Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike B
United States
Morristown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep my collection down in the basement on some Ikea bookcases. With hurricane Irene, my basement flooded (due to the loss of electricity) but I made sure to bring the collection upstairs (along with everything else) the night before. I am fixing the basement now and should not have this issue again (putting in water powered back-up sump pumps - very exciting), so my games will be heading back downstairs. I do have some games that I will not be playing but holding on to for collection/nostalgia/board game hoarding/etc and I was thinking of putting them up in the attic. I was just wondering what other people do with their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure wherever you place the games is cool and dry. If it gets hot or humid in the attic it could damage the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could store them in MY basement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I see you are in New Jersey. My SO lives there and would be more than happy to store your games for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As your next door neighbor, be reminded that it gets very humid in attics around these parts. whistle

Mine are stored in the living areas of the house and I have a dedicated game room for many of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest storing them inside a structure of some sorts. I've found storing them out doors decreases their value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean Hurricane Irene, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prakash Madhav
United States
Maineville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of ours are in an armoire on the main floor. This does two things: gives a finite amount of space to keep games (so we don't go nuts with our collection) and the doors on the armoire keeps things hidden and clutter-free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert martin
United States
Douglassville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Mike , fixing the sump pump problem should make storing you games in the basement ok. That's where mine are. My basement stays at about the same tempature all year round. Attics are a bad place to store them because of the heat up there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Safety deposit box at the bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basement shelves here but I have a dry basement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
United States
Morristown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Katrina.. Irene.. corrected.. posted before my morning coffee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralCrunch wrote:
I would suggest storing them inside a structure of some sorts. I've found storing them out doors decreases their value.

Is this true? My game library is fairly small, so I just keep all of them in my car since I pretty much only play outside of my home.

I don't live in a particularly humid place, but I'm just wondering what other factors would make it so I shouldn't just leave them in my car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
United States
Morristown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the posts.. the attic is out. I also will make sure I store them inside and if I run out of room, will store them in other BGG member's basements If I store them in a safety deposit box, I will have to embed the number and location under my skin so if I lose my memory I can recover them.. kind of like Jason Bourne except I wouldn't have people chasing me for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clone288 wrote:
kind of like Jason Bourne except I wouldn't have people chasing me for them.

Now that you've given yourself away I think it would be wise to start training in mixed martial arts, as well as misdirection and evasion. You should probably learn at least two foreign languages as well.

Really, it's for your own survival.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meredith Martini
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On at least one slightly serious note, keep games out of direct sunlight. Wouldn't want the pretty pictures disappearing or changing colors whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wadenels wrote:
clone288 wrote:
kind of like Jason Bourne except I wouldn't have people chasing me for them.

Now that you've given yourself away I think it would be wise to start training in mixed martial arts, as well as misdirection and evasion. You should probably learn at least two foreign languages as well.

Really, it's for your own survival.

And if they are out of print, run for your life. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Elder
msg tools
badge
If you have a dehumidifier set that running in a small and/or poorly ventilated room at a comfortable temperature, 15 - 25 deg C, so that it can take the atmospheric water down to a relatively low level like 30 - 55% at that temp. Leave the paper based components set out for at least two days for coated paper, but longer with card, to help condition them then pack them. Store the paper at the same temperature. You can also do all this then pack them in a light proof, airtight box with a desiccating agent to help mitigate humidity fluctuations as well as avoiding damage from spills and leaks and atmospheric pollutants. Don't store them in cardboard boxes as acid from those boxes will leech into the game boxes over time.

Bear in mind that everything but archival quality paper is going to deteriorate over a period of decades. Acid from the manufacturing process as well as your fingers is going to dissolve the cellulose, the paper will fox, the glue will decay. Even archival quality paper is only likely to last a few centuries at best.

As for the guy who's leaving them in his car, you don't have to live in a particularly humid place as:
temperature variance
humidity variance
are the two key factors leading to paper degradation. Cycling of these is known to damage paper.
Then physical damage from someone putting something on them that shouldn't go on them and exposure to acid forming agents in vehicle exhausts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
β€œIt's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm lucky to have a dry basement and an understanding wife meeple
-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.