Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Robert
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the near future I'll be paying a visit to my FLGS again. It has been a while since I've bought a game, what with becoming a father and moving to a new home and all... I'm really in the mood for buying a game to add to the collection, but I'm going to take my sweet time for making a decision. Part of that sweet time will be filled by reading about all the wonderful games you can recommend by having a look at my collection and top 10 games... if you please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that you want at least a decent amount of theme--no abstracts or thinly pasted-on themes (as in Lost Cities), although you gave Dominion a 7. You are not afraid of some weight (Puerto Rico), but you can enjoy a lighter game too (Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age). You don't like too much luck (Lost Cities again), but are ok with some chaos (Cosmic Encounter).

How many players do you want this new game to support? Would you prefer something longer/heavier, or shorter/lighter? Are there any particular mechanics (dice, auctions, etc) or themes that you are draw toward or that you would prefer to avoid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Robert
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your analysis of my preferences is spot on. I am indeed a sucker for (any kind of) theme, but love an elegant system of interlocking mechanisms as well ( e.g. Navegador or Puerto Rico ). Weight is not an issue, but ideally, it plays with 2 to 4 players. I don't like auction games that much and like dice rolls as a form of resource ( e.g. Kingsburg or Alien Frontiers ), though that itch may already have been provided for in my collection. I have played Troyes, but found the theme a bit too dry. I also love worker placement, but I'm very open to something new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend the following three games:

1. Ninjato: Since you like thematic games and euros, then a euro that wears its theme better than some might be a good fit. Ninjato is a euro game about running a ninja clan. Some of the scoring mechanics feel similar to Stone Age, so you will already have some similarity with the game.

2. Nightfall: Based on your enjoyment of Vampire, fury of Dracula, and Chaos in the Old World then I think you will like the theme of this game. Since you liked Dominion, but also seem to like games with conflict then this could be a good fit for a deck building game for you.

3. Summoner Wars: Master Set: I think this would be a really good fit, especially if you are looking for a game that is more two player centric.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Robert
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh, I love ninjas ninja Checking out Ninjato for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked into Cyclades? I think it might fit well in your collection and what you are looking for. Lots of theme, direct conflict, area control, tactics, some resource management, some cool miniatures, and not too long. It also scales well between 2 -5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Robert
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gecko1919 wrote:
Have you looked into Cyclades? I think it might fit well in your collection and what you are looking for. Lots of theme, direct conflict, area control, tactics, some resource management, some cool miniatures, and not too long. It also scales well between 2 -5 players.

Absolutely. I find cyclades a fantastic game and it's on my wish list. I didn't want to mention any games on my list, though, in order to keep an open mind. Would give you more than one thumb if I was able to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Ziemba
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing Descent at the top of your list and reading that you really like worker placement, Euros, and interlocking mechanisms - I would recommend Dungeon Lords.

Also, a bit more of a stretch based on your top 10 is Agricola. Some argue whether the theme is accurate or not but it is an excellent worker placement game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Cyclades, it was the first thing that popped to my mind when I saw your top 10 particularly because it feels a bit like Chaos in the Old World because they're both Euro-Ameritrash-crossovers, embracing the thematic depth of AT and the elegant rules of Euros. A pity somebody else already pitched it

Something else you might like is Merchants & Marauders. Drips with theme, has reasonable depth, plays very well with two and shines with four, and plays very differently depending on whether you lead a life of commerce or one of piracy.

I can't help myself, I just have to mention Space Empires: 4X. It's my current craze - and I'm a person who really likes ameritrash goodness with tons of plastic miniatures. Streamlined elegance in perfection, the rise and fall of galactic empires - you just have to get over the fact that it's merely cardboard counters (and the game's fog of war actually wouldn't work at all with anything else). A game that works perfectly fine with all numbers (including 1 and 3) if you have 1-4 players.

Edit: Wait what, Agricola has a theme? Re: Dungeon Lords, be aware that this game's theme is less ... permeating? ... than in others of Vlaada Chvátil's designs. It's a great game indeed though, definitely worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Robert
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added to M&M the list of games to be considered. I can't stand cardboard counters for units, though, so Space Empires is out of the running yuk. I've played Dungeon Lords already and while the theme is fantastic, the rules feel a bit cobbled and mashed together. Also, I find it hard to bring about a good strategy in this game. Thanks for the suggestions, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They aren't the new hotness, and my tastes are quite different from yours, but these might be worth a look, at least:
Bombay - Cute elephants, quick playing, medium-light. Ok with 2, better with more. (Edit: I really like it with 3-5)
Thebes - Excellent fit between mechanics and theme, and the time track mechanic is one of my favorites. I like it best with 2, but it's good up to 4.
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game - Was too ameritrashy for me, but I like that it can be solo, competitive, or co-op.
Lords of Vegas - If you're not diced out, this one uses dice to fit the Vegas theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery (aka Age of Empires III)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Deitrick
United States
Beaux Arts
Washington
flag msg tools
So Many Badges So Few Badge Slots
badge
Melee Combat is the Best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not see any games that fall into what I call "Make do with what you have" category. I really like the finding the path aspect of these games. Look at:

Blue Moon City lightest weight, lightest theme, highest chaos, good for 2-4

Thurn and Taxis medium weight, good for 2-4

Age of Industry heavier weight (not heavy though), good for 3-5. Some will argue Brass: Lancashire is better, but I think AoI is more streamlined, also expansion maps are coming out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohanCarstensen wrote:
You might want to take a look at Space Station:http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/108377/space-station

Is this one available at Essen?

Are there rules to check it out - from the description this game could be as simple as Mille Bornes or as great as Race for the Galaxy.

Any images? Anything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are a really big fan of Chaos in the Old World, do yourself a favor and investigate the expansion The Horned Rat.

A new fifth god to choose from (allowing for 5 players, as well) and a new optional set of chaos and upgrade cards for the old gods opening up for all new strategies. Plus a handful of new and more powerful old world cards for spicing up the game further.

Some of the best money I spent this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throwing theme on the fire a bit and going to the neat interlocking systems idea, try Macao

It's a game about shipping goods and trading, but the way you recieve/manage your resources and actions is unique as far as I know and works VERY well, it gives you a lot of choices you won't find in other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.