Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Enoch
United States
Vadnais Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just picked up Twilight Imperium, and while I'm awed by the size of the box, the scope of the game, and the positive reception...I'm also worried about trying to play this thing.

I downloaded the official FFG FAQ & Errata and those fifteen pages are impressive and worrisome at the same time (I know it includes info for the expansions as well).

So what I'm wondering, is what are the best guides and files available here that will assist us in playing for the first time.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've posted in a similar thread some time ago:

haslo wrote:
Looks to me like you didn't have enough cheat sheets

The one I regularly use for play order is this one: ti3_order-of-play_v2.pdf. It shows the sub-steps for all common actions, too. I always grab this one for the status phase, makes it just fly by.

Tech trees, there's plenty. I use Tech Tree, with SotT, by color and techtree TI3.pdf.

Have a look at this Combat Board for TI3 + SE + ST. We don't need it because we have me knowing all the combat values and possible techs by heart, but I think it's handy for those who don't

What you really should have printed out as well (and/or ready in electronical form) is the FAQ from the FFG support page by the way. You probably have, but you didn't mention it

Something else I've crafted are these leader reference cards, the players really like them:

Of course knowing the rules and the rulebook well helps more than anything else. I regularly find myself refreshing rules before I play a particular game, most definitely when it's as complex as TI3. I'm not sure a rules question database of any kind will be better than the notebook at hand in any way, too, because everybody has different questions at different times and it'll probably be impossible to guess just what the searcher was looking for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Enoch
United States
Vadnais Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a ton! Now the question is should I buy the expansion before playing the first time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnytheSkin wrote:
Thanks a ton! Now the question is should I buy the expansion before playing the first time...

You certainly can consider that. It's not really necessary, though I heartily recommend it: The alternative strategy cards in particular improve the game's flow quite a lot. The first expansion's other additions are cool, but much less necessary.

I wouldn't play without the alternative strategy cards any more. But for the first game, I'd recommend playing without any of the other additions from the expansion anyway, and there's those who say that you should play with the original strategy cards at least once. So it's really up to you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made this one, which (tooting my own horn a bit) I think is pretty good. I need to post up a version with a couple typo fixes.

For tech, this is my favorite. And I like the above rundown for Leaders as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Washington Irving
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience the game is very sturdy mechanically, so that as long as you are consistent and thematic a few rules mistakes will not ruin the game. I've played nine times and I doubt any of those runs were free of rules errors.

The errata are long and cover situations that are rare but will come up, or situations where someone will try to bend an ambiguous rule for benefit. The errata is great as a reference, but you don't need it memorized when you sit down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you have a more recent printing of the base game the errata has been fixed. The easiest way to check if you have a fixed version is to compare the cost of the PDS on a race card to the one stated in the errata. If they match you can ignore the errata for the base game since you have a corrected printing. (Corrected printings for the expansions do not exist at this point.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ross
Ireland
Cork
Ireland
flag msg tools
The mysteries about how we evolved should not distract us from the indisputable fact that we did evolve. -- Jerry A. Coyne
badge
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. -- E E Cummings
mb
Be sure to check out this link http://www.preeminent.org/steve/games/ti3/ti3demo/3-player/h....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Gamache
Canada
St-Arsene
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember how many game of TI I played... oooh boy. Surely around 50 or so (since TI3 got out).

I say, buy the Core TI3 game + Shattered expansion.

Play with the TI3 basic rules (especially the Leader option that shouldn't be an option)
Play with the set of Strategic Cards from the Expansion and the races technologies.
Play with Imperial II (and all objectives open on the board and no Imperium Rex).

This is where you will get the most enjoyable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I really enjoy playing with the Leaders, but they're very hard to teach to new players. They don't count as units, towards capacity, or towards planetary control. Each of them has a different ability which has an exception and/or limiting factor on it.

The Age of Empires (revealed objectives at start of game) variant should be used when all players are new. With new and experienced players, the experienced players tend to get 5 VPs on Round 4, ending the game quite abruptly before the new players have finished feeling out the game.

To not bog down the first few games, be consistent with the rulings, write down the discrepancies, and confirm or deny them at the end of the game.

Pro-tip: War suns don't win the game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.