw one die away at this point, I'm down to five. Now I ask myself, do I want to hold onto one of these dice by focusing it? I'm allowed to do this because a) I failed to finish a task, and b) I don't already have a die focused. I choose to focus the Skull.

I now roll my four remaining dice, and get Terror, Terror, 2-clue, 3-clue. I can now complete Skull-Terror-Terror with my two new Terror dice, and the focused Skull. I cannot now focus my 3-clue, because I have successfully completed a task. I also don't have to throw out a die, because I successfully finished a task. I now have two dice remaining.

I roll these two, and get Scroll, 2-clue. Because I failed to finish the remaining task, I would throw a die out. I could now roll my one remaining die, but I know it's futile (I can't get six clues on one die roll). I have failed the adventure, I pick up all my dice, suffer the penalty, and finish my turn.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Josh,

yeah, I got confused because the die you need to take out from your dice pool is not available. I was thinking about Yahtzee
Then these dice are not available for the following tasks either.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron lynch
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Joshua's example was perfect. Just remember if you fail to complete a task at a location and it has a terror effect and you rolled a terror on a dice to do the effect.
Some locations tell you to remove all terror dice.
This would be in addition to the dice you would lose for failing the roll.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Neumannium wrote:
Madazam wrote:
Thanks.
Anyway, can I focus only one die?
I didn't read the focus ability yet.


You can focus one die (place it on your character chit) and other investigators on the same location can assist (place a die on their chit). So, you can reserve as many dice as there are chits in that location, as long as you still have that many dice available.

EDIT: What Richard said.


The catch to this is, you can only focus OR assist one die per turn (pg10, Focusing and Assisting). Not to mention having an investigator assist puts him at risk of losing 1 sanity or stamina if we fail the adventure, which is pretty likely if you're in a position to consider assisting...

If I do assist that means I've failed at least twice, am down 2 dice as penalties, 2 are reserved on my investigators... and I've got 1-4 dice left to roll, depending on whether I did manage to complete a task and use some dice there, have some other dice on a spell, and/or used the yellow or red dice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daverman wrote:
Neumannium wrote:
Madazam wrote:
Thanks.
Anyway, can I focus only one die?
I didn't read the focus ability yet.


You can focus one die (place it on your character chit) and other investigators on the same location can assist (place a die on their chit). So, you can reserve as many dice as there are chits in that location, as long as you still have that many dice available.

EDIT: What Richard said.


The catch to this is, you can only focus OR assist one die per turn (pg10, Focusing and Assisting). Not to mention having an investigator assist puts him at risk of losing 1 sanity or stamina if we fail the adventure, which is pretty likely if you're in a position to consider assisting...

If I do assist that means I've failed at least twice, am down 2 dice as penalties, 2 are reserved on my investigators... and I've got 1-4 dice left to roll, depending on whether I did manage to complete a task and use some dice there, have some other dice on a spell, and/or used the yellow or red dice.


Wait, the manual says per roll. This means if I roll and using assist, then I am going to roll again, I can use focus.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gardner
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
Bah da da da da da da... da da da da da da da... DAH dah DAH!
badge
Gabriel Knight. Check it out at GOG.Com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Madazam wrote:
Daverman wrote:
Neumannium wrote:
Madazam wrote:
Thanks.
Anyway, can I focus only one die?
I didn't read the focus ability yet.


You can focus one die (place it on your character chit) and other investigators on the same location can assist (place a die on their chit). So, you can reserve as many dice as there are chits in that location, as long as you still have that many dice available.

EDIT: What Richard said.


The catch to this is, you can only focus OR assist one die per turn (pg10, Focusing and Assisting). Not to mention having an investigator assist puts him at risk of losing 1 sanity or stamina if we fail the adventure, which is pretty likely if you're in a position to consider assisting...

If I do assist that means I've failed at least twice, am down 2 dice as penalties, 2 are reserved on my investigators... and I've got 1-4 dice left to roll, depending on whether I did manage to complete a task and use some dice there, have some other dice on a spell, and/or used the yellow or red dice.


Wait, the manual says per roll. This means if I roll and using assist, then I am going to roll again, I can use focus.


It means Roll 1 fails, I'm going to hold one die on a partner with 'assist'. Roll 2 fails, I'm going to hold one die on me with 'focus'. I can't have Roll 1 fails, I'm holding two dice, one with focus and one with assist.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Yes, sorry... when I said the rules say you can focus OR assist once per turn I meant once per failed task attempt.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played exactly one game, so I'm no expert, but it was for those reasons we found ourselves focusing quite a lot (there's no reason NOT to) whenever we failed a task, but I don't think we *ever* assisted (as by the time you can assist we'd already be staring defeat by that adventure in the face).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, as I mentioned above I think it's unlikely assisting would ever be useful as it stands now. Perhaps if you could focus and assist in the same turn... but I don't think the game needs to be made any simpler.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.