Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Marx
United States
Tarpon Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Emergence for the third time last night and finally won.

The first time (2 player) didn't count because like many others, I missed the fact that you're supposed to remove general card 7 from the AI deck, so we had way too many enemies right on top of us. Total slaughter.

The second time (3 player), I hadn't looked at the back of card 2, so I wasn't expecting so many Locust to show up after we sealed the hole. We ended up with all 3 boomers, 3 drones, and 4 wretches all within 3 movement and we got wiped out.

This time (2 player) we had the long corridor map; 16a - 2a - 12a - 9a, with the grenades conveniently positioned next to the emergence hole. We had some bad rolls at the beginning getting bogged down on the first tile, but eventually managed to rodie run/follow across the map. It took 4 grenades to close the hole, but after the big spawn and an AI card, we ended up with all 3 boomers in one area. After Cole wounded two, Marcus threw in a grenade. 5 wounds on the attack dice and every boomer went down in one shot. Mop up and victory.

I love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4-0 is my current count (all plays on Emergence), 6/8 on chainsaw, 4/4 on grenade vs emergence hole (even though I do stock up on them, always gotten it sealed with a single 'nade). Even not knowing there were nasties coming in stage II, Guard action should most of the time take out one Boomer and you should survive attack from one Boomer, unless you have Cole as one of the COGs and he guards and kills another. Overkill on Hammerburst kicks ass (better range than Lancer and omen = 2 wounds, even if it only happens once). Had COGs bleeding out twice in those four games, both in the same game, Cole got bit too aggressive with the Mortar blush . Still, he took out a Boomer and three other Locusts, while also hitting himself with it. Luckily, Marcus managed to crawl to Cole, who on his turn then discarded one to revive, then back to back Sit Tights, followed by Cole Dig In on the third turn and both COGs were back to max just like that. Helped that there were no Locusts around at that point, so didn't need to draw anybody closer. I prefer to guard from cover, better to use one card to kill a Locust than possible take 2+ cards worth of damage (Boomers). Plus, getting rid an enemy is one less you have to worry about later (whereas if you discard for dodge, might avoid damage but the Locust is still there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MJ Kuchenbrod

Cary
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Took me two tries tonight. Playing solo. From what I can tell on Single player, the trick is to just rush to the exit as much as possible, and blow up the emergence hole. Otherwise you can get swamped with Boomers / Enemies real quick (the reinforcement card = BS!!!!). And that's what happened to me the first game. Second time around though, I rushed as best I could, taking out enemies along the way, and was able to run quick enough away to save my butt.

There may be a slight advantage to single player though, as I found the way I was able to take out the big enemies was a 2 card combo. I discarded a Follow card so I could "shift" one space (solo rule), and then used slaughter to pop back into the area with an enemy. 3 attacks then with Marcus, and you can use your lancer ability to almost always get an instant kill unless you're rolling horrible.

So far I like the game. Not to bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Boomers are immune to chainsaw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I only played once so far, but lost. Screwed a lot of things up. Some in my favor, most not in my favor. Actually, the only mistake I made in my favor was chainsawing a Boomer. Realized halfway through that I shouldn;t have been able to do that. I did a lot of things, though that made it more difficult:
-Did not remove General AI card 7 from the deck
-When the setup said, "seal all emergence holes except the one nearest the exit", I read it as tile nearest the exit, which in my setup turned out to be 12A, which has two emergence holes. I left them both open
-I was using Baird as one of my COGs and when picking up grenades, I was discarding an order card when I didn't have to (the thing that makes this mistake worse is that I picked Baird for that very power)
-I was putting Boomers into cover.

Even with all these mistakes, I still had a chance to beat level 1,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.