United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
What is the ideal number of investigators to use when playing a solo game?

ideal = not too hard, not too easy
      54 answers
Poll created by zenmazster

Feel free to add any comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One for me, because there is enough going on in the game for me as it is without having to keep track of a second or more investigators. Would make things a bit too fiddly imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me its one. In my solo, one investigator games, they are always close, but I've only lost once.

I feel like this is probably a game where adding more investigators adds to the difficulty, as item cards will be distributed among them, instead of all with one character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sly
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
For me its one. In my solo, one investigator games, they are always close, but I've only lost once.

I feel like this is probably a game where adding more investigators adds to the difficulty, as item cards will be distributed among them, instead of all with one character.

It seems like things would balance out pretty well using one or multiple investigators. As you say, using multiple investigators would mean items would be diluted more, but on the flip side, it also means the stamina and sanity hits are being distributed among the crew instead of just one poor soul. Assisting would also be great to have for certain adventures.

One problem with using one investigator is it seems like some might be unbalanced and give you an unfair advantage if using them solely. For example, last night I randomly drew Kate Winthrop and used her for the first time. Her special ability says "No monsters may appear on Kate's turn and she is not affected by Terror Effects" So I take that to mean no monsters will appear the entire game then, no? Which is one heck of an ability.

I'm going to try a couple games tonight with two or three investigators and see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JRSly wrote:
jobin13 wrote:

It seems like things would balance out pretty well using one or multiple investigators. As you say, using multiple investigators would mean items would be diluted more, but on the flip side, it also means the stamina and sanity hits are being distributed among the crew instead of just one poor soul. Assisting would also be great to have for certain adventures.

One problem with using one investigator is it seems like some might be unbalanced and give you an unfair advantage if using them solely. For example, last night I randomly drew Kate Winthrop and used her for the first time. Her special ability says "No monsters may appear on Kate's turn and she is not affected by Terror Effects" So I take that to mean no monsters will appear the entire game then, no? Which is one heck of an ability.

I'm going to try a couple games tonight with two or three investigators and see how it goes.

Actually wasn't Kate's ability errata'd to read: once per 'day'. So you could only use that once in a 12 hour period. Still a good ability, but I think the card was misprinted, per the FAQ here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:

Actually wasn't Kate's ability errata'd to read: once per 'day'. So you could only use that once in a 12 hour period. Still a good ability, but I think the card was misprinted, per the FAQ here.

Are you thinking of Mandy (from once per turn to once per day), as opposed to Kate?

If not, can you cite a thread reference? Thanks.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rule that "no monsters appear on her turn" as monsters required by an adventure card success or failure or a terror effect. (Possibly even by addition of doom token if it is added by you failing her adventure attempt).

So you would still get monsters spawned from "At Midnight" effects or Mythos cards, or Doom Tokens from Mythos cards as those are not really happening on her turn, but in the phases between her turns.

Oh yeah. I use one investigator when I play solo. Be aware, that the doctor and psychologist are broken vs Ithqua and Hastur respectively in a final battle scenario due to their special abilities as written making it impossible for those GOOs to defeat them. (Gaining of 4 stamina/sanity per day (1 per turn) when the GOO does 2 damage per day).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajMalfunction10 wrote:
I would rule that "no monsters appear on her turn" as monsters required by an adventure card success or failure or a terror effect. (Possibly even by addition of doom token if it is added by you failing her adventure attempt).

So you would still get monsters spawned from "At Midnight" effects or Mythos cards, or Doom Tokens from Mythos cards as those are not really happening on her turn, but in the phases between her turns.

Oh yeah. I use one investigator when I play solo. Be aware, that the doctor and psychologist are broken vs Ithqua and Hastur respectively in a final battle scenario due to their special abilities as written making it impossible for those GOOs to defeat them. (Gaining of 4 stamina/sanity per day (1 per turn) when the GOO does 2 damage per day).

Unless you use my "Final Battle Hard Mode" variant where you only get one turn each day to attack the GOO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Barrett
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bloke wrote:
Where is there errata for tis game? None exists on the FFG site.

I don't think FFG will get the Errata up until we've all finished beta testing the game for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Barrett
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My comment was in jest, but I believe you're right; there is no official errata (that I know of), only the FAQ on this site (which as far as I know isn't official).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb
One investigator, drawn at random. Replaced with another single when he/she inevitably goes insane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.