Subject: dungeon run vs. claustrophobia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i am surprised that with 7 pgs of posts in the forum, no one even mentioned the word - claustrophobia.

my issue is this - the game looks very interesting, but it appears to have too many similarities w/ claustrophobia to have both in one's limited collection (mine). they are both light weight, easily accessible dungeon crawls with similar mechanics and feel.

is it only me? please correct me if i am wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have looked at Claustrophobia and have Dungeon Run on pre-order. While there are some similarities (both being dungeon crawls), I think from looking at them they look very different. However, I am also curious to here what someone has to say with more experience with both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
one is a 2 player game while the other is from 1 to 6 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia is a tight, asymmetrical, well-balanced, strictly 2-player game where one person controls all the characters, the other the "opponent". There is no experience and character leveling in the game, you have to do with what you have. At its core, it's a resource management game.

The other accommodates up to 6 people, with role-playing game aspects, cooperation and backstabbing, more focused on social aspects, where each person has a character (a lot more detailed as a result) and people are taking turns controlling the "opponent" until the last part of the game. The focus here isn't on beating the boss, it's on staying in better shape than the other players, and getting stronger (XP) in a purely individualistic way.

Besides the dungeon crawling theme, and the tile laying, the two games don't seem to have much in common, and the mechanics seem especially different.

I think it's just you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games feel very different to me. They are both dungeon crawls. The closest comparison I can think of to Dungeon Run is Castle Ravenloft, but way cooler.

Claustrophobia:
2 player only (with the exception of one online scenario)
1 player essentially is the dungeon master AKA good guy vs bad guy
Streamlined and minimalized rules
Minimal tile variety
GORGEOUS prepainted minis and tiles
Minimal amount of monsters
Innovative dice allocation/hero stat concepts
Scenario driven game

Dungeon Run:
2-6 1-6 players EDIT: didn't realize this was able to play solo!
no DM, heroes vs heroes with some innovative cooperative concepts
Large amounts of thematic interaction (loot, traps, leveling up, screwing over or cooperating with your fellow players) which requires a deeper rule set.
heavy tile variety
non painted minis, decent tiles
Large amount of monsters
Innovative dice battle concepts
Tile driven game (one basic scenario)

In short, Claustrophobia is a good guy vs bad guy strategy game in a dungeon crawl-esque environment while Dungeon Run is, for all intents and purposes, a board game version of a Dungeon Crawl with no DM.

Both are heavily dependent on luck, but in different ways. Claustrophobia can feel more crippling if the dice are against you (in battle particularly), while Dungeon Run still feels like you can work with bad dice rolls.

I love Claustrophobia and thoroughly enjoyed my demo game of Dungeon Run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.