Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've been looking at electric keyboards for some time (nothing fancy as I'm not rich and I haven't touched a piano in something like 5 years) because I want to get back into playing.

Well, turns out for my birthday on Wednesday my parents picked one up for me. Currently the only two books I own are for Phantom of the Opera and Rent. I'm looking into a few more books that might be fun to start to play from.

So I turn to you, my friend geeks, for inspiration. What books should I pick up that will be fun, possibly geeky, or just plain good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a ton of free piano sheet music:
http://www.8notes.com/piano_sheet_music.asp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. Thanks, Morgan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I can already feel the inspiration...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duh, everything I do is inspired by Ross.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any of the "Real Books"? Those are chock full of fun pieces of music.

Also, I like fake books. They give me the leeway to improvise while still following along a general melody and chord structure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowen wrote:
Do you have any of the "Real Books"? Those are chock full of fun pieces of music.

Also, I like fake books. They give me the leeway to improvise while still following along a general melody and chord structure.

I don't, but I'll definitely check them out. Thanks! It's been so long since I've played at all, I forgot how much of a stress reliever it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowen wrote:

Yeah, fake books are great (because they give you a lot of songs for a low price), but only if you know your chords. If the only way you can play is strictly through sight reading, you're better off with standard sheet music (even though most of those arrangements tend to be pretty stiff).

If you're a reasonably advanced player and you like the Disney animated films, I'd recommend some of the later Alan Menken scores, like Hunchback of Notre Dame or Pocohantas. These are pretty sophisticated and Hunchback in particular is quite challenging (and a remarkable piece of work by Menken). Menken's earlier scores, like Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin are also excellent, but the arrangements are less intricate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Shadowen wrote:

Yeah, fake books are great (because they give you a lot of songs for a low price), but only if you know your chords. If the only way you can play is strictly through sight reading, you're better off with standard sheet music (even though most of those arrangements tend to be pretty stiff).

If you're a reasonably advanced player and you like the Disney animated films, I'd recommend some of the later Alan Menken scores, like Hunchback of Notre Dame or Pocohantas. These are pretty sophisticated and Hunchback in particular is quite challenging (and a remarkable piece of work by Menken). Menken's earlier scores, like Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin are also excellent, but the arrangements are less intricate.

I hadn't even thought of Disney scores. That's a fantastic idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmmm...Halloween is coming up. Perhaps I need to look into seeing if there's a book for Horror film theme songs. I'd think there'd have to be somewhere out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.