Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two more questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jani Pietikäinen
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First about Joe Diamond's special ability: It says that "he may re-roll the DIE a second time...". To my knowledge 'die' is a singular form, where 'dice' is plural. So how many dice can he re-roll twice (and how many dice can investigators re-roll when using clue tokens)..? My english language skills are far from perfect, so maybe I just don't read it right...
Any thoughts?

The other question is about the final fight: If an investigator is devoured in the final fight, new one is not chosen, that much is clear.
But does this leave kind of an empty space in the turn order, meaning that when the late investigator's turn would come again, they still advance the clock?
If this is not the case, then losing an investigator in the final fight doesn't make the fight any harder; the remaining investigators would just spontaneously start fighting faster than before... :>
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like they meant clue tokens to be used one way when writing the manual and another way when designing the cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
First about Joe Diamond's special ability: It says that "he may re-roll the DIE a second time...". To my knowledge 'die' is a singular form, where 'dice' is plural. So how many dice can he re-roll twice (and how many dice can investigators re-roll when using clue tokens)..? My english language skills are far from perfect, so maybe I just don't read it right...
Any thoughts?



I can tell you from talking with Richard Launius at GenCon that the intent is for Joe to re-roll as many as he wishes twice with clue tokens.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstax wrote:
Quote:
First about Joe Diamond's special ability: It says that "he may re-roll the DIE a second time...". To my knowledge 'die' is a singular form, where 'dice' is plural. So how many dice can he re-roll twice (and how many dice can investigators re-roll when using clue tokens)..? My english language skills are far from perfect, so maybe I just don't read it right...
Any thoughts?



I can tell you from talking with Richard Launius at GenCon that the intent is for Joe to re-roll as many as he wishes twice with clue tokens.


You mean "as many as he wishes twice with A SINGLE CLUE TOKEN", correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
essentially making one use of a clue token count as two uses.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You mean "as many as he wishes twice with A SINGLE CLUE TOKEN", correct?


Correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Pape
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see the second question addressed. The gamer in me would like to think that the clock advances even after a devoured players turn even though they didn't get to do anything. This also makes sense thematically. Maybe they just decided this was too hard though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bartolbe wrote:
I'd like to see the second question addressed. The gamer in me would like to think that the clock advances even after a devoured players turn even though they didn't get to do anything. This also makes sense thematically. Maybe they just decided this was too hard though.
Yes, it is written in the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jani Pietikäinen
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, Olivier, what is written in the rules? Clock does advance after a devoured investigator's turn, or not?
I've read the rules through so many times in frustration of all these questions, but I can't remember seeing this one
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When a character is devoured during the final battle, he is out of the game. He doesn't roll an attack or advance the clock. Yes I suppose that technically means that the other characters have suddenly begun to fight faster, but that's the way the rules are written.

If you need a thematic explanation to feel comfortable with it, then maybe just assume that the other characters are fighting more fiercely after having seen one of their friends get devoured. Or perhaps the ancient one is fighting a little slower because he's busy digesting his latest victim.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pietu85 wrote:
Sorry, Olivier, what is written in the rules? Clock does advance after a devoured investigator's turn, or not?
I've read the rules through so many times in frustration of all these questions, but I can't remember seeing this one

Sorry!!! blush

If the active player’s
investigator is devoured, the player must still perform the Advance
the Clock step of his turn (but no other steps). So one Advance the Clock after being devoured then finished, because ha can no longer be the active player.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grouik wrote:
If the active player’s investigator is devoured, the player must still perform the Advance the Clock step of his turn (but no other steps).


Your answer isn't supported by the rulebook. It's fine to play with variants, but the official rule is that a devoured player is out of the game. This is made very clear on page 12 where the rulebook states:
Quote:
Any player whose investigator is devoured during the battle is out of the game, but may still win if other investigators defeat the Ancient One.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reference is page 11. blush
But you are right not part of the final battle.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.