Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N/A
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After almost a year of equivocating, my wife and I finally got FotM to the table this month. So far I've been happy with the new challenges posed by managing the natural resources on the farm spaces and heating the home.

However, as with regular Agricola, we're drawn to the allure of the cards. Right now we're slowly working our way through the provided E and F minor improvement decks, but I have questions about how to best incorporate the decks from the base game. And if it's even worth incorporating said decks.

So: When playing a complexity level 2 game, including just the minor improvements, from which of the base-game decks do you draw the minors? And for Variant 2/complexity level 3, are there decks that play better or worse with FotM (both ocks and minors)?

I'm not looking for a list of specific broken or banned cards -- I'm just trying to get a feel for which decks seem to be best integrated with FotM. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Level 2 only incorporates the "FotM" Minors, not base game. If you do decide to add base game Minors to a Level 2 game, you'll obviously have to remove all Minors that have Ock requirements, or figure out some way to otherwise allow them.

When playing Level 3 (which we almost invariably do), the Ugoi like to throw in most everything. Most typically, a complement of 4-5 base game Ocks, 3-4 G-Deck Ocks, often seasoned with a few C- and O-Deckers; for Minors, it's usually 3-5 FotM Minors, 3-5 base game, 3-5 G-Deckers, and sometimes a few C- and O-Deckers. Boil 'em down and have at it.

I've never really noticed much in the way of cards that are incompatible with "FotM" games at Level 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. Seems like your group enjoys an "anything and everything and the kitchen sink" approach to the cards. Maybe we'll start with a mix of the E and I decks and ease our way in.

MisterG wrote:
Level 2 only incorporates the "FotM" Minors, not base game. If you do decide to add base game Minors to a Level 2 game, you'll obviously have to remove all Minors that have Ock requirements, or figure out some way to otherwise allow them.

The level 2 rules suggested "Players should agree whether to play with the cards from the Basic or Advanced deck, to mix the two together, or to add cards from the base game of Agricola" (emphasis mine), but I wasn't sure of the usual/preferred method of play (and thus my query here). I wasn't aware that there were that many minors (or any, actually) that had ock requirements -- something for me to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Adverb wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Seems like your group enjoys an "anything and everything and the kitchen sink" approach to the cards. Maybe we'll start with a mix of the E and I decks and ease our way in.

We do, by and large. And easing your way in with just one deck or another is a fine way to go.

Adverb wrote:
MisterG wrote:

The level 2 rules suggested "Players should agree whether to play with the cards from the Basic or Advanced deck, to mix the two together, or to add cards from the base game of Agricola" (emphasis mine), but I wasn't sure of the usual/preferred method of play (and thus my query here). I wasn't aware that there were that many minors (or any, actually) that had ock requirements -- something for me to consider.

About 30% of them, iirc. And I'd forgotten about that little recommendation from the rules. There are slight differences in the composition of the two "FotM" decks (see my review elsewhere), but nothing terribly significant. We mixed them together from the start and have never bothered separating them again (likewise for the base game decks).

Beyond that, I'd say there probably isn't any universal "usual/preferred" method of play. Whatever shoes your horse, so to speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.