Subject: Future Faction Pack Ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Faction Packs are boosters to the Factions Expansion. Each pack contains one action board and any extra bits needed for that faction, one new Alien Tech card, and at least two new Agenda cards

Let's use this thread to discuss ideas for future Faction Packs.

Please feel free to propose your own Action Pack ideas. If we use your idea you will be give co-designer credit on the box and rules and will be involved in the play testing and design process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brethren of the Stars
In another thread, a poster was looking for a system of wandering ships to block docks as a means to tighten up a two player game of Factions. Here is the beginning of a faction inspired by the comment. It does not really solve the posters problem, but inspiration is not an exact science. I still need to add the Alien Tech and the Agendas.

Brethren of the Stars is a pirate crew known for hijacking ships and using them for nefarious purposes. Their schemes often cause disruptions at the various facilities in orbit around Planet Maxwell. In their spare time they have been known to smuggle valuable tridium ore.
Owner Benefit: The faction owner has control of one blank black die. On their turn they may use the black die to replace any ship on the board, then roll and use that ship as if it were their own (terraforming station excluded). The rolled ship is reclaimed by it's player on their turn but the black ship stays on the board until the faction owner's next turn.
Facility Benefit: Dock a ship and pay the faction owner one fuel. Move the black ship to an empty dock at the Lunar Mine and receive 1 ore.

Notes: The black ship is not affected by the Orbital Teleporter, or Mind Control Helmet. Any event that would send the black ship to the Maintenance Bay returns it to the faction owner instead.

Alien Tech: ----

Agenda 1: ----

Agenda 2: ----

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of crowding up the board for 2 player. In fact in a 2 player game, I think the 5th player dice could be used to block up more of the Solar harvester than the single slot that seems irrelevant today (unless the intent is to never have that facility be full). The black die could be a good way to do so, and one slot in a 2 player game is indeed more relevant than in games with more players. that said, would this be impactful when it WAS a 4+ player game with just one die? It doesn't free up the facility for your use as the mind control cards do, but it DOES lock down that facility for the player on the NEXT turn, while giving you +1 dice the whole game. the +1 die alone seems powerful, maybe a bigger boon than the "crowding" aspect of the black die. interesting...

One thing Id like to see in factions is a way to plop down field generators earlier and more often. Since the base game only brings them in via discard powers, I find that folsk hoard their alien tech for the every turn powers until the last possible moment of endgame, and then a flurry of discard powers happen, with field generators flying around...id like to see a faction that can bring fields into play easily, and some alien tech that can drop them into play without using a discard power somehow, or atleast move them easier. Maybe one of the factions is already built along these lines...

I kickstarted and look forward to the expansion. digging the faction previews...but a request: can you explain what the symbols mean in the update posts? the backstory is cool and i can often tell what the powers do sortof...but they arent all obvious. plain english descriptions of how the fctions work like in your op here in those updates would be appreciated

i need to wrap my head around what factions will already be released to have a good sense of what a faction booster should contain...what aspects of gameplay arent already augmented by the existing factions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I did some cards that have the current Faction rules on them. I'll be posting them eventually after the manual is finalized.

Promima Centari Scholars has the power you are describing. In one of my playtest sessions someone had it and it really made a huge difference. I've also noticed that generators are usually way underused in base game play. With this faction they were all over the place!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
flamejuggler wrote:
can you explain what the symbols mean in the update posts? the backstory is cool and i can often tell what the powers do sort of...but they aren't all obvious. plain english descriptions of how the factions work like in your op here in those updates would be appreciated

That's a good idea...I'll update the current posts and add it to any new posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Eglinton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I'll bite.

Having taken a quick look through the factions available, I was wondering what aspects of the game don't have factions assigned to them yet, and there seems to be one obvious omission - agendas.

So here's my idea:

The Illuminati (obviously working title to give you the sense of what I'm aiming for)

Owner Benefit:
You may hold a fourth agenda. (This in itself may be a little powerful, possibly they can hold an extra one, but can still only score three - that doesn't give them a straight up VP advantage, but does allow more choice of what objectives to go for. Of course, it might just turn out that having one extra VP available is balanced against the other owner benefits - I'm no game balance guru!)

Edit: I just re-read the new techs and discovered there's a card that gives you a four-agenda limit. Given that, I'd reword it to "You may hold an extra agenda", and I'd posture that maybe it's not as overpowered as I thought?

Facility benefit: Dock a ship here and pay one fuel to the owner to draw one additional agenda card. (Requires less dice to the Orbital Market, but nets less of a bonus, too)

Designing agenda cards for faction packs is tricky, by the way - I haven't been able to find a list of the currently available agendas!

I've got an idea for another, but I want to think on it a bit more first.

Alien Tech-wise..

How about this?

NanoRecycler
Pay one ore to receive (three?) fuel?

Discard to remove one colony from the board, and pay its owner (two ore, two fuel?) from the stocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nick...thanks for the suggestions.

The NanoRecycler's discard power is very close to a card we almost released.

The Atomic Disintegrator only had a one use (discard and remove from game) power...remove a colony from the board and give its owner 1 fuel and 1 ore from the stocks. We had the stipulation that the target player had to have more colonies on the planet than you did.

In the end, it seemed like a game killer as players became afraid to put down colonies and waste the time and energy just to be disintegrated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Eglinton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a fair stipulation there - keeps it from kingmaking.

I would have thought that if the other player is getting a good reward for being asploded it's not too bad - but I'm assuming you're basing that on playtesting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleš Smrdel
Slovenia
Domžale
Osrednjeslovenska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the pirate theme. Have some ideas for alien tech and agendas.

CleverMojo wrote:
In another thread, a poster was looking for a system of wandering ships to block docks as a means to tighten up a two player game of Factions. Here is the beginning of a faction inspired by the comment. It does not really solve the posters problem, but inspiration is not an exact science. I still need to add the Alien Tech and the Agendas.

Brethren of the Stars is a pirate crew known for hijacking ships and using them for nefarious purposes. Their schemes often cause disruptions at the various facilities in orbit around Planet Maxwell. In their spare time they have been known to smuggle valuable tridium ore.
Owner Benefit: The faction owner has control of one blank black die. On their turn they may use the black die to replace any ship on the board, then roll and use that ship as if it were their own (terraforming station excluded). The rolled ship is reclaimed by it's player on their turn but the black ship stays on the board until the faction owner's next turn.
Facility Benefit: Dock a ship and pay the faction owner one fuel. Move the black ship to an empty dock at the Lunar Mine and receive 1 ore.

Notes: The black ship is not affected by the Orbital Teleporter, or Mind Control Helmet. Any event that would send the black ship to the Maintenance Bay returns it to the faction owner instead.

Alien Tech: ----

Agenda 1: ----

Agenda 2: ----

What do you think?

Alien Tech: Temporal Teleporter
- Turn Benefit: Pay 4 fuel to re-roll and reuse one of your placed ships. If you roll:
- 1 or 3 receive 1 fuel and re-roll again to reuse the ship
- 2 or 5 immediately place the ship to the Maintenance Bay
- 4 or 6 re-roll again to reuse the ship
Discard this card after it was used.

Agenda 1: Tridium Kingpin
- In-Game achievement: Gain 6 ore in one game turn
- End-Game configuration: Have 8 ore at the end of the game in your resource pile

Agenda 2: Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life ...)
- In-Game achievement: Use Raiders Outpost sequentially 2 turns in one game
- End-Game configuration: Keep track of how much resources you gained through Raiders Outpost. If you gained more than 20 ore than you are a real pirate!

Temporal Teleporter would allow a player to gain one additional ship for one turn.

Tridium Kingpin - from my calculations it would be viable to gain 6 ore in one turn, specially now when factions will be added to the game. Not easy but doable. 8 ore at the end of game could be a strategic goal for the player.

Yo Ho - Sequentially getting die rolls to use Raiders Outpost for 2 turns in a row specially when you have more than 5 die is not a problem for my group. It could be that we are lucky rollers . Could be higher if play-test reveals that this value is 2 low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Eglinton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still thinking about my NanoRecycler idea - I like the idea of turning ore into fuel - sure, ore is harder to get and fuel is cheap, but sometimes you have all the ore, and this gets fuel without spending a dice. Just needs a different discard power.. *thinks*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:

Promima Centari Scholars has the power you are describing. In one of my playtest sessions someone had it and it really made a huge difference. I've also noticed that generators are usually way underused in base game play. With this faction they were all over the place!

Just saw the Kickstarter update with this faction. I must say that paying 1 fuel and ANY die to move a field is VERY cheap and easy, especially since this was a discard power and limited before. If anyone can just pay a die and fuel to move a repulsion field...its not much real protection now is it? Glad to see this faction, but worried the pendulum swung too far perhaps. WIll the owner want to put down fields if others can so simply move them (and not sure the 1 fuel the owner gets compensates since you paid 2 to get it down...). i can see the positron field bouncing around like mad in the final few turns of the game...maybe the scholars should be REMOVING them often...hmmm.

some factions definitely seem swingier and more exciting than others. cant wait to play it and see for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brethren of the Stars
CleverMojo wrote:

What do you think?

I think it is too powerful.

Brethren is given a 4th ship on turn 1 (unless he is 1st player) while everyone else does the usual turn-1 shipyard rush and has to work for it. If I was Scavenger Fleet and have to work at the shipyard to get my 4th ship turn-1 immediate roll while these guys get it for free, I would be irked (and, BTW, Brethren gets Scavenger's power without having to build a ship)! Also, as Brethren I will never go below 4 ships in my fleet. For those of you who have experienced the "3-ship grind" in your game plans, you see that this is too much of an advantage in the colony race.

As for the facility: For the most part as Brethren I will use it every turn to get 1 ore so others cannot use it (unless the mine is full). Having the Van Vogt bonus and the above almost guarantees me a win. And the Orbital Market just went down by 200 points (another reason not to go there).

It is just too much of a good start that the other players will be playing catch-up from the beginning.

I have written a hairy-long strategy article about the Factions. However, I don't plan on posting it until the expansion is actually released. That way others can have the same first-time enjoyment and see how it all works together. It is difficult to be whistle and easy to forget that the expansion is still 6 months till release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mainstream
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
RRunner wrote:
Love the pirate theme.
I like the game a lot and a pirate setting as well, that's why I do a Pirates of the Caribbean re-theme

CleverMojo wrote:
Brethren of the Stars is a pirate crew known for hijacking ships and using them for nefarious purposes
Maybe you also got some litte inspiration from my thread? Pirates, Brethren Court, Black Pearl... anyone?

Spittledung wrote:
I think it is too powerful.
I agree, but can't support any good suggestions right now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it could be that your re-theme made me think in that direction. The mind works in mysterious ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mainstream
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I somehow feel honored! cool

But I'm a realist. A Smuggler/Pirates Faction isn't far-fetched... sooner or later pirates had to occur

I'm curious how the game will develope and expand in the future!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is already one pirate themed faction in the expansion: Smuggler's Alliance.

It lets the owner bump ships at the raiders outpost with any value run, instead of requiring a higher value run...and it lets a player using the raiders outpost steal four resources AND one alien tech card instead of either/or.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RRunner wrote:

Tridium Kingpin - from my calculations it would be viable to gain 6 ore in one turn, specially now when factions will be added to the game. Not easy but doable.

It's not that hard, all you need is a pair of ones (for the Orbital Market) and sufficient 3, 4, 5 & 6s to get the fuel. it's even easier if you have the "Heinlein Planes" territory bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Olund
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
What about some sort of Religious Cult as a new Faction?

It would be interesting to see something with powers that scales up/down based on the number of fuel/ore tokens you have or number of colonies you have placed on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ieatthem wrote:
It would be interesting to see something with powers that scales up/down based on the number of fuel/ore tokens you have or number of colonies you have placed on the board.

that's an interesting idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
ieatthem wrote:

That’s an interesting idea.

Yes it is. It could be religious or a "less offensive" political movement with its power based on the number of people behind it (ie colonies).

OR an OPEC type group where the more territories they control the more influence they have on the solar collectors (ie. energy). It costs more for others, but the same for them.

It would force the other players to place colonies into territories they control to remove their power over the solar collectors…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleš Smrdel
Slovenia
Domžale
Osrednjeslovenska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
RRunner wrote:

Tridium Kingpin - from my calculations it would be viable to gain 6 ore in one turn, specially now when factions will be added to the game. Not easy but doable.

It's not that hard, all you need is a pair of ones (for the Orbital Market) and sufficient 3, 4, 5 & 6s to get the fuel. it's even easier if you have the "Heinlein Planes" territory bonus.

Agree. If you have more than 3 die or some stacked energy resources and roll a pair of ones and use Orbital Market you can simply gain 6 resources in one turn. Even some Alien Technology cards could help you for example Resource Cache.

With more than 3 dice you could also use combination of Lunar Mine, Raiders Outpost or Orbital Market depending on the die roll.

Simply you have a lot of possibilities to get the achievement and it is not achievable on the first die roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleš Smrdel
Slovenia
Domžale
Osrednjeslovenska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This just hit me

What about having a faction that will behave like "mischief space jokers". devil

Not that the game needs to be more fun.

The factions ability could add more chaos or unpredictability to the game. For example switch the complete resource stock between two players, or switch the alien tech card between two players. For the sake of fair play the players that will be targeted should be decided in a random pattern - die roll or randomly selecting tokens from token pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Eglinton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite liking the joker-type idea. Maybe they could come with a (interestingly-coloured) die, and a reference card with 6 things on it. Faction ability lets them roll the die and do something based on the roll? Maybe Owner lets you either pick, or alter the roll somehow. Could be switching stocks, exchanging an alien tech at random, that kinda thing, as RRunner suggests.

Still like my idea of a faction related to Agendas, any thoughts on that?

Another area of the board that the Factions haven't infiltrated yet is the Colony Constructor. Perhaps we could have a faction that lets you use that better? I suggested mostly as a joke the idea of a Sunrise City crossover faction over on the kickstarter pages, but hey, maybe this could actually come into use here. Perhaps they could use it at a cheaper cost if they're putting extra colonies in the same location (to represent forming larger colonies, 'expanding the city').

/brainstorm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...that might be doable, Nick.

Sunrise Commune
Fleeing persecution on Earth, the "Sunnies" came to Maxwell in hopes of finding a place where the teaming masses of humanity would just leave them alone.

OWNER: Pay one less ore than usual for any colony you land on a territory where you already have at least one colony.

FACILITY: Pay 3 fuel to move one of your colonies to a territory with no other colonies on it.

ALIEN TECH: Ion Fluctuator
This disturbing device creates randomly alternating waves of positive and negative ions so that colonists feel subliminally unbalanced and ill at ease. The only solution is to leave. -- Pay 3 fuel to move an opponent's colony out of a territory in which you have a colony and into an adjacent territory -- or -- Discard to move all opponent colonies out of a territory in which you have a colony and into an adjacent territory.

AGENDA:
In Game -- Get all three field generators onto one territory where you have a colony.
Endgame -- Have three or more colonies on Lem Badlands.

AGENDA:
In Game -- Land two colonies on the same territory on the same turn.
Endgame -- Control any territory with three or more colonies and no opponent colonies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Eglinton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it! Lets you colonise cheaper at a potential cost to VP (as you likely already own the area) and then lets you redistribute around again later.

I'm helping!

It would have to have suitable Sunrisey 20's art, I think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.