Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this for the first time last night (finally!), and I thought it was pretty interesting. I set up scenario six as I figured a target-rich environment with four nightfighters would result in some decent shot changes. We ended up with one Lancaster down and another with 3 points of damange on it. The movement restrictions, poor visibility and deconfliction rules stymied the German efforts. I think it might have been a bit frustrating for the German player. I did forget to upgrade my Lancs with Monica or Boozer, the poor fellows.

Anyway, a couple questions came up.

First, how do you determine the availability of the radar upgrades? Do you just decide on a scenario date and go from there? I decided it was Sept. 43 to give the Me-100 the upgrade, but the rules say "if half or more of the nightfighters are equipped with SN-2". Is that in case you make the scenario happen later in the war?

Second, if a bomber does defensive fire, does the nightfighter get any bonus for tallying (similar to a bomber getting a better chance of being alterted when it is attacked)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you wish you could fly your nightfighters four abreast to coordinate their radar searches? I did, but that's not how the Germans did it. I'm still trying to figure out the best way for Tame Boars to search. Do you fly the same course as the bomber stream, shifting one hex every turn? Or do you weave through the bomber stream at an angle, hoping a bomber will cross your radar beam?

mummykitty wrote:
Second, if a bomber does defensive fire, does the nightfighter get any bonus for tallying (similar to a bomber getting a better chance of being alterted when it is attacked)?

No. I imagine a nightfighter pilot would take immediate evasive action if he saw tracers coming at his face whether or not he had a tally on the bomber.

Approaching a bomber must have been a nerve-wracking experience. Will it or won't it shoot at you before you can shoot at it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Bryan would have coordinated his planes a bit better if he had realized the effects of the deconfliction in practics. He did generally weave back and forth through the bomber stream, but that resulted in the German planes ending up too near to each other at times. Without deconfliction, the plane with the good radar could find targets and then the ones with the bad radar would take them on.

As for the getting shot at-- well, the bombers don't necessarily evade if they are being shot at, but they do get alterted. But yeah, I know if someone was shooting at me I would evade...

One other thing I found-- it would have been nice if the Axis and Allied planes counters were different colors...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wedge
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With bombers on one map and fighters on the other I never found the same background colour to be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the player's map isn't an issue. But in scenario six where there are about 30 bombers plus 4 nightfighters on the referee's map, they do blend together at times. My eyesight isn't what it used to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and different colors for the Axis and Allies would make it a bit easier to find the counters in the mix.

This isn't a game breaker, just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
mummykitty wrote:
Yeah, the player's map isn't an issue. But in scenario six where there are about 30 bombers plus 4 nightfighters on the referee's map, they do blend together at times. My eyesight isn't what it used to be. :p

A true test of a night fighter is the ability to trust his instinct...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wedge
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find storing them in separate zip lock bags solves that problem. I keep different Allied bombers separate as well, otherwise it'd take forever picking out Lancasters from the Stirlings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yah, but what do you do with the ones that have Allied craft on one side, and Axis on the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.