Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Sizemore
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just starting to learn PoG, and I'm looking for options for online/PBEM games.

First, I'm a Mac user, so the platform needs to be Mac compatible. Also, while I would rather play in realtime, the reality of my life means I would most likely need something which also allows a game to be continued over several days/weeks as I have time to make moves.

I would be thankful for recommendations from anyone who has experience with the various platforms that are out there.

thanks!

Ogre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use VASSAL. That is really the best I have found. I am a mac user. Have always been a mac user.

I have been playing another a game as you describe. I would be willing to play with you if you wish.

William
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than VASSAL, the other option that best fits your requirements is Wargameroom. The game is rules-enforced (unlike VASSAL), is live play only, and you can save games and resume them later. The downside--if this matters to you--is that it looks substantially crappier (albeit perfectly functional). On a Mac, you'll need to open a Terminal window and launch it from the command line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Finally, if you don't want to play in realtime there is ACTS at http://acts.warhorsesim.com/

It only takes care of dice rolls and cards, so that you can play through your e-mail account at any odd point of the day that you have a second to think about it. Games on ACTS tend to be much slower paced, with players doing one or two moves a day. If both are logged in at the same time, it can go much faster of course.

To keep track of the board, I use CyberBoard. Cyberboard is essentially a program where you can move the units around like if they were on a real board. Usually both players keep track of their own moves, but it's also possible to exchange "move files" so that both boards agree.

I'm not sure if Cyberboard works on Macs (one would assume it would), but you can also use an offline Vassal game to the same purpose.

As to wargameroom, as stated above - the older games such as WW or PoG do not have game graphics portrayed in game so yes, it does look crappy. Newly coded games like HiS or Wellington use a scan of the real map and are much more close to the real board. It's my poison of choice when I want to play in real time, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xatham wrote:
I'm not sure if Cyberboard works on Macs (one would assume it would)

It does not--it's PC software. If you own Parallels ($80 retail), VMWare Fusion ($50 retail) or some other software that can provide a virtualized PC environment on a Mac, you could run it inside of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Sizemore
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raynovich wrote:
I use VASSAL. That is really the best I have found. I am a mac user. Have always been a mac user.

I have been playing another a game as you describe. I would be willing to play with you if you wish.

William

Well, if you don't mind watching me flail up the steep learning curves of both Vassal and PoG at the same time, then I would be willing to give it a try.

I've got the PoG module downloaded, and I think I've got the basic mechanics down. How about you do the initial set up and send me the saved game? My direct e-mail is andy.sizemore@yahoo.com.

thanks,

Ogre

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoelCFC25 wrote:
Other than VASSAL, the other option that best fits your requirements is Wargameroom. The game is rules-enforced (unlike VASSAL), is live play only, and you can save games and resume them later. The downside--if this matters to you--is that it looks substantially crappier (albeit perfectly functional). On a Mac, you'll need to open a Terminal window and launch it from the command line.

I have tried a few times to get Wargameroom working on my mac. I have a top line mac. I have not successfully got it working yet.

If you are able to help me get it working I would be much appreciative. Yes, I have tried to open the game from the terminal window.

William

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a post describing how to launch Wargameroom apps from Terminal on a Mac: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/3715423#3715423

Once you're in Terminal and have successfully changed directories to where you unpacked the application, type in this on the command line:

java -Xmx256M -cp . pog

I did this just now and it fires right up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.